View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2011, 12:24 AM
I do like, a lot of aspects of Crufts, my only criticism is to the GP its symbolic; symbolic of showing and the dog world as it's the "real deal" and whilst steps about breeding related issues are beginning to be put in place nobody can dispute that a lot of public opinion teetering to negativity about the breeding based issues behind the dog world are unfounded or unreasonable, and due to the symbolicness of Crufts it kinda gets witch hunted with all of the problems such as this. When in reality anyone can see its everyone involved from the chair person of the kennel club, through the judges, the breeders, the exhibitors and maybe even more importantly the pet owners/buyers that are responsible for sorting any breeding related issues, as opposed to just one show. Though I can see how some can say that it could be so much more than what it is, and maybe in time it will be.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I think the peke that memorable year was actually so overheated it needed an ice pack to sit on.

Teaching tricks agility etc is great, it is stimulating for the dog. Personally I think agility shouldn't be at Crufts----the surface is NOT good and too many dogs slip----but the 'glory' of being there beats the concern for the dogs.

rune
The agility is done on astroturf, as are the show groups and BIS
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2011, 05:27 AM
Ok I was'nt going to respond to this 'squeaky toy' kind of pre Crufts baiting ( you know the one - poke the show folk and listen to them sqeal !! ) but I thought that you all might find this interesting :

Crufts Comments... Coming to a Continent Near You?
Good lord. Who are these people? Here's a sampling of reader comments from the article "Health checks for Crufts entrants are too little too late"

Dog show-breeding stinks. The people who breed these dogs don't give a toss for their animals' welfare, no matter what they say.
It's a shame about the mongrels, they're generally much healthier, intelligent and enjoyable dogs.
The people who breed those dysfunctional monstrosities ought to be jailed.
There's only one breed: DOGS (read: cross-breeds, mongrels). Those which are given the label "breeds" are inbred mutants (sic).
These kennel clubs are disgusting. The poor creatures are just status symbols for the owners and nothing else; owners who are usually loners - childless, anti-social, eccentric, vain, pompous creeps who are completely ignorant of biology.

Yikes! Ignorant of biology? That's gotta sting!

But really -- is anyone surprised that vet checks didn't satisfy the activists? To the anti-purebred crowd, round 2 started the day The Kennel Club agreed to change breed standards. Now that there's blood in the water, nothing the breeders do will be enough.

As astonishing as some might find it here in the United States, attitudes like these have already taken root across the pond. And while such views haven't achieved the same level of penetration here, they've begun to seep into the mainstream. Everyday, people with no real knowledge of the subject authoritatively proclaim the physical and mental superiority of mutts, or write off dog shows as little more than "canine beauty pageants." Such statements are in vogue. How many articles have you read over the last decade painting purebreds in a negative light (and how many of these articles relied on HSUS or one of their allies as a primary source -- all, or only most)?

It's fortunate that in the United States purebred enthusiasts have long taken a proactive stance in maintaining and improving the health of their breeds. Purebred breeders started using the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) as soon as it was created 40 years ago, and they have supported the AKC Canine Health Foundation (AKCCHF) since its founding in 1993, enabling it to identify and cure canine diseases. By itself, AKC has donated more than $20 million to the Canine Health Foundation to fund research, and AKC clubs and individual breeders have contributed money, educational guidance, and good breeding practices to ensure the preservation and improvement of their breeds.

As a result, purebreds in the US have never been healthier. If anyone has a credible, longitudinal, peer-reviewed study proving otherwise, please send it in. No such study exists. It is a sad irony that the bias against purebreds is largely due to the dedication of American breeders who support research studies aimed at identifying and curing diseases in purebred dogs. Because they have done this at a level not even approached by those who claim -- without solid evidence -- that mutts are healthier, the data naturally implicates purebreds.

While in the UK, there is an ongoing concerted effort to shame Crufts (the world's largest annual dog show) off the television, in the US, the AKC-Eukanuba National Championship dog show is going to be aired for the first time on broadcast TV (ABC) on January 23rd. No doubt we can expect a wave of animal activism with this airing, but let's not forget that it also provides one of the best opportunities yet to set the record straight and let the public know the hard work, dedication, and love that goes into breeding healthy purebred dogs!
and this post from a Vet is interesting too !

http://naia.typepad.com/naia/2011/01...low-up.html#tp
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 06:51 AM
I don't have much of an opinion on dog shows. I may be a new dog owner but I can jump in on the "panting dog" picture... he's smiling - even I can tell that, he's got the exact same expression my dog (collie crossed with god knows what else) gets when a tennis ball is produced and played with - and his entire face, especially his eyes absolutely light up. It's a very very different expression from when he's got himself a bit hot and started panting!

(And to think I used to roll my eyes in disbelief when my old housemate insisted her dalmation smiled!)
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 08:16 AM
This feels oddly stalker-like. No Dawn, Woody is panting because we've been walking with him. All of these were taken after a lovely, long walk in the countryside. Something my dog enjoys a lot more than 12 hours in a stadium with the occasional trot around a show ring so I can show all my friends how perfect his feathers and hocks are.

Lovely pics though so thanks for the reminder

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
there are bad and good dog owners in all areas - I agree with that, but on forums, meeting people irl and seeing on tv I dont like the attitude of many people at the top of the showing world, the people who are winning and will be at crufts
no all of course
but there are some things that are normal enough that people turn a blind eye to - or dont even see as a problem

I dont like these things

I have nothing against someone having a great day out with their pet

I have everything against someone with a shed full of dogs breeding only with an eye to win and whos dogs lives are limited incase something spoils their chances of winning
Who are cast aside when they are of no more use to make room for another potential winner
(yes sometimes people HAVE to rehome a dog for a whole load of reasons - just cos they cant do a hobby should never be a consideration)

I also find it sad that people have to sneak their dogs out of a show to get them to a walk round the lake not just my dogs but I would go stir crazy if I couldnt get out in the green stuff to play with my dog
This proves where I'm going with this and let it be known, the purpose of the thread is to express my opinion. I don't like Crufts for what it stands for. I also don't like showing, but only because I don't get it and I never will, it's not for me, or my dogs in this capacity.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Shame on you, cant you see what a stressed out dog he looks in an overheated Tin shed, panting away through stress,

Whats the saying a picture paints a thousand words...

Poor Flynn he is going to be one unhappy boy missing out on all that attention he would get from everyone who sees his happy smiley face.

Not sure what you are on tonight Pidge, but you seem to be making arguments for argument sake, because some of your reasons for dislike are falling flat on their face, maybe do a little more research .

There is no prize money, no prizes, the NEC, is not heated, the dogs dont spend 12 hrs a day tied up looking miserable on benches, they can go outside to pee and exersice, the toilet areas are cleaned regularly, dogs dont have to defecate over other dogs waste.

Seems you just want to grumble about something you have a problem with , showing and pedigree dogs,

So whats your next dog going to be then, if not a SS
I don't get this? I said I will never BUY another pedigree. Have you not heard of breed rescue?

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
We've been a few times now, I must say I didn't find it hot...infact last year I wasn't very warm at all.

We saw alot of Dogsey members and thier dogs and they all looked very relaxed and took it in thier stride (at least the ones I saw)
Borderdawn's Livvy was having a ball....with all the fuss

Pidge I think you need your legs slapped hun....I walked past you a few times at Crufts and you looked happy enough
I think your just bored tonight aren't you
Erm, I was there with work promoting responsible breeding and helping people choose the right puppy, something I am very passionate about. Wouldn't quite work if I was miserable now would it and yes, I'd heard you saw me when you were there. Funny how you didn't come and say hi isn't it.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
My sentiments too,

Pidge, I also saw you having a good time there, 9 mths or so is a long time for you to dwell on it and decide its a terrible place
I can't say I've spent the past 9 months dwelling on it but I certainly came away with lots of things to ponder from what I'd SEEN whilst there. As well as a bargin bag of Arden Grange Crunchy Bites

Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
You really need to get your facts straight Willy was born over here and shown over here. He subsequently went to the US and came back for Crufts.
Pidge I really wish you'd check your facts oh and by the way you cant buy Iams at Crufts never have been able to.
OK, I'm not too hot on the FACTS I never am really as my memory is rubbish, but I trust my instincts and my feelings on things and they are telling me that unless things change I am not a fan of Crufts. I am entitled to that opinion.

Oh and Iams was once at Crufts but I can't find anything to prove that to you online.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
This feels oddly stalker-like. No Dawn, Woody is panting because we've been walking with him. All of these were taken after a lovely, long walk in the countryside. Something my dog enjoys a lot more than 12 hours in a stadium with the occasional trot around a show ring so I can show all my friends how perfect his feathers and hocks are.

This proves where I'm going with this and let it be known, the purpose of the thread is to express my opinion. I don't like Crufts for what it stands for. I also don't like showing, but only because I don't get it and I never will, it's not for me, or my dogs in this capacity.

I don't get this? I said I will never BUY another pedigree. Have you not heard of breed rescue?

Erm, I was there with work promoting responsible breeding and helping people choose the right puppy, something I am very passionate about. Wouldn't quite work if I was miserable now would it and yes, I'd heard you saw me when you were there. Funny how you didn't come and say hi isn't it.

I can't say I've spent the past 9 months dwelling on it but I certainly came away with lots of things to ponder from what I'd SEEN whilst there. As well as a bargin bag of Arden Grange Crunchy Bites

OK, I'm not too hot on the FACTS I never am really as my memory is rubbish, but I trust my instincts and my feelings on things and they are telling me that unless things change I am not a fan of Crufts. I am entitled to that opinion.

Oh and Iams was once at Crufts but I can't find anything to prove that to you online.
Yes, of course you are entitled to an opinion. But when it is supported by erroneous facts, you can't be surprised that people have no respect for that opinion.

There are lots of activities (including showing) that are not for me and my dogs, but I don't see the need to start a thread bashing those activities and particularly not based on misinformation.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Actually - Crufts can say what they like about the reason that the BBC dropped it like a hot potato, and say that the franchise was ended by themselves etc. etc.

The sight of that little Pekinese toiling around the ring whilst struggling to breathe, and then actually WINNING Best in Show sickened me, and thousands like me.
I actually know the Peke and his owner. It had been going to my Ringcraft since it was 14weeks old and I can tell ya it was a bloomin nuisance chasing Poms around the floor lol It suffered from Tonsilitis nothing more lol As for the thousands more like you well I believe that is your perception only

Oh - and I believe that Pedigree Chum pulled out of sponsorship for the same reasons, although I have not looked into this one to verify why they scarpered.
Pedigree were already withdrawing from Champ show sponsorship long before PDE

I show my dogs and can assure you I have withdrew some from the showing as it showed that they did not like it. IMO A dog that does not like showing will not be at shows as ya can tell and they will never get anywhere with winning.
As for 12hours, never have I been at a show for 12 hours lol and I usually travel approx 4-5 hours to get to most Champ shows

I agree with ya though Pidge I do not like Crufts BUT its because of the amount of the Public that is allowed in
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
The agility is done on astroturf, as are the show groups and BIS
I thought it was now----didn't stop dogs slipping. Especially the larger ones.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Do what for?

rune
My apologies... I read "having done Crufts" implied you had competed ,my mistake!

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post

That's fine Pidge,no one says you should, but please get your facts straight before you blast something for the sake of it.

Because otherwise, one wonders what the reason behind this thread could be.?

Ermmmm... yes, but you are still BUYING a pedigree albeit through the back door, if it makes you feel more righteous to say , you are rescuing, but the fact is you are still buying a pedigree dog,

Where will you tell these people to buy their puppy from, if you are so anti pedigree breeders.

Mmmmm , a bit of a quandary for you dont you think, educating others to buy from reputable breeders , yet hating them at the same time!!

One would think someone with such principles, would live by them, and not compromise themselves

Seems to me, you saw what you wanted to see,

Then maybe you should have just stated that dog showing is not for me, instead of adding all the other "incorrect" twaddle to fuel your "wind up" all it does Pidge, is make you look vindictive and silly!

You`ve lost bit of credibility on this thread Pidge, because it gives the impression of someone who has nothing better to do , then start a thread to wind others up!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
Pedigree were already withdrawing from Champ show sponsorship long before PDE

I show my dogs and can assure you I have withdrew some from the showing as it showed that they did not like it. IMO A dog that does not like showing will not be at shows as ya can tell and they will never get anywhere with winning.
As for 12hours, never have I been at a show for 12 hours lol and I usually travel approx 4-5 hours to get to most Champ shows

I agree with ya though Pidge I do not like Crufts BUT its because of the amount of the Public that is allowed in
That makes sense!

rune
Page 19 of 103 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 69 > Last »