View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Oh ok. So huskies shouldn't be off lead according to the breed clubs? I wouldn't know things like that. Why is that? Out of interest!

I have emailed Surrey Dog Training Society as I like that they are non profit and work towards the kennel club good citizen thingy...will see what I hear back.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 07:47 PM
A friend of mine regularly examines the KCGCDS at Surrey.

Huskies were bred to run, and run they do, and they also tend to kill things on their travels.......

I LOVE huskies but I would NEVER own a dog that I could not have off the lead at all appropriate times (cos I am lazy)

Without wishing to hijack the thread, of course there are ATYPICAL specimens of MANY breeds, I find in Weimaraners for example that people who have had the "cardboard cutout" variety, go into spasm when they get a "real one" ie a hunting machine.

This is why I have to bite my lip on many occasions when somebody who has owned ONE specimen of any breed (which has been a doddle) then starts dishing out advice as though they are breed experts...................

It can be very dangerous.......
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
A friend of mine regularly examines the KCGCDS at Surrey.

Huskies were bred to run, and run they do, and they also tend to kill things on their travels.......

I LOVE huskies but I would NEVER own a dog that I could not have off the lead at all appropriate times (cos I am lazy)

Without wishing to hijack the thread, of course there are ATYPICAL specimens of MANY breeds, I find in Weimaraners for example that people who have had the "cardboard cutout" variety, go into spasm when they get a "real one" ie a hunting machine.

This is why I have to bite my lip on many occasions when somebody who has owned ONE specimen of any breed (which has been a doddle) then starts dishing out advice as though they are breed experts...................

It can be very dangerous......
yeppers!!!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 01:46 PM
What is the non profit one about? You mean you don't pay or only pay a bit and the trainer doesn't take anything?

If so what about her insurance, etc?

Just wondering.

Some general good advice on what to look for. A good well run puppy class, preferable run by someone with some behavioural knowledge, is crucial:

http://www.apdt.co.uk/choosing_dog_trainer_uk.asp

Never choose a class where the trainer will allow pups to free run with each other unless there is a good reason, as it can be extremely counter productive and cause much damage.

When I assist in classes, we always match pups carefully for free play and watch, and intervene.

Wys
x
marianne38
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2012, 01:59 PM
I know someone in Dorking, or is that too far?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
What is the non profit one about? You mean you don't pay or only pay a bit and the trainer doesn't take anything?

Wys
x
I think you will find that Surrey Dog Training Society has plenty of insurance etc.

They run Championship Working Trials, Open Working Trials as well an Open Agility Show and Championship Obedience Shows and several members are also Kennel Club Members!

They have also run the Kennel Club Championships twice!

Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

x
Its £40 for 8 sessions but i think is run more like a club. The price is substantially less than others I've looked at without seeming as if the quality is affected. In fact it seems like they might be better.

Originally Posted by marianne38 View Post
I know someone in Dorking, or is that too far?
It is a bit far, not impossible but wouldn't be convenient. Thanks though!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I think you will find that Surrey Dog Training Society has plenty of insurance etc.

They run Championship Working Trials, Open Working Trials as well an Open Agility Show and Championship Obedience Shows and several members are also Kennel Club Members!

They have also run the Kennel Club Championships twice!

Oh well that's good then! I didn't understand the non profit bit but seems they are ok

Wys
x
lindseyp
New Member!
Female 

05-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Just wanted to pop in with a bit of a review...unfortunately I was unimpressed with adolescent dogs. I can't say too much because I don't have other classes to compare to, but I did the puppy course and found it poor. I mean, it could have been better, and I was pleased they used positive methods etc, but they seemed far more concerned about advertising their expensive puppy walks and pub visits. It seemed to be all about doig sit-down-sits, which super fustrated my pup, without mentioning what I consider to be the important fundamentals and preventing problems, etc. Ie some pups constantly barked and worryingly (her own, the older grey husky mix) pup took a dislike to mine and displayed aggression repeatedly - ignoring her belly display, tail between legs, until we had to stop him because the trainer wasn't paying him and attention, then we realised he had caused her to pee with fright.), my own was really struggling to stop obsessing over other dogs, and things like that...but things that were completely ignored. Yes, you can pin someone down and beg for help, but if I'm paying so much money, I want information of behaviour, problem preventing, the fundamentals - not sit down sit down. Minorly most of the classes started late yet finished at the same time so we lost class time.
Sorry, didn't mean to make this a complaint post! Like I said, it could be worse and at least they use rewards. But I wanted to share it just in case - because I certainly wish I hadn't spent all that money there.
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2012, 10:44 AM
I went to workshops run by Jenny for Adolescent Dogs and we had a great time and learned alot. I've recommended her to a few other friends too.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >