View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 03:21 PM
He will ask visitors for a fuss - climb up on them then look straight in their eyes and growl.
this is a defo... Im the boss in this house stance... dont push me... kinda attitude...

you must take control of him in this situation... eg pop his lead on and take control.. If the visitor were to push him away...he could see it as a challenge and snap...

nice but dim but was frightened of people touching his back end. He growled, but never showed any sign of snapping,
Do you clicker train... this could be worked on with a clicker..I have found them great in solving stuff like that..

what age is he?..
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 03:45 PM
He`s probably 4. I can`t get the timing right with clickers.

He`s being told to lie in his basket when people come and is happy with that. He doesn`t bark or guard when people come or guard the house. He is very good with smaller, quieter people but seems to get very worried by tall confident men.

He loves to be stroked but then occasionally begins to growl. If you stop he fusses round you to start again. I think he may have been abused and also that he was probably owned by a drunk (he hates men with the smell of drink on them - we don`t drink). It`s like he`s expecting you to turn on him suddenly.
Of course that`s just guesswork and I`m sure a couple of years down the line he`ll be `normal`...or as normal as gsps ever are.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Not sure that getting him to lie in his basket is the right way to go. Although this stops him climbing on visitors, which is great, it doesn't actually teach him how he should be greeting them though.

I still think my original suggestion of putting the lead on him and getting him to sit & behave nicely in company is the best way to go.

It's interesting that he is good with smaller, quieter people - perhaps he sees these as no threat to his dominance? This would also explain why he isn't so happy with more confident, taller people (by exuding confidence and being taller, they would seem naturally more dominant to him).

As to the growling, whilst I agree not to smack or strike him as this would exacerbate the situation - I wouldn't ignore a threatening growl either. I always correct a growl by verbal admonishment. I'm not saying scream at him or anything BTW!! Just a firm No or Argh whatever your correction term is?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post

As to the growling, whilst I agree not to smack or strike him as this would exacerbate the situation - I wouldn't ignore a threatening growl either. I always correct a growl by verbal admonishment. I'm not saying scream at him or anything BTW!! Just a firm No or Argh whatever your correction term is?
I think it depends what the growl is for. If it`s fear I would rather he did growl when he feels threatened. A dog that has been `taught` not to growl may snap without warning.
He is not a pushy dog, (I don`t `do` dominance!) but he is a confused one. Let`s face it, he`s had up to 4 years of not living in a house or having much contact with people (he didn`t show signs of having lived indoors and was completely untrained when I got him) so he`s having to unlearn a lot as well as taking stuff on board.
When he growls I take his collar and put him out of the room.
The `bed` is in the same room as visitors and he`s learning to leave them alone, which is what I want.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 07:47 PM
An update - and one that proves what a Bad Mummy I am.
I returned home a few days ago to hear that Shamus had been growling at everybody. In despair, I sat down and watched him...then he started pawing at his ear. On investigation it was pretty revolting down there so I strongholded him and put ear drops in. 2 days later I had a different dog.
He has just been to the vet for a check-up and kissed him lovingly as the (hunky australian ) vet told him what a sweet sensitive soul he was. Then he joyously cuddled a friend who came round.
I am a terrible mummy
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
An update - and one that proves what a Bad Mummy I am.
I returned home a few days ago to hear that Shamus had been growling at everybody. In despair, I sat down and watched him...then he started pawing at his ear. On investigation it was pretty revolting down there so I strongholded him and put ear drops in. 2 days later I had a different dog.
He has just been to the vet for a check-up and kissed him lovingly as the (hunky australian ) vet told him what a sweet sensitive soul he was. Then he joyously cuddled a friend who came round.
I am a terrible mummy
Oh dear - well you live and learn. Glad that he is more comfortable now and back to his old self.....all makes sence now doesn't it!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2