View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks everyone - still waiting for the vet to ring .

Loki seems fine now, if a bit tired - he's been lounging on the bed (yes I'm spoiling him ) and being fairly quiet, so I'm letting him rest. He's had a little to eat. It's just all so shocking, I still can't believe it happened. There was no warning signs, nothing out of the ordinary. I've been reading about seizures etc. and there were obviously some similarities but not all and the stages I've read about (the aura and the post effects) weren't there at all.

I am really hoping it was some temporary illness or something he licked outside. I have read that epilepsy is treated with phenobarbital but that treatment should really only start if this becomes a regular occurance. I hate the idea of drug therapy but if that's the way things go, we'd have no choice, I guess. I've also read things about Taurine being implicated in this kind of thing but I'm no nutritionist so would be reluctant to start supplementing too heavily. He does eat meat every day and a good, varied diet, together with one commercial meal (Burns) so I would have hoped his nutrition was good, but you don't know for sure.

We've never used Frontline on him (I have given him garlic in his dinner, just a pinch) so it can't be related to that.

Yes - one of the Utonagan breeders has mentioned epilepsy on her website that has been traced back to one b*tch that was used in breeding way back by some ******* breeder who I suspect was turfed out. Hopefully I will get to speak to the good breeder later, after I speak to the vet.

Low blood sugar is another thing and I wonder if he was a bit down on that this morning. He had (unusually for Loki as he usually has brown rice with his dinner) potato yesterday and I think that causes sugar surges followed by lows.

Anyway, I will ring the vet again shortly if they don't contact me.

Thanks.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 02:59 PM
We had a working Springer who used to suffer from the odd 'fit'. It was caused by low blood sugar....used to mostly affect him when he was out working, similar symptoms as you have described Lokis to be. Sometimes they also seemed to be triggered when he was in the water...perhaps the cold.we just used to carry sweet biscuits and glucose tablets in our pockets. He would have a quick rest and then carry on working....he lived until he was 16 so no long lasting ill effects.

As the others have said it could be a number of things, or it may just be a one off.
I do hope the vets can put your mind at ease
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 04:41 PM
That's worth remembering, thanks Het. I just found another article which mentions vanilla ice-cream and spoon fuls of honey.

The vet rang - blood tests are absolutely fine so she can only suggest keeping a close eye on him and see how things go.

One good thing - a pizza leaflet came through the door and he was immediately his usual self; racing off with it in the hope of a game of 'catch me if you can' .
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 04:46 PM
aww Ls what can i say poor loki thats how shiloh was the other day but hes fine now and im so glad the vet had rang you and told you that all is well sending big big hgs to you and loki
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks BMLover - strange that they should both suffer something similar at the same time. Do you think Shiloh had a seizure?
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 05:37 PM
i dont think so dad has just come back from the vets with him as ive been so worried shiloh has what they call a doggy cold so hes on antibiotics to clear it up the vet checked him out and said that he is a real healthy young boy so im realy pleased with that and its alot of my mind i know its strange that they should both go down with it the same time but in different ways but at least loki is fine and shiloh is fine
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Thank goodness for that then Lucky, he sounds a lot better now.

Now, this is a total stab in the dark here, but you remember that awful virus that was going around recently? My husband had it and he said he felt like his head was being held in a vice and he was trembling, sick,shaky, sweaty and in the end the NHS direct sent out an ambulance for him! Well, I'm just thinking, what if a dog was to get this virus?? Might give them the symptoms Loki had and it's strange that Shiloh had similar isn't it? I mean, a dog who suddenly has a terrible headache might make him do what Loki did? Dog's don't normally get headaches do they, so it would be quite a shock to them?

also, I think Het might have a good explaination there too? Have you asked the vet if he could do a diabetes test, it's only a matter of a urine sample? You could also ask him if there's something you could do at home on a daily basis to check his blood sugar level? Hopefully a urine test and not the blood, although you can get those little digital test machines from boots and test his blood if you know what his sugar level should be? Obviously not before speaking to the vet!!!

Just thought these points might be helpful, as I know how worried you must be about your poor baby. Hope he doesn't have any more symptoms and gets better quickly too.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Don't fret honey - epilepsy (if that's what it is) is very easy to control with the right dose of medication. Mishu (past Shiba) was epileptic and thanks to the meds, I only ever saw one fit.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 07:59 PM
You must have been very shaken up and extremely worried about Loki - I am glad the blood test came back fine.

Perhaps it is something like Het suggested? Hopefully it is nothing too worrying for you, big hugs go out to you, it must have given you a fright.

Glad to hear Loki back to usual!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2006, 02:00 AM
He had two more seizures this evening. Really worried now.

I've been reading that rosemary oil can bring on attacks in dogs prone to it and this is used as a preservative in the Burns kibble and Kelties he gets. Has anyone else heard of this?
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >