View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Luckily, it's not a tourist beach, as it's in the middle of nowhere. When the sea is out it goes out about 3 miles, so there is lots of lovely flat sand to run on.

If they banned dogs from the beach, then I wouldn't take him on (but they'd also have to ban horses as well, and the local community would hate that).
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Luckily, it's not a tourist beach, as it's in the middle of nowhere. When the sea is out it goes out about 3 miles, so there is lots of lovely flat sand to run on.

If they banned dogs from the beach, then I wouldn't take him on (but they'd also have to ban horses as well, and the local community would hate that).
They manage it here
But whilst we are on the subject, I think horse riders should have to pick up after there beasts when they are on the roads
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 11:47 AM
We're on a well ridden road, and I often go out with my spade and barrow and shovel it up for my compost!!

(Sad, I know!)
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 11:57 AM
:smt038 :smt043 :smt043 Never thought of that.
I'm in a very built up area, I think I might get some funny looks, but guess where I will be next time I hear the horse go by
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Glad You were ok and Max stopped, we have idiots like that in our woods too, and nothing ever seems to be done about them. If I hear a bike I try to avoid the path they're on, don't think these boys realise if they hit a dog they could kill them selves in the process.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Redcount View Post
you should keep dogs on leash . why would'nt people ride bikes when gun dogs are around?
Think you might have misunderstood, these are not pedal bikes like people in India have. They are dangerous engine driven bikes and on most British beaches they are (rightly) banned.

Originally Posted by Redcount View Post
its much safer for the dogs and hunting dogs chase anything that moves fast. when i take out my m udhole hounds a keep them on leash as they sprint after anything that moves
Are you one of those people who never let your dogs of lead to run around?

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
There is usually nothing on the beach except for other dog walkers and the occasional kite flyer or horse rider
So, to paraphrase Redcount, why wouldn't you let him off leash?? I support your reasons for walking Max 'off leash' on the beach and your story illustrates to me the wonderful, everlasting joy, of dog ownership. Namely that no matter how big, how numerous, how noisy, if your dog perceives something to be a danger to the pack they will 'go for it' and try to protect the 'pack' which in this case is you & him.

And so glad your 'command' got him out of trouble.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 06:25 PM
So glad he's safe. We get them on the beach here as well even though they're banned. We call the police EVERY time and report them. It's the only way anything will get done.
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2007, 06:38 PM
I despair for this country, where yobs, joyriders, gun-toting farmers etc are allowed to do what they want, but if your dog poops somewhere, all hell is let loose. Getting very, very angry now!!
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 06:54 PM
You poor things so glad Max stopped, what on earth were they thinking
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Young lads keep riding their mopeds on the park near me on an evening
They go up and down the football fields, pulling skids.
It scares Teagan sometimes, and I'm scared she will go after them and get hurt!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >