Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by ShellyP View Post
Unfortunately I have been told that there is no way he is going to be confined to a room if he comes around (I initially suggested he stay in the kitchen) as it is 'cruel'. My OH is also quite protective over the dog, which makes things a bit more difficult...!!
I do think that they are being a bit unfair on you, it is your house, but if your OH (and its his house aswell) thinks the same way then you are going to find it a really difficult day. It may be a good idea to get some throws for the sofas, then if the dog does get on them then he wont do any damage and you wont be so stressed.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Yes i'll have to be careful, but at the same time, if my parents are over for dinner at the same time, I don't want to dog stood next to the table waiting for food (which is what happens at their house). Can you train a dog to behave in one way at one place? E.g. Could I make him behave properly in our house, even if he is allowed to continue with the behaviour at home?
yes you can, dogs are pretty smart and will know the rules. The thing is to be consistent at your house. If he knows that he is never allowed up to your dining table, he will soon accept this.....but if your in-laws encourage him to do this at your house, you'll be on a losing battle.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Do you like dogs? Just wondering....

I`d better qualify that..
I have a very good friend whose dog is... rather spoiled. I also have relatives with children who are... no angels.
When they visit I wouldn`t dream of insisting that the kids / dogs behave as I would wish a child or dog of mine to behave.
When I visit them my dogs are under my control, and similar `laws` apply.
Does it really matter if their dog is a slob? Or someone`s child doesn`t like your cooking?
Sometimes you have to smile sweetly and keep your mouth shut - if you want to keep the firends you have, that is.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Are you and your OH planning to have children?

If so, what do you intend to do when she tells you what is ok and what is not?

Start as you mean to go on, your house and your rules, just as when you are at HER house, you have to abide by hers.

These are the basics of etiquette!

If you have children the same thing will occur not only at your house and hers but your children's friends.

Just do not get into an argument, smile, say "I expect you are right" and carry on with what YOU want to do.

No need for any dramatics.

A tip, you could read "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor, who has some interesting tips for family members........
ShellyP
New Member!
Female 

15-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Do you like dogs? Just wondering....

I`d better qualify that..
I have a very good friend whose dog is... rather spoiled. I also have relatives with children who are... no angels.
When they visit I wouldn`t dream of insisting that the kids / dogs behave as I would wish a child or dog of mine to behave.
When I visit them my dogs are under my control, and similar `laws` apply.
Does it really matter if their dog is a slob? Or someone`s child doesn`t like your cooking?
Sometimes you have to smile sweetly and keep your mouth shut - if you want to keep the firends you have, that is.
I do like dogs, but not spoilt dogs who are treated like humans and are allowed to do whatever they want (the same with children I suppose!) I appreciate it is the owners fault for making the dog that way, but I still struggle in liking the dog.

If a child was around my house and started scribbling on a wall then I would say something, regardless of the parents being there and what they think. I do not think that just because people/animals are allowed to behave in a certain way at home, then they should be allowed to do it when they are out in someone elses house.
ShellyP
New Member!
Female 

15-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
A tip, you could read "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor, who has some interesting tips for family members........
Thanks, will check it out!!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 03:12 PM
I have 2 suggestions.....

1) Ditch your fiance as sounds like you could be caught in the crossfire, not just over this issue but anything in future if he is going to side with his parents.

2) Suddenly realise you have developed asthma and are allergic to dogs. Smile sweetly and say of course you would like to have their sweet little darling visiting with them but Doctor says out of the question as your home is now declared a "No Dogs" zone.

(Of course this is meant to be "tongue in cheek" as I have the fortune to have married an orphan so no difficult in-laws to contend with. I am also asthmatic and allergic to dogs, though not my own non-shedding ones)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 03:14 PM
2 BEST ADVICE I HAVE SEEN FOR A LONG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND funny!
ShellyP
New Member!
Female 

15-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Lol

Funnily enough my Mum said the same thing about developing an allergy....
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Lol

Funnily enough my Mum said the same thing about developing an allergy....
ah, the apple hasn`t fallen far from the tree.
I suggest you and your partner come to a compromise and present a united front against both sets of parents.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >