View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 07:57 PM
awe poor toby... yes its a prolonged agony now for dogs with weeks on end of bangs and crashes...
hugs
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
awe poor toby... yes its a prolonged agony now for dogs with weeks on end of bangs and crashes...
hugs
It is, I think as somone else said, the sound is so suddon, i think it gives the poor dogs the fright of there lives. Toby knows they are in the sky, sometimes when planes go overhead, he gives them a funny look as though he's waiting for them to go off in a bang!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 09:44 PM
I don`t take my dogs out if fireworks are going off - even in daylight (WHY do they do that?) in case they panic.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 12:01 AM
I have one dog who is petrified and one who loves nothing better than going in the garden and jumping up at them in the sky.
Things are alot better since i moved out of town to the village. In town it would start now and go right up to Christmas. Now we have one big firework display (in the field behind my house) on one night then that's the end of it til say Christmas/New Year.
I did think about taking them out to see if it would help but my girl is so scared, i decided against it and just make her comfortable. I set up hideaways round the house. One in the cupboard upstairs. One behind the sofa and her cage in the utility has a blanket over it permanently (just incase of thunderstorms). I stay in as although i know you shouldn't fuss them (which i don't) she likes to have me near and will follow me from room to room and hide where she can.
It breaks my heart seeing her panting and drooling and shaking but I decided to not take the gamble and making it worse. I've actually thought of hiring a remote cottage for bonfire weekend just to give her some peace
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2008, 12:23 AM
It is heartbreaking not to be able to do anything to help them when thier so frightened and distraught, hooch does the same as your dog, pants shakes and drools, over the last couple of years i'v found that like you making some safe places for him and then just trying to ignore his distress seems to be the only thing i can do, poor loves
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 05:35 AM
Know what you mean Hun.....I walk Bruce and Skye but then fireworks don't bother them in the slightest, to be honest I think those two would willingly go to a ''firework Party''

However Reah doesn't like them and wouldn't go for a walk, so I leave her behind with Pat.

She has a walk in the day, but when it gets near to this time of year I usually pop a lead on her because if one went off she'd be gone.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 10:21 AM
it must be so upsetting to see your dogs like that.. huge hugs..
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 10:35 AM
If fireworks go off when we are walking, the dogs take no notice at all. We've even had fireworks in the garden before and the dogs have watched them.

However, if we are in the house watching TV etc, then all hell breaks loose. They're not scared of them per se, they just jump up, run to the back door and bark as if we're being burgaled
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Fudge is an expert on drossing her legs . Once the darkness falls she refuses to go out if there is any noise at all.She gets walked in the daytime so at least i don't have the night walks to worry about.We have a choice of dens around the house for her to hide in when it gets bad.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Ollie hates them too, I walk him before dark, and I will be lucky if he goes out for a bedtime wee when they start to go off.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >