Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Please explain why that is not the case with my BCs ? [ four of them ] ? They are each very different from each other even though of the same breed and as it happens no they don`t do pack mentality whether at home or not The nearest they get to it, [ and the only `group` thing that they do ], is when one barks they all bark, however four of my six dogs being deaf, they only get the vibration of it, they can`t hear that another dog is barking so its nothing to do with pack but each reacting to the same physical stimulus of the vibration they each feel at the time.

More than some, not as much as the rest.

My defensiveness is on behalf of the people you seem to find need to be derogatory toward, perhaps you don`t realise that`s how you come across so I`m pointing it out. You come across as rude, sarcastic, patronising, and as though you think you are above everyone else.

See above

Its about how you are toward people. Have a different viewpoint by all means, everyone has that right, but you don`t have the right to be rude and patronising to people in the way you speak, [ type ], at them.

Then kindly reserve it for them, as the way you use it here comes across as patronising.

Unfair in your opinion perhaps however there are other opinions allowed than just yours. Perhaps you could just apologise to those who were offended ?

I did`nt think they were a subject of mirth to you, I got the impressions you were more a case of jealous of them.

Please tell me any dog which would like to be hit or zapped ?
None ?
Didn`t think so, therefore they are not what a dog requires, what they do require is understanding and for humans to stop thinking its a dogs fault for not understanding what we convey. If a dog does`nt `get it`, that`s down to us miscommunicating to them, that`s our failing, not the dogs, therefore the dog should not be subjected to pain or fear because of us getting something wrong.

You work them, so its what they do, then when they react at a time you don`t require them to go off chasing or killing, you punish them with violence for doing what they are otherwise supposed to do. Nice....not !

Yes

Why is it that people who can`t understand how to train without violence are fixated on believing that those of us who manage without it are `one true way`ers` ?
There are many different ways to train without violence or intimidation, but presumably as you don`t know how to not use violence you don`t realise its not `one method` involved in positive training.

If your best is thinking hitting is acceptable then that does`nt really say much about your `best` I`m afraid

Its how you write it, the way you word things, the patronising attitude, the arrogance, and that is borne up by the fact that you can`t see its what you do.
Hopefully this will cause you to read back through your posts and think about what you could have put differently, to drop the `dearie` type stuff, at least in the way you have used it thus far, and to apologise to those who have been on the receiving end of you being, [ or coming across as ], patronising toward them.

If you were given a slap or a zap for each time you have been rude, how many would you have taken to either learn and understand completely what you were doing wrong or to react with a punch ?
Now think about it from a dogs point of view - imagine you are the dog and you can`t understand what you`ve done `wrong` then you get a clip round the head or a zap for it without even knowing what `it` is.....
I have more than one (of the same breed) BC's,(3) and have to agree with Patch that they don't do 'Pack mentallity either. Plus there are many times that we are out with friends who have 2, plus our son's who have 2, plus there other dogs which include 2 GSD's and one JRT. Put that lot together and we regularly have 10 dogs all together. None of which go into pack mentality, however one thing I notice is raise your voice to one then all prick thier ears up, so surely as a term of speach 'clip one round the ear' the other's will all expect it. As for having 'one' who has a shock collar on......it doesn't bare thinking about.....and when you zape you dog wearing this collar does it flinch or what, these collar are around it throat.....couldn't ever imagin doing that to one of mine it's barbaric. As for smacking..............there is NOTHING worse than seeing a dog flinch or cower
Fourfeet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2008, 04:51 PM
I know people are never going to agree with me and I accept that. I wouldn't want to use one if I had to repetedly shock the dog to get results.

I had tried the cani collar, halti, gental leader and even the gencon but after a about a week he used to pull against them. I tried distracting him with food and tried the clicker. I used that with great success to get him to let me look at his teeth.
None of these worked.
I really believe if he were to get to a sheep he would kill it. His eyes used to change when he saw them.
Now he never wears the collar as he is 100% around them even these last few weeks when there have been lots of lambs running around.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Fourfeet View Post
I know people are never going to agree with me and I accept that. I wouldn't want to use one if I had to repetedly shock the dog to get results.

