View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Yes, yes the sleeping arrangements can be precious. My youngest daughter is special needs. But she can lay down on Mr. Man without even an eyelid flicker, then he'll give this great deep sigh and snuggle in a bit closer to her. Breed ban advocates see man eating monsters, I see a happy satisfied pup loving his humans.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Chihuahua Betty, clever bright skittish little thing, loves her walks but never stops to sniff it's like a route march going out with her. Ideal for fitness walking ! Only vice is her cleverness because she is cleverer than us !!

Labrador Elsie, daft lump of a dog, completely scatty and over excited. So concentrated on Betty and us she also never stops to sniff when walking.
Only vice is barking as she walks, so over excited she just barks for joy, which is blooming annoying and we spend most of the walk saying NO ! When she calms down I am confident she will have no vices at all as she is a good girl already just this barking driving us mad.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
The only pug I know really is my dog walker friends. I don't see the dog very often because she does to get walked. She an ancient rescued ex brood bitch with lots of health problems, of course, and she just follows Nikki around, bow legged and snorting, waiting for her to sit down so she can climb on her lap (well actually be picked up because she can't climb or jump) and lick her trousers. Lol.....she might be a bit special.
I think a lot of people have the impression that Pugs do nothing but sit on your lap tbh. Mine manage a 2 hour walk every day and still come home and play fight. Of course they love to sit with their owners it's what they were originally bred for, they're companion dogs and maybe if not well bred (don't get me started) or belong to little old ladies they may well be sedate. I'm not yet in my dotage and my 3 have been brought up with Dobermanns and a Staffie, sedate they ain't I'll do my best to keep them fit and active for as long as possible, I know it's doable cos we know a pretty fit 16 year old Pug who's still crackers and fights for attention with the youngsters whenever anyone visits. Oh and reading Julies post my Pugs bark as an olympic event, they are so excited to be up the woods the 5 mins or so they don't shut up, they run and chase each other barking their heads off. Excitable just a tad
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2014, 09:49 AM
LOL when ever I have seen over excited dogs barking on lead prior to Elsie I have thought I couldn't put up with that ! Now with my own barker I am learning to either put up with it or pray she calms down eventually.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

30-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
LOL when ever I have seen over excited dogs barking on lead prior to Elsie I have thought I couldn't put up with that ! Now with my own barker I am learning to either put up with it or pray she calms down eventually.

Mine are off lead on lead they are as good as gold. I try to think of it as them displaying how happy they are to be running free
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Oh no this is on lead she is just so over excited it's almost impossible so far to stop her. We are trying the stop and wait until she is quiet before setting off again now. The NO wasn't working for long we had 6 steps then woof woof woof, now we have stop and wait quiet 10 steps then woof woof woof. Hoping she will get it eventually !

Mind you found her sitting in her water bowl eating her biscuit this morning - every wet bum so not entirely sure we are working with a full deck upstairs with her LOL
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-05-2014, 11:03 AM
I love most things about Ella. I most of the things I don't like her doing she does because it used to be reinforced in some way or she does it out of trauma.

I love how cuddly she is though I don't appreciate the constant licking (found a way to stop her most of the time though).
I love her intelligence, she learns very quickly and is very curious!
She's also very happy and seems to love life, I really like seeing that as it makes me happy too

What I like less is her hyperexcitability. This seems to be a breed trait as it's very common in staffies. I think, like Catrin said, they're very adrenaline bound dogs so it's important to keep their excitement down.
She used to bark constantly at us on walks and run around like mad. We've now stopped playing ball with her as this gets her over the top obsessed with it, and she's really nice and calm on walks, potters around, sniffs loads of things and is just a lot more relaxed and happy (doesn't bark half as much now!).
Because of her excitability she's still more quickly anxious and stressed, but she's turned into the kind of dog I really like. I just have to make sure she doesn't get too much excitement and we're good!
She's loving, loyal, attentive, happy, mostly relaxed, playful, cuddly etc. the list goes on
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Adding to the pug discussion. One of Callie's favorite playmates is a pug named Bella. So cute watching them play. Bella is cat sized so she's fast. Callie huffs and puffs to play tag with her. Good workout for both of them.
It 's like human children sometimes though. We look at the dogs of others and think "I would NEVER let my dog...". Bella is truly adorable, hyper happy and friendly. But she is allowed to steal food right off the table.
When we visited awhile ago we had pizza for dinner. If anyone got up from their chair Bella would sprint up the chair, grab food off a plate and bounce to the floor. Her humans think it's cute.
Poor Callie will have drool strands to the floor but at human mealtime both our dogs sit quietly. We do offer them goodies too, but they wouldn't think of helping themselves.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2014, 11:08 PM
Rosie is a Border Terrier and I have to say that I've yet to come across a 'con' with her.

She is sweet, cute, loving and mischievous. She's up for as much exercise as we want to give, but loves to chill out too.

She is just such an easy dog
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

31-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
Adding to the pug discussion. One of Callie's favorite playmates is a pug named Bella. So cute watching them play. Bella is cat sized so she's fast. Callie huffs and puffs to play tag with her. Good workout for both of them.
It 's like human children sometimes though. We look at the dogs of others and think "I would NEVER let my dog...". Bella is truly adorable, hyper happy and friendly. But she is allowed to steal food right off the table.
When we visited awhile ago we had pizza for dinner. If anyone got up from their chair Bella would sprint up the chair, grab food off a plate and bounce to the floor. Her humans think it's cute.
Poor Callie will have drool strands to the floor but at human mealtime both our dogs sit quietly. We do offer them goodies too, but they wouldn't think of helping themselves.
That's a training issue though isn't it. The way I see it is if the behaviour would be unacceptable from a large dog it should be equally unacceptable from a small one.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >