View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 12:08 PM
I would recommend Barjo and Barnesbrook from personal experience. You can sometimes pick up second hand barjo on ebay! I recently got both tailguard and gate for a third of a brand new price!

Also if you look on here they sometimes have second hand car cages. Scroll down to the crates/cages bit!

http://www.agilitynet.com/activepages/fleamarket.asp

Make sure it isn't too big and is SECURED in the car i.e. can't get thrown around.

http://www.dogcages.net

http://www.barjo.co.uk

Like said before make sure it is sturdy and won't get destroyed should you be unfortunate to have a car accident.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Missysmum View Post
I recently bought a dog crate on ebay. It cost £40 plus p&p and came from www.doghealth.co.uk. I bought the 36" cage for my Staffie. The cage is very well made. It is double coated , that is galvanised then coated with "Hammerite". It has 3 doors. One door on the long side , one at each end , one of which opens up and over instead of swinging outwards. It has a heavy duty plastic base which is quieter than a metal base and doesn't rust. I got a free piece of vetbed and 2 clip on bowls with the cage. The cage is made from heavy duty wire and it came with a partition to allow the use of 2 compartments if needed. I don't have the catalogue handy , but I think they do the shaped cages for hatchbacks too. They also make dog kennels , runs and puppy pens. It's worth a look. I'm delighted with my cage .
oooo i added that website to my favs last night to look at!! sounds very promsing! thanks!

Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
I bought the ones from Argos for the car, cheap and cheerful but with two doors front and side, they take up the whole of the back with the seats down apart from a small ledge at the back, less weight is less petrol consumption! Very quick and easy to get out and dismantle if necessary.
yeh i see one in there, it sloped up as it was for cars? looked pretty good with the little fan on it lol!

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Personally I wouldn't get a big one while you've only got Archie.

Part of the purpose of the car crate is to stop your dog getting hurled around if you have a smash or need to make an emergency stop.

If you put Archie in one that is a suitable size for a GSD, if you do get shunted/have an accident etc., being in a crate that size wouldn't protect Archie very much because he would still get flung across it.

IMO you'd be better putting him in one that is the appropriate size for him and making sure that it is properly secured so that it doesn't slide around.
god of course!!! see i didnt even think of that! im thinking move room for him!! ahh! maybe i will wait as right now archie sits with me on the floor or on my lap with the selt belt round him.......

Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Barjo are good and very helpful. They are pricey but, as Megan says, you tend to get what you pay for.

I agree totally with what Hali has said, a small dog in a big cage is a recipe for disaster in an accident. You can get crate dividers so that would keep Archie safe and be suitable for if / when the new addition arrives!
lol i agree too!!

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I have a Guardsman double cage in the back of my car it has a divider to separate into two compartments.

I usually have it as one big space, fits two Boxers in nicely.

http://www.dogcages.uk.com/dog_cages.html
thanks i will save that website!

Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I would recommend Barjo and Barnesbrook from personal experience. You can sometimes pick up second hand barjo on ebay! I recently got both tailguard and gate for a third of a brand new price!

Also if you look on here they sometimes have second hand car cages. Scroll down to the crates/cages bit!

http://www.agilitynet.com/activepages/fleamarket.asp

Make sure it isn't too big and is SECURED in the car i.e. can't get thrown around.

http://www.dogcages.net

http://www.barjo.co.uk

Like said before make sure it is sturdy and won't get destroyed should you be unfortunate to have a car accident.
excellent thanks for those sites i will look at them today
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 05:16 PM
i got all my crates from ebay, and they are all sturdy and safe the biggest i have is for a st bernard, but that does hold to large lab's with lots of space to turn round and lay out i only paid £45.00 for that one.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Like said before make sure it is sturdy and won't get destroyed should you be unfortunate to have a car accident
I don't think there's a lot between them in that respect.
One of my lightweight crates was in the back of a VW Golf estate a few years ago, Polo was in it on his own, going down the M4 near Newbury we were involved in a serious accident at 50mph, the car was written off, it closed the motorway for two hours and was filmed from a helicoptor for local TV news.
Both Polo and myself were fine, we both walked away from it and Polo soon made new friends amongst the emergency services personnel. The crate has continued to give perfect service for a good few years since then, in fact it has outlived Polo.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by sjpurt View Post
i got all my crates from ebay, and they are all sturdy and safe the biggest i have is for a st bernard, but that does hold to large lab's with lots of space to turn round and lay out i only paid £45.00 for that one.
thats a good price i think we got his crate from htere to, i cant rem now!

im going to look on ebay now!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Not sure if you have a Decathlon near you but i've just been looking on their website (want a gundog whistle and I know they stock shooting gear) and came across what seems to be good quality dog food and also plastic crates suitable for cars. They come in single and double. Prices seem very good compared to other dog crates i've seen so I think I know where i'll be shopping when I get my estate car (no dimensions on the site though which is a pity).
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
not heard of them but i will go on there site now!! thanks!

could you give me the website please i cant find it on google!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 04:00 PM
No probs. This is the link directly to the crates:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/transp...owls-10336809/
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:32 PM
i got mine from pets at home - only about 35 quid

material which the millard chewed her way out of

then decided to chew through the wires in my car - gawd only knows how she didnt electrocute herselt

highy reccomend a metal/mesh one - look on ebay
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:37 PM
I get my hubby to make them to fit whatever cars we have.. He just made one for my jeep..my two both go in the same crate..its big enough for both but "just" that way there isn't room for them to be bounced around
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >