Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
I never have the dogs in bed (or even in the bedroom) but I often go to sleep with a rat on my pillow
When I used to live alone with just my Monty rat for company in a student halls, he would snuggle up next to me under the covers on a cold night. He didn't have a cage (the cage would have given away that I had a rat and we weren't allowed pets ) He was always a perfect bedmate
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2010, 05:58 PM
No way
1) Cain is waaaaaaaaaaay too big. 40kg dog on the bed - where do I sleep? Plus I'm a big softy who would curl up and allow the dog to have all the space because I didn't want to disturb him!
2) Fur on the pillow, ends up in my mouth - yuk!

Don't have a problem with it if other people want to do it, but it's not for me
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
LOL to bounderies.

It isn't about bounderies, they can be set to be anything, it is about the dogs obeying when they are told to get off.

My dogs have freedom to go wherever they like including on the furniture but if I say get off I expect them to do it. Same with visiting dogs.

You can just as easily get bitten playing with a dog or walking past one. Or even having a cuddle on the bed in the morning.

You have to trust on both sides.

At the moment the small dog is on the end of my bed and Etta sleeps next to me. Champa wants to but is sometimes incontinent so he is in the bedroom but not on the bed----much to his disgust!

rune
That's what I mean though about boundaries - setting the rules, MY rules, and expecting them to be adhered to. I move the boundaries sometimes ... I had never in my life ever allowed dogs on the furniture, or on the bed. However, one day I allowed Hal to come up for morning cuddles upon invitation. Hal being Hal, he took the p. to a certain extent, but now we have Tai, who is far more obedient and respectful, he would never take advantage. He never jumps up unless invited to, not just by me but by hubby as well. We both have to pat the bed and tell him to get up, else he won't.

Daughter's Chihuahua, Gucci, is too little to jump up onto the bed, but provided he is being a good boy he is lifted up for cuddles with Tai and us and daughter - lucky we have a large King sized bed! But any shinanigans from Gucci, such as biting Tai's mouth - his favourite Norty at the moment - then down he goes. As I said, all about the boundaries set by the humans.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
I never have the dogs in bed (or even in the bedroom) but I often go to sleep with a rat on my pillow

You're bonkers you are !! But we loves ya !!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 10:01 PM
As this thread has resurfaced, I have moved into a new caravan (same place as the old one...but less holes!)

This did involve me and Mum sharing a small space with 16 dogs for 10 days....we are still talking and I have left the house with an extra for some of the time.
As some of you may know we have a (for want of a better word) feral dog. He has now been with us 9 years, and has come on in leaps and bounds....sometimes you would almost mistake him for a normal dog, till something happens and he screams and runs away!

However - he LOVES my old boy, and in the time I was living in the house has really come out of himself (he actually spoke to, well - came within a couple of feet - of some strangers in the house!)

A big turning point for him has been the fact that he can go on the bed.
It is the only place that he will trust you 99%.....I would not say 100, as I do not think I could do anything that caused him pain... but on the 3rd day I was in the house, I took some scissors to bed, and when he came up on the bed, I managed to cut all the knots and matts from around his back end.
He would never allow you to go near his back end during the day or when you were the least bit threatening.....

So....just maybe, for some dogs - this can be a good exercise in trust

(I will add - that he will not sleep on the bed - yet - and you do not invite him up....he will go into panic mode if you ask him to do anything he is not confident of, it is definitely his choice!)
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
When I used to live alone with just my Monty rat for company in a student halls, he would snuggle up next to me under the covers on a cold night. He didn't have a cage (the cage would have given away that I had a rat and we weren't allowed pets ) He was always a perfect bedmate
This is my daughter asleep with her rat Poto (R.I.P). My daughter named him when she was too young to speak. She loved that wee rat and he followed her everywhere. Some kids have a security blanket, Jenny had Poto.

cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
This is my daughter asleep with her rat Poto (R.I.P). My daughter named him when she was too young to speak. She loved that wee rat and he followed her everywhere. Some kids have a security blanket, Jenny had Poto.

Awwww What a lovely picture rats are sooooo special
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Aaaaah ... that is sweet !! I do like rats, they are much-maligned animals.
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Yes from me, our room gets cold at night and my little and not so little furry hot water bottles are brilliant
SAME HERE
Nola
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2010, 09:20 AM
My pup is 11 weeks has been sleeping on the bed since we got her as she cried on the floor the first night and my heart just melted. She's already started to become a nuisance, though, as she fidgets all night and moans when she can't get comfortable so I'm going to start her sleeping on the floor in the bedroom soon.
Page 19 of 45 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 > Last »