Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
As I say, an accident, and although he has the perfect right to be scared, he should not be sniffy that the dog acted thus, particularly with her being a bitch - they can be even more protective than males IMO.
Yea....it was HER that boxed Bruces ears for trying to get to her quarry poor Bruce
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Was this on your property? So they were trespassing on your property? Or did your dogs get off your property?

Why should it be your fault if this was your own property? That's what worries me about the stupid new proposals - our dogs need protection in their own homes at least!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 12:03 PM
This question has been discussed on here before Stevie -

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=136658

*Just as a matter of interest - here in Cyprus, if you own a dog, it is the law that you have to have a 'Beware of the Dog' sign on your door or gate! Imagine how hilarious that looks when the dog is a chi, pomeranian, dopey Cyprus poodle or, in my case, a 10inch high min pin!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post

*Just as a matter of interest - here in Cyprus, if you own a dog, it is the law that you have to have a 'Beware of the Dog' sign on your door or gate! Imagine how hilarious that looks when the dog is a chi, pomeranian, dopey Cyprus poodle or, in my case, a 10inch high min pin!
Ha Ha but the small ones can still pack a punch when needed
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Not your fault, our gardens are our sanctuaries and we expect them to be safe places to let the dogs out. Not really the police's fault either as they're just doing their job. Criminal is the one who was going where he wasn't allowed.
Perhaps the police were just a bit grumpy because they lost the guy when they were so close, and perhaps a little shaken up over the lucky escape too.
My brother's girlfriend once opened the back door to our house at a few knocks and a shout of "Hello, police!" thinking that my OH was being silly (he'd just left the house a minute before to pick me up from somewhere). Turns out it really was the police (looking for my little brother who didn't live there anymore) and they were a bit shocked to be faced with a barking GSD and Rottie! No harm done though and the police apologised at surprising her, it was dark and she was home alone so they at least recognised that she wasn't really expecting them. They said that dogs often reacted badly to the uniforms because the clothes are quite dark and bulky, and not something dogs are normally exposed to. She did say that the male police office looked like he might need a change of underwear though
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Still not your fault, your dogs were protecting their property not pouncing on them in a field, it's a chance they take when entering on others property, lucky they were on the shed as it gave them a bit more time to scarper, imagine if the had of jumped straight to the ground in your garden, and then had to scale the 8ft fence out again hope the dogs settle soon must've filled them with adrenalin
If they had of been down in the garden the dogs would of had them I would guarantee that, they would of come OFF but someone would of been bitten as our garden isn't easy to get back out of due to the trellis round the top.
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I think if Ys spoke to the officer after the event and when the suspect was in custody they would be in a different frame of mind..

I can see it as a story that copper will be telling in the future ..
me too....think they must of got him....or maybe he got away....as its all quiet now
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Was this on your property? So they were trespassing on your property? Or did your dogs get off your property?

Why should it be your fault if this was your own property? That's what worries me about the stupid new proposals - our dogs need protection in their own homes at least!!
My property Azz....its all the new laws that worry me, but I can swear I never knew anything till I opened the back door to feed the rabbit, and all hell broke loose, thankfully Skye and Mojo stayed back indoors, not that they seemed interested, Tess and Bruce tend to be the guard dogs here
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Not your fault, our gardens are our sanctuaries and we expect them to be safe places to let the dogs out. Not really the police's fault either as they're just doing their job. Criminal is the one who was going where he wasn't allowed.
Perhaps the police were just a bit grumpy because they lost the guy when they were so close, and perhaps a little shaken up over the lucky escape too.
My brother's girlfriend once opened the back door to our house at a few knocks and a shout of "Hello, police!" thinking that my OH was being silly (he'd just left the house a minute before to pick me up from somewhere). Turns out it really was the police (looking for my little brother who didn't live there anymore) and they were a bit shocked to be faced with a barking GSD and Rottie! No harm done though and the police apologised at surprising her, it was dark and she was home alone so they at least recognised that she wasn't really expecting them. They said that dogs often reacted badly to the uniforms because the clothes are quite dark and bulky, and not something dogs are normally exposed to. She did say that the male police office looked like he might need a change of underwear though
I think by the look on this ones face he will need too as well, he was taken by surprise, he half jumped off and fell off the shed..., Im sure Tess would be very friendly of he had popped in for a cuppa through the proper entrance
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post

We have a sign saying Border Collies and JRT live here....but thats on the front door.........I think I need to stick one on the back fence
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 12:16 PM
There is quite a lot of conflicting stuff about this put out. Seems it is one of the issues that was hoped would be addressed with some amendments to the Dog Laws.

Some info here too:

http://www.asdonline.co.uk/news/dog-bite-claims

Statutory defences

... The 1971 Act provides various defences.
The section 5(2) defence does not apply to employees, so where a proprietor of kennels warns an employee about the vicious nature of a dog and then the employee nevertheless gets bitten, the defence would not assist the proprietor
Section 5(3) deals with dog attacks on trespassers. In short if the dog is not a guard dog and the trespasser is bitten, the keeper is not liable. Furthermore, even if the dog is a guard dog and it is reasonable to have a guard dog on the premises, the keeper would not be liable.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Idiots.......

....in uniform too....

There's NO way they can possibly blame you/your dogs for this.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >