Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by nic2410 View Post
Thanks for that, I will have a look.
Yes I take her out regularly, I took her for her first walk today and we were out for about an hour, she did nothing when we were out and then came straight back and weed and pooed inside, she did it on the training pad I put down for her to use at night.
She seems to prefer to do it inside no matter how much I take her out, I will keep at it though.
Try taking up the training pads and take her outside frequently...normally if they need to poo they'l circle...if you see her doing that or heading for her fav wee or poo spec in the house..pic her up and take her in the garden/yard (if you have one) or out the front on a lead if you don't. Early toilet training is largely about being vigilant and regular.
Good luck!!!
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Yes I take her out regularly, I took her for her first walk today and we were out for about an hour, she did nothing when we were out and then came straight back and weed and pooed inside, she did it on the training pad I put down for her to use at night.
She seems to prefer to do it inside no matter how much I take her out, I will keep at it though.
maybe you could take the mat up in the day + stand outside with her until she does go to the toilet then loads of praise + keep on waiting also choose a word that she will learn that means go to the toilet i use go wee wee then they know that means toilet time
pxxuk
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2006, 05:25 AM
Honey has started doing this over the past few weeks and I have tried adding pineapple juice to her kibble... It doesnt seem to be working a week on I dont know how to stop her either... She is getting better at the training some days but others, she just sits on the floor and wees in front of me (she's stopped circling to wee so I dont know when she's going to coupie down!!). I also try to use the pads but she's not always on target!!
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Our Fern used to do that, Shadowboxer told me it could be likely it was something he learnt from his mother...there is a specific medical name for it which escapes me.

But just with watching him everyday do his business and giving commands to leave it and then a reward for doing so solved the problem eventually, just a bit of care and patience solved it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Hi nic , it doesn't matter how long you are out for your puppy will only relieve herself when she needs to. She won't have control over her bodily functions until she is over 4 months of age so what you really need to do is to take your puppy out at the times she will most likely wish to relieve herself, that is every hour/after sleep/play/a meal/excitement/when she circles and sniffs the ground.

At these times take her out to where you wish her to soil and when she is in the middle of relieving herself and only then because she needs to associate the word with the action say 'be clean', then when she has finished give lots of praise and a special treat like a tiny piece of cheese or meat.

Do this and very soon she will go on command because relieving herself brings a treat. Eventually only give the occasional treat but still lots of praise.

If she goes in the house clean the spot well with biological washing powder, and say nothing, don't punish her or shout or she will be afraid to go in your presence. I would not leave the door open either because you need to be with her until she has learnt what to do.

By using the pads you are teaching you puppy to soil in the house and adding an extra step to the training because you still have to train her to go outside. If you have shown displeasure when she has soiled in the house yes this would encourage her to eat the poo.
(Azz posted a link for you to an article, don't know if you saw it)
ellenlouise
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Haven't read all of thread but Kia my 17 month gsdxn.i has never and I am sure will never go to the toliet when she goes for a walk. She will only do it when she is in her own garden. She has never eaten her pooh so can't help you there. Kia barely ever had accidents in the house. She always has gone outside. We are lucky though there is always someone in the house so the back door is always open for her. It helps if you take them in the same spot in the garden everytime. Whenever and it was only once or twice Kia had an accident I carried her to the slabs were she goes to the toilet. Also whenever she went there I gave her loads of praise.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2