View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm going to have a think about a bone or a kong. I think that could work for him. i think a kong - that he has to think about might work better than a bone.

Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Just thought, another thing they do in Remus' class if a dog isn't settling or able to concentrate is they give the owner a kong or huge bone for them to gnaw on and lick. The handler is instructed to old the bone firmly under their foot so it doesn't go shooting round the class. The licking and concentrating on the job in hand helps to calm the dog. Also, the chairs are set up in a horseshoe shape and sometimes dogs who are very nervous have their chairs pulled back a bit so that they are slightly removed from the stimulus of the other dogs...and they are able to concentrate better and gradually move forward at their own pace.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm hoping it will become less, although when I took him for his initial training when we first got him he did this for six weeks! I like to think he's more secure now and possibly will take to new environments easier and quicker. Fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Definitely a staffy trait Samson whines to be let out for fuss for waking me up, quite a lot really, sasha does a very loud high pitched drone when she is frustrated or attention seeking, last staffy was the same very vocal. Samson also does it when worried ie when he knows we are dropping son at playgroup, I guess the more he goes to the training classes the less anxious he will be so it would get less? But agree with catrin that click treat when quiet for a second
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2013, 06:31 PM
It is not a trait for Staffs as such but is common - but irritating.
But distraction is the way to go....BUT before he starts doing something that is an issue not after - otherwise he will think his making a noise brought on the treat (kong whatever) see what I mean Staffs are smarter than people think. And he will associate noise/treat very quickly.
Given you say he was squealing when you did not take him straight home from a walk I would seriously not follow a certain routine with him vary everything so he has no idea when to get stressed -i.e he learns to take everything in his stride.
Take him his normal walk then take a short walk up and down the street again, round the other way.....anything that can help desensitive him places he gets stressed in and do not feed in to it....try another method of attack - for instance if he is unsure in buildings (ie training class) then take him into garden centres that allow dogs/pet shops and maybe your vets...keep his mind busy.

Can I ask what he is crossed with? may have bearing on it too. You could have a X that's from two vocal b*ggers.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
But distraction is the way to go....BUT before he starts doing something that is an issue not after - otherwise he will think his making a noise brought on the treat (kong whatever) see what I mean Staffs are smarter than people think. And he will associate noise/treat very quickly.
Given you say he was squealing when you did not take him straight home from a walk I would seriously not follow a certain routine with him vary everything so he has no idea when to get stressed -i.e he learns to take everything in his stride.
Take him his normal walk then take a short walk up and down the street again, round the other way.....anything that can help desensitive him places he gets stressed in and do not feed in to it....try another method of attack - for instance if he is unsure in buildings (ie training class) then take him into garden centres that allow dogs/pet shops and maybe your vets...keep his mind busy.

Can I ask what he is crossed with? may have bearing on it too. You could have a X that's from two vocal b*ggers.
If she's clicking in the right places he'll learn its the quiet that was being rewarded though.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Not sure what he's crossed with for certain as he's a rescue but I often think it's a boxer, he looks like a staffie but he's got quite an elongated neck. But you're right it's sure to be another noisy b*gger.!!

I will take your advice and mix up his days a bit. Sometimes the routine suits me in terms of work etc. and obviously him because he thrives on routine. I need to have a period of time ahead of me to put this into operation. I must admit because of his anxiety when going to new places I tend to avoid them. The idea of taking him to a garden centre brings me out in a cold sweat - and he'd go into a tailspin!

Nevertheless, I can definitely start with shorter walks, coupled with medium walks etc.

My dog is incredibly clever - the brightest dog I've ever known, he learns so fast.

Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2013, 09:34 PM
If she's clicking in the right places he'll learn its the quiet that was being rewarded though.
I am sure it will no doubt about it however I have come to the assumption that I myself am to slow for clickers but I know a lot of people make them work and they have brilliant results the suggestion you made sounds great.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2013, 09:38 PM
I am sure it will no doubt about it however I have come to the assumption that I myself am to slow for clickers but I know a lot of people make them work and they have brilliant results the suggestion you made sounds great.
Yes it does take practise lol...but I found that it seems to happen automatically for me now. The hard thing I find is that they both want to train when they see I have the clicker. Remus is the one I really need to train with, so either we have a sad Tonks, or I have to watch he aswell to check she is doing something clickworthy. I'm going to work up to having a clicker for each...tuning them to their own clicker at the start of the session and using them independently of each other....and hope I don't get too confused!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Not sure what he's crossed with for certain as he's a rescue but I often think it's a boxer, he looks like a staffie but he's got quite an elongated neck. But you're right it's sure to be another noisy b*gger.!!

I will take your advice and mix up his days a bit. Sometimes the routine suits me in terms of work etc. and obviously him because he thrives on routine. I need to have a period of time ahead of me to put this into operation. I must admit because of his anxiety when going to new places I tend to avoid them. The idea of taking him to a garden centre brings me out in a cold sweat - and he'd go into a tailspin!

Nevertheless, I can definitely start with shorter walks, coupled with medium walks etc.

My dog is incredibly clever - the brightest dog I've ever known, he learns so fast.
Its the clever ones that get ya....
It seems to me they are almost reminding us that that's not the way "we" do it "we do this"....
Maybe altering his routine slightly and gently daily will show him whatever you do is okay and he needs to fall into line - so to speak.
Is he a ball/food/touch sort of dog? whatever it is you need to use that high value thing to show him change of location is good. Instead of a garden centre try a big pet shop early in the morning or quietist time, speak to the staff first and explain what you are doing so they know and just walk in and walk out a few times so he does not have chance to react.

I am not saying change routine big time but the way you walk even go left to right instead of right to left. Variation.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Yes it does take practise lol...but I found that it seems to happen automatically for me now. The hard thing I find is that they both want to train when they see I have the clicker. Remus is the one I really need to train with, so either we have a sad Tonks, or I have to watch he aswell to check she is doing something clickworthy. I'm going to work up to having a clicker for each...tuning them to their own clicker at the start of the session and using them independently of each other....and hope I don't get too confused!
Power to your clicker. You sound very committed and I think your advice is really good.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Power to your clicker. You sound very committed and I think your advice is really good.
Well I was with Tonks...Remus is way behind his training compared to her at the same age.....but that was pre children! Also he is a very easy lazy puppy ...and I've been busy working on the little issues he has, food stealing, separation anxiety, annoying barking....and occasional growling if you try to move him or do something he doesn't like.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >