Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
How are you personally affected by foxes in your suburban home, Clo? do they have a negative affect on your life on a daily basis?

I also wonder if anyone has any population statistics on the numbers of foxes prior to the ban on hunting compared to now?
i dont live in a suburban home i live in the middle of nowhere, where foxes are very much a problem. im from a farming background too, and have witnessed fox attacks on chickens, lambs being killed by them etc.. its how i have been brought up and as ive seen first hand what they are capable of, i dont feel guilty hunting them. just like i dont feel guilty about getting rid of rats, or other pests.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
?!!!!!!
I actually don't get your post at all!!!!
Battery farming is cruel. End of. As I said there are more
Cost effective and HUMANE ways to dispatch a fox
There are cheaper and more effective ways to raise and kill food for the table, we're willing to accept double standards depending on the animal. What's your definition of humane? For me, some of the welfare standards associated with the raising of lifestock are far short of what they need to be, and hundreds of thousands of animals suffer because we want to eat them. Yet our focus is where?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-01-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm curious -- how do foxes effect your life negatively in suburbia? I've never really understood this. There are tons of foxes around here, including a cheeky little git that sits on our back doorstep taunting our dogs through the door. I just don't get what "problems" they can cause your average person in suburbia that are not preventable?
They kill my chickens.I already have 7ft fences and still they get in.Poultry keeping is a popular pastime and why should i put up with having all my hens wiped out when it dont even eat one? Man isnt the only thing which kills for the sake if it-foxes do too.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
They kill my chickens.I already have 7ft fences and still they get in.Poultry keeping is a popular pastime and why should i put up with having all my hens wiped out when it dont even eat one? Man isnt the only thing which kills for the sake if it-foxes do too.
I'm sorry to hear that.

I know a lot of people who keep chickens & other small furries (rabbits, gunieas, etc.) and fortunately none have a problem with foxes. Presumably their enclosures are secure enough to keep predators at bay.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
There are cheaper and more effective ways to raise and kill food for the table, we're willing to accept double standards depending on the animal. What's your definition of humane? For me, some of the welfare standards associated with the raising of lifestock are far short of what they need to be, and hundreds of thousands of animals suffer because we want to eat them. Yet our focus is where?
Cruelty is cruelty however and wherever it happens and just because there are poor animal welfare standards in farming at points, doesn't mean fox hunting is any less cruel.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm sorry to hear that.

I know a lot of people who keep chickens & other small furries (rabbits, gunieas, etc.) and fortunately none have a problem with foxes. Presumably their enclosures are secure enough to keep predators at bay.
That's a bit harsh, are you saying some folk leave out a welcoming sign to say foxy come hither, kill all my beloved pets/animals?

I've known people with electrified enclosures still lose their stock/pets to foxes.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 07:10 PM
I won't keep chickens and the guinea pig is in at night and for winter as we do have an active fox, he has killed pet rabbits and a kitten.... I won't be responsible for an animal being killed by a fox because I decided to keep it despite knowing we have this very active one. I live in suburbia with a lot of green spaces/woodland.

Still don't think a pack of hounds should
Come charging down the street with lots of people on their horses on a jolly behind them...
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-01-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm sorry to hear that.

The coop itself is totally secure,but the run cannot and thats where the problem is.

Foxes have no place in suburbia,but unfortunately misguided people do insist on feeding them and this inturn is gradually teaching them not to be afraid of man.Its also turning a hunter into a scavenger.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Really? Wiped out? I think the Grouse moors you know must be very different to the ones I do. Thats an incredible sweeping and very untrue statement.

You specifically breed sheep, keep them a few weeks and then slaughter them to eat, you think thats ok. (So do I ) however you defend it vehemently from those that do not agree yet dont appear to respect those who shoot, I dont understand that. I absolutely know that if you had Fox predation on your flocks you would deal with them, and that wouldnt be by shooing them off or asking them politely to leave!
I never said that I have no respect for those who shoot But perhaps you could direct me to a gamekeeper who would happily live alongside foxes, stoats etc. I would love to meet him

Yes my husband breeds sheep (most of our lambs are slaughtered between 10 and 11 months btw, although 50% are kept for breeding). If there were regular fox predation on the flocks then I suppose that particular troublesome fox (or pair) would have to be dealt with by rifle. Not that it would sit happily with me
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The coop itself is totally secure,but the run cannot and thats where the problem is.

Foxes have no place in suburbia,but unfortunately misguided people do insist on feeding them and this inturn is gradually teaching them not to be afraid of man.Its also turning a hunter into a scavenger.
Lol. Wonder how many people said that about wolves.....
Page 19 of 27 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 > Last »