Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Crysania , do you think your parents have a better bond with the dog as they visited a few times before bringing pp home?
I don't think it really did much about the bond, but it's hard to say. I can't say they were any less bonded to Pepper, our previous dog, who they picked out at 8 weeks and brought home that day (Pepper was part of an "oops" litter).

I think that visiting the puppy before bringing her home helped in a couple ways:

(1) She was familiar with us, with our smells. We had handled her and had given them a blanket to put in with her that smelled like us, etc. So going home with us wasn't completely foreign to her. She was pretty relaxed the first night with us.

(2) We had a name picked out and so the breeder started calling her by that name. It meant she was already learning her name before she came home to us, which was also helpful!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Syd I picked at 4 weeks and although given the opportunity to take a different pup as he'd damaged the end of his docked tail I stuck with my choice.
Rio I technically picked at 4 weeks but she was one of only 2 brown bitches in the litter and the breeder had first choice and I was having withever one the breeder didn't keep. So the breeder basically decided for me and we still joke she gave me the gobby one
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Tempermant wise we have never had a shy one In a litter here! They have all been pretty much the same, out going, friendly, loveable pups. Dont care who comes In and out will welcome anyone even at the little age of 5weeks old. I know alot of breeders say they have shy ones, or ones that dont bother with people or play as much ect. But we have never once had that. we have had pups that have been more bold than others, with mega attitude, but never one with drawn, shy or any different to the others In the litter.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Tess and Jamie, didn't have much choice as Tess was only pup available... Jamie was brought back from Devon with his brother and sister (not available) when 7.5wks and luckily I fell head over heels for him!! Deacon I chose at 11 days old and he stood out consistently over the next 6 weeks, I was told I could change my mind, I didn't and inspite of his skin issue and being a puppy brat, I don't regret my baby. Codee she was one of three left, only female, only pale orange, I wanted a black and white boy, which the two others were and I picked her at 5/6wks!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Tempermant wise we have never had a shy one In a litter here! They have all been pretty much the same, out going, friendly, loveable pups. Dont care who comes In and out will welcome anyone even at the little age of 5weeks old. I know alot of breeders say they have shy ones, or ones that dont bother with people or play as much ect. But we have never once had that. we have had pups that have been more bold than others, with mega attitude, but never one with drawn, shy or any different to the others In the litter.
Then it does not really matter what age you choose then does it??
Conformation wise I can understand waiting - but temperament wise it does not seem to make a difference.
_Charlotte_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2010, 04:14 PM
I have chosen the pup I'm getting from pictures when he was only hours old, but I'm not allowed to visit him until he is 3 weeks, can't wait til I visit him tho'
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-07-2010, 05:04 PM
I didn't pick Kali - he picked me! A lick on my nose during close examination sealed the deal - he was a whole three weeks old! The farmer who "bred" him kept him for four weeks after that, and called him by the name we had chosen.

Snorri-dog was unplanned - on a visit back to the farm, we met him, and took him on because he was almost identical to Kali! He was 10 weeks old when he came to his new home with us.

Thorgeir was almost two months old when we got him.

All three were farm-born, so didn't have breeders, as such.

Snorri
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2010, 06:08 PM
The pup's i've chosen from the litters i've bred were chosen at about 5 weeks old, when the can get up and stand four square.

My spitz however, erm....... Ivan was the last one left, Gretchen was the only available bitch and Kammi the only bitch....... next one is going to be the opposite number to the one the breeder isn't keeping.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 06:13 PM
I probably did it all wrong but it worked out fine for me. I saw Tilly's litter at 8 weeks old, fell in love with her and took her home that day. I know, i know but it was love at first sight!
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Tess is also farm-born, we first met her and her mum and siblings at 4 weeks... fell in love with Tess but were told we weren't allowed to pick until one week later... the dog's owner had first pick, the "breeder" had second pick and we were third on the list....went back again at 5 weeks and then Tess picked us...

the lady who bred her was at first planning on keeping her, but agreed that we could have her as she obviously wanted us.... (much to the annoyance of her own children ) ....

we visited once a week (without prior appointment as I wanted to check that she really was growing up in a family environment and not stuck in a barn ) until we picked her up at exactly 8 weeks...

after picking her up we went straight to our vet who is also a family friend.... he did a thorough puppy check and even contacted the vet who had taken care of the litter until then to make sure all was above board health wise, also regarding her mum and dad... and then we finally took her home checked and chipped....

Why did we go to so much trouble with the vet straight away? Because she wasn't from an official registered breeder and so I wasn't taking any chances...and also because as our friend he wanted to make sure we were making a good decision... it was his idea that we came straight to him after picking her up.... just in case he found something wrong... then theoretically it would have been easier emotionally to take her back straight away...

the farm we got her from had bred before (one litter prior to this one... and Tess' mum Zoe (now 4 years old) was from this previous litter)... Truth be told I fell in love with Tess' mum before I fell in love with Tess... Zoe is absolutely lovely character-wise,: loving, great with children and her pups, and full of fun... not a nasty bone in her body... not much real work ethic either though .... and Tess was the pup that interacted with Zoe the most....

I know very little about her dad though other then the fact that he is a working dog, bred on Scotland (also farm-born), and his name is Duke..... and healthwise he checks out fine (he has the same vet as the vet who helped Tess through her first 8 weeks...three cheers for the vets network to get more info about a pup )...

that's the reason these two were bred apparently.... the pups would be a good mix of Zoe's lovely character and Duke's working drive.... and in Tess this has definitely worked.... ok, she's turned out with hair a bit shorter then we expected but she's lovely and eager to please in every way!!!

wow... this was a long post.... sorry.... but get me started on Tess and I can talk all night....

ok, you can wake up now... rant over....
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »