View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Organic animals must be fed mainly on organic feed (95% for meat, 80% for chickens). They live in free-range conditions, but standards from some bodies, such as the Soil Association are stricter than others and offer further animal welfare benefits.
Taken from...
http://www.channel4.com/food/adverto...s-organic.html

So yes...organic does mean free range, if not better depending on who certifies it, plus it has the added benefit of not being pumped full of ...um...stuff
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
A true vegetarian doesn't consume ANY animal products for which the animal had to die to produce. No non-veggie wine, cheese, the lot.
A true veggie does not eat fish or shellfish as they had to die. Those people are pescatarians.... or the conveniently undecided
I was a true, strict ovo-lacto vegetarian, ie I ate eggs and dairy, the sort that is generally meant by 'vegetarian'.

The biggest hypocrites are veggies who do eat fish or shellfish and still call themselves vegetarians..... or drink wine, cheese, yoghurt or all the other things with dead animal products in.

I don't need to justify what I eat. I eat what I want. I am answering the question as to why I eat meat.... and am also trying to show the main reason a lot of people who are true veggies (not the 'I'm a vegetarian but I do eat prawns brigade')don't eat meat, that they feel better for not eating it.

It's like veggies who say they don't eat meat as they don't like the taste. Well about all those other animal products that you don't even taste, the rennet, the gelatin, the blood powder in wine. If you are a veggie and you consume those then why?.... and if you don't again, why, because it can't be because you just don't like the taste. It's because you don't like the idea of where it comes from because of how it is produced and as such feel better, ie get self satisfaction, from not eating it, ie you would feel bad eating it. Not because you don't like the taste, not because you are allergic or for other health reasons, purely because not eating it makes you feel better, gives you self satisfaction.

Note the phrase 'self righteous' has never been used by me, a bit of word twisting going on here me thinks.

*Puts the toys back in the pram*
You say you do not have to justify what you eat, so why so judgemental of people who eat differently to you? Why cannot people not eat meat because they don’t like the taste? Would you eat something you dont like the taste of?

Whats wrong with people not eating meat because they do not like the idea of an animal having to die to satisfy a what could be called a self satisfying need to be satisfied by meat.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Yes, it also helps that most supermarkets tell you whether its veggie now though, not like when I first became a veggie, (I have been solidly one for 18 years but on and off for years before that, tuna was my weakness then!! )
I was lucky, my Mum isn't the biggest meat fan and my dad prefers fish, so she never forced me to eat meat... the family just said it was a phase I was going through, like my teenage angst... the phase has lasted a while now!!
I am not the healthiest veggie in the world though, as I have a weakness for chocolate and cheese, but I do love veg and fruit too... but don't really like much quorn or soya See, I am a nightmare!!
It is a lot easier now I must admit. 30 odd years ago you were lucky to get a salad (was actually offered a ham salad once) and in my old job I was told chicken soup wasn’t meat – it was yep soup!

I just don’t get why people get so riled up about it and insist on telling people why they do it – does it really matter?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
reading this thread has made me wonder if I could cope with going vegie for a week?

I may give it a go in the next couple of weeks and let you all know how it goes,
bet I would give up within a couple of days though.
Shona you may find it a lot easier than you think! have a look at the vegsoc's website for loads of recipes, easy and quick to make and very tasty. Its funny people think its difficult but it really is not. If you need any helpful hints let me know

http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/index.html

Give it a try! My OH is not a veggie but he eats veggie when he is here, he does admit that the food I cook is far more varied and flavoursome than the usual meat and 2 veg he was used to. He mostly eats veggie when we are out now as well.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
You say you do not have to justify what you eat, so why so judgemental of people who eat differently to you? Why cannot people not eat meat because they don’t like the taste? Would you eat something you dont like the taste of?

Whats wrong with people not eating meat because they do not like the idea of an animal having to die to satisfy a what could be called a self satisfying need to be satisfied by meat.
I'm not being judemental of people, esp as that's exactly what I was once.
I'm not saying people can't eat meat because they don't like the taste at all, I'm saying that IF they also are true veggie and don't eat the tasteless animal products such as rennet then they must be doing it because of the cruelty/death reason.
I'm also not saying it is wrong to not eat meat for that very reason, no where does I say that at all.
And yes, eating meat can give you self satisfaction exactly the same as veggies get self satisfaction from not eating meat. What is wrong with admitting that? Because I really don't understand why it can't be admitted that true vegetarians, who don't eat meat or any other animal product, get a sense of satisfaction from not eating animal products.
It's as if you're saying it's a bad thing to feel good in yourself for being a veggie???

I thought in fact it was the main reason people became vegetarian?
It can't just be for health reasons, as they'd still eat fish?
It can't just be for taste reasons, as they'd still eat the stuff that tastes of nothing?
It's because you don't like an animal suffering... and you'd feel better in your 'self', ie self satifaction for not causing that.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Shona you may find it a lot easier than you think! have a look at the vegsoc's website for loads of recipes, easy and quick to make and very tasty. Its funny people think its difficult but it really is not. If you need any helpful hints let me know

http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/index.html

Give it a try! My OH is not a veggie but he eats veggie when he is here, he does admit that the food I cook is far more varied and flavoursome than the usual meat and 2 veg he was used to. He mostly eats veggie when we are out now as well.
thanks spot, right here is the deal, I will give it a go from monday morning for 7 days, I will do a thread on it letting people know how it goes
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
thanks spot, right here is the deal, I will give it a go from monday morning for 7 days, I will do a thread on it letting people know how it goes
Goodluck Shona!
After watching that McCartney documentary a few years ago my oH said the same thing......
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Why do I still eat meat?

Because I love it! I do eat veggie dishes, but not often - and only if there is no meat available.
I have meat at least once per day.

People who say they are veggies, but eat fish confuse me!
Don't have anything against veggies though!
But I choose to eat meat
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=Hevvur;1881636]
People who say they are veggies, but eat fish confuse me!
QUOTE]

Me too I had a friend who was "vegetarian" but ate chicken it was really bizarre to me so I asked her why it was alright to eat chicken. Her response was "because chickens are stupid" I started laughing and said you obviously havent chased any sheep lately I dont think she quite got it, needless to say I think she was a bit worse than the chooks she let herself eat
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 01:18 PM
I am still a bit confused about the whole organic/free range debate.

I found this on the DEFRA website.

"Livestock
Livestock form an integral part of the majority of organic farms, although there are some successful stockless systems. Organic livestock enterprises are land based and are generally supported from the farm's own resources as
far as possible.

Organic standards do not allow intensively housed stock or systems where a large amount of total feed has to be bought in. Most existing dairy, beef and sheep enterprises can be converted to an organic system, given appropriate changes to feeding, housing and health management. Pigs and poultry must be managed extensively under an organic system, with extensive outdoor access. Organic standards require that the feed ration is 80 per cent organic for non-ruminants, and 90 per cent organic for ruminants. For
ruminants at least 60 per cent of dry matter must be from fresh or conserved forage."

So this sounds to me as though poultry and pigs have to have extensive outdoor access but what about cattle and sheep? It sounds as though they can't be "intensively
housed" but not that they have to have access to the outside? Maybe this is where grain fed beef comes in?

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks for starting this debate though Azz, as I am certainly learning about something I already thought I knew a bit about - but clearly don't!
Page 19 of 25 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 > Last »