Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Why do you need experience of Dobes, surely a dog that has bitten and may have issues that are deep set due to pain / trauma / treatment.. is a dog is a dog ..if you have experience of dealing with such traumatized dogs, does it matter the breed..
Well considering in an earlier post you said it does, i guess so!
I posted about our experience with an aggressive cc and your respone was something alone the lines of ' and crested and a dob are two VERY different dogs, and can not be compared!'....
(not forgetting i had already said that in my original post!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Why do you need experience of Dobes, surely a dog that has bitten and may have issues that are deep set due to pain / trauma / treatment.. is a dog is a dog ..if you have experience of dealing with such traumatized dogs, does it matter the breed..
all breeds have their own characteristics, i have no experience of large guarding breeds and would be doing the dog a diservice even thinking about having a crack at sorting
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 09:09 PM
And the thread goes on...

All these posts from people doing their utmost best to save this dog, no one, not once as far as I can see has asked how the baby is today..

I'd at least like an update to say how the OP's baby is doing in all this
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Any dog which has bitten a child surely is a time bomb waiting to go off.

If any of mine had bitten whether or not it was serious the dog would be pts,no matter how much I loved them.

I have seen the aftermath of an attack on my son,it's not nice I can tell you that.It's not just the injuries you have to deal with.

How many of you on here have kids and how would you feel if that dog had bitten one of yours,you give it a second chance,your friends child ends up with serious injuries,how would you feel knowing that this could have been prevented.
I would never forgive myself.I could never keep a dog which had bitten my child.

A bite is a bite,had the op not been present who knows how it would have ended up.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Any dog which has bitten a child surely is a time bomb waiting to go off.

If any of mine had bitten whether or not it was serious the dog would be pts,no matter how much I loved them.

I have seen the aftermath of an attack on my son,it's not nice I can tell you that.It's not just the injuries you have to deal with.

How many of you on here have kids and how would you feel if that dog had bitten one of yours,you give it a second chance,your friends child ends up with serious injuries,how would you feel knowing that this could have been prevented.
I would never forgive myself.I could never keep a dog which had bitten my child.

A bite is a bite,had the op not been present who knows how it would have ended up.
Totally agree Sal. I had a dog here that nipped the back of my great niece's leg. I managed to rehome him though to a nice lady who only had another older dog and no kids at all. I would never have trusted the dog and my son's friends come in and out the house so dog imo had to go as I would never have forgave myself if he had to have bit again and caused serious injuries
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Had the OP not been present then I would consider her to be terribly irresponsible. Anyone with common sense knows you never leave a child alone with a dog...ANY dog. Because anything can happen.

I disagree that "a bite is a bite." If this dog has a medical condition (and it sounds very much as if this dog might have a thyroid condition), then with proper medication the dog might be perfectly fine. That's my major issue here. Hypothyroidism causes aggression and this dog has some of the symptoms of it. If it were my dog, I would have him checked out ASAP. NOT put to sleep. And I would find a way to keep my child away from him in the mean time. You can't tell me there's NO WAY to toddler-proof a room in a house.
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2010, 01:28 AM
THE OP WAS DRAGGING THIS DOG AWAY FROM HER KID AS IT GROWLED AND LUNGED AND STRUGGLED TO GET BACK AT THE CHILD TO FINISH THE JOB IT HAD STARTED.

If this were my dog, it would not have seen another sun rise.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Ive just read this thread. Its said the dog has a lot of bite scars over his body & face. He is also dog aggressive, Isnt it possible this poor dog has been used as a "stooge" in dog fighting, possibly why he was found straying, he either escaped or was thrown out because he wasnt good at fighting back. They use other (softer) dogs to train their fighting dogs. If something like this was the case this dog is probably very badly scarred both physically & mentally

Its a very sad situation but i cant see theres any choice but to get the dog out of the house. Even if they kept the dog they would always be waiting for the "next" time. Sometimes dogs see children as prey. In previous homes he may have been tormented by children, we dont know

Years ago i came across such a dog, i saw it happen. Dog made no sound, toddler was beside the dog (not touching) & the dog went straight for the head. I got there as the dog did & before any damage could be done. Would i ever trust that dog again, no not near children.

The owner of the dog gave him to an experienced dog trainer who had no small children for rest of its life.

I think this dobe has had a dreadful life by sound of it but i
feel so much for the poster who wanted so much to help the dog. Very sad.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Home with no kids or visiting kids, like i said my minx would bite any kid that came near her, she hates them, bad hips and a home previous to me that had two toddlers that pulled her about.

How do i do it, if we pass kids out and about i put her on her lead, and if we are at events and stuff she is away where she can't come to any harm, if they are all on lead i just tell people not to approach her.

For me this boy has shown no aggresion in the year he has been out of the RSPCA till this incident, that would indicate to me that something has happened to set him off, i'm not doubting for one minute what the OP has said, but i do believe that this lad deserves a chance, it maybe that if he is out of this situation with somone that undestands dogs that he won't do it again.

As i said earlier i have no problem with PTS an aggressive dog, but only when i personally have the facts

Exactly, you need to have all the facts (be involved) to be able to make any decision... as it is we are all making up our ouw minds on this dog from what we have read.

The poster has to make up her own.....

Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Well considering in an earlier post you said it does, i guess so!
I posted about our experience with an aggressive cc and your respone was something alone the lines of ' and crested and a dob are two VERY different dogs, and can not be compared!'....
(not forgetting i had already said that in my original post!
My response to you earlier in comparing a Dobe and a CC was purely down to size and strength, (which I mentioned) not breed, you were comparing your aggressive CC to this case in hand , and thats where I said the two can not be compared.. a CC that attacks a child will leave a few scars , a dog the size of a Dobermann , will do a little more than that.

If a CC has a paddy, you can pick it up with one hand and tuck it under your arm.... a dog with the strength of a Dobe, will be a little harder to deal with as Kitty found out,
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
all breeds have their own characteristics, i have no experience of large guarding breeds and would be doing the dog a diservice even thinking about having a crack at sorting
All breeds have their own characters I agree, but they are all dogs and a traumatized dog is a traumatized dog, yes its always best for a bred to go to said breeds rescue if possible, but when needs must and no breed rescue is at hand, surely a experienced "rescue" has enough knowledge to deal with e traumatized dog..regardless of breed, other wise how do all the trainers /behaviourists/rescues manage to help ALL breeds regardless of characteristics
Closed Thread
Page 19 of 47 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 > Last »