I had tried the cani collar, halti, gental leader and even the gencon but after a about a week he used to pull against them. I tried distracting him with food and tried the clicker. I used that with great success to get him to let me look at his teeth.
None of these worked.
I really believe if he were to get to a sheep he would kill it. His eyes used to change when he saw them.
Now he never wears the collar as he is 100% around them even these last few weeks when there have been lots of lambs running around.

Thanks for saying what methods you used. I suspect you probably didn't give each method a fair go, judging by the number of methods used etc...perhaps asking for the help of someone similar to the one I posted about would have been a better option for your dog.

I will never, ever agree that any shock collar use is acceptable and I will continue to say that as loud as I can. The ecollar hurts dogs. The owners inflict pain on purpose, normally for a quick fix because they are the ones that can't cope with the behaviour of the dog.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-05-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm just glad I've never had a dog which even required me to think about these ecollars! Kali has been my "least co-operative" pup, the worst he ever needed was a clip round the bum and a "growly" voice. A "clip round the bum" was only ever enough for it to register, not hurt (remember, BCs are remarkably well-padded round the southern end - when walking northwards - and a smack is more likely to hurt the smacker than the dog!).

Nowadays, I may not get instant obedience, but I do get obedience!

Snorri
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 08:11 PM
As said by Snoriiii
Nowadays, I may not get instant obedience, but I do get obedience!............snorriiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I'm with you Hun on that one, Skye is so like her predecessor (Meg) I get a flick of the ear almost say 'WHAT' then another saying ' OH ME RIGHT' Second command dog is what I call her
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2008, 09:44 AM
I believe smacking dogs or otherwise using violence towards them is wrong. I believe the proper use of an e-collar as a disciplinary aid is acceptable.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
I believe smacking dogs or otherwise using violence towards them is wrong. I believe the proper use of an e-collar as a disciplinary aid is acceptable.
I know this one has been done to death but I still can`t see how using an e-collar which utilises pain (discomfort if you prefer - it still hurts) isn`t violence - which is the infliction of mental or physical pain. Using a method of inflicting pain at a distance doesn`t make it any the less painful.
And if the collar didn`t cause pain it wouldn`t work - if you weren`t relying on a response to pain you`d use another method of `getting the dog`s attention` - like a whistle.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2008, 11:18 AM
And if the collar didn`t cause pain it wouldn`t work - if you weren`t relying on a response to pain you`d use another method of `getting the dog`s attention` - like a whistle.
I believe it works the same way a whistle works, but it's useful for when a dog won't respond to the distant sound of a whistle/rattle bottle etc. I see it as a 'nudge from a distance', rather than inflicting pain, discomfort or fear. I think proper training with an e-collar is preferable to never being allowed off-lead.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-06-2008, 11:18 AM
i hold my hands up to having been guilty of the odd smack or rather cuff - done very very occasionally, two instances spring to mind, one involved lola and a bee and the other paddy going for lola when she was younger and my hand was quicker than his lunge. As a rule dont agree with smacking dogs but i would be a hypocrite if i said I hadnt in the past.
I dont know much about e-collars, I watched a CM episode where he used it to stop a cattle dog attacking tyres on tractors and combines, the owners had used it previously to no avail and were told it was about the timing of the correction. Now without wanting to get into a CM debate I have to ask myself a couple of questions. Were there alternatives to discourage the dogs actions that were workable over the sound of the machinery? Did the dog learning improve its life - it still has free reign over the farm and was spared the agony of rehoming or not as the case may be ?
So in summary if it was the best way to discourage the behaviour in the dog, while still allowing the dog a good life - can I propose ( and this isnt necessary my opinion as I honestly havent made u my mind ) that e-collars are acceptable, but should only be made available to and used by professionals and not the general public?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
I believe it works the same way a whistle works, but it's useful for when a dog won't respond to the distant sound of a whistle/rattle bottle etc. I see it as a 'nudge from a distance', rather than inflicting pain, discomfort or fear. I think proper training with an e-collar is preferable to never being allowed off-lead.
This is illogical IMO as a whistle is trained positively - provoking an almost pavlovian response in the dog who is habituated with food rewards to take notice of the whistle while the electic shock collar uses aversive conditioning through pain. You may prefer not to recognise pain in your dog, but it doesn`t affect how the animal feels.
I think proper training using positive methods is preferable to never being allowed off-lead.
Page 19 of 64 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 > Last »