Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Nope----I am telling you that they manage it without a lead!

A dog could be as easily taught to use a natural action and stay with the handler with its head in the right position. Then the tight leads wouldn't be needed and the dogs would look as good.

To comply with KC regs the lead would still be worn but the dog would be moving in the way you want it to without the high up choked look.

The teaching would of course take time.

rune
Id rather my dog look like a dog thanks, not something welded to my leg and look so unaturally "wrong" it makes really really feel very sorry for them. Thats the truth, even a few seconds round the ring doesnt come near to the several minutes obedience dogs are asked to endure.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Some agility dogs are wound up before their run by playing tuggy or whatever, and some are kept as calm as possible. It all depends on your dog, i have one that i need to hype up and one that i do everything possible with to avoid her getting worked up (near impossible though! )

This thread does seem to be bashing the show dogs, and then turned into dog sports v showing.
Yes, there were dogs being shown that i thought maybe would have looked better if they hadnt been strung up so much, but i didnt see any harsh handling and will freely admit that i know zilch about showing so im not about to start bashing something i clearly know very little about.

People have different opinions on what is acceptable handling, people also know their own dogs- for instance i have one dog that needs very firm handling at the start of an agility round, she needs to be told and not asked and if she breaks the wait i will go back and firmly put her back in position....this could be seen as "harsh handling" by some i guess. Whereas if i did that with my other two they would totally freak out...so i dont.

I really dont understand how people can slate a dog being shown for a few minutes with a taut lead
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Some agility dogs are wound up before their run by playing tuggy or whatever, and some are kept as calm as possible. It all depends on your dog, i have one that i need to hype up and one that i do everything possible with to avoid her getting worked up (near impossible though! )

This thread does seem to be bashing the show dogs, and then turned into dog sports v showing.
Yes, there were dogs being shown that i thought maybe would have looked better if they hadnt been strung up so much, but i didnt see any harsh handling and will freely admit that i know zilch about showing so im not about to start bashing something i clearly know very little about.

People have different opinions on what is acceptable handling, people also know their own dogs- for instance i have one dog that needs very firm handling at the start of an agility round, she needs to be told and not asked and if she breaks the wait i will go back and firmly put her back in position....this could be seen as "harsh handling" by some i guess. Whereas if i did that with my other two they would totally freak out...so i dont.

I really dont understand how people can slate a dog being shown for a few minutes with a taut lead
Good post!!!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Id rather my dog look like a dog thanks, not something welded to my leg and look so unaturally "wrong" it makes really really feel very sorry for them. Thats the truth, even a few seconds round the ring doesnt come near to the several minutes obedience dogs are asked to endure.
You have misunderstood what I said.

You could train your dog to 'look like a dog' without a lead. If so many people can train what you describe as an unnatural position off the lead think how much easier it would be to train a 'natural' position and movement.

I know several people who have done it with a clicker and don't have to use the lead at all.

It does take time though.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I was talking about horses, in response to BM post , riding a horse into a bridle is not forcing, using some of the more barbaric equipment is though.
If you put a bit in a horses mouth and then ride into it you are forcing it!

If OTOH you can take the time to do bareback and bridless what I have seen a few horsemen do on u tube you are not forcing it.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You have misunderstood what I said.

You could train your dog to 'look like a dog' without a lead. If so many people can train what you describe as an unnatural position off the lead think how much easier it would be to train a 'natural' position and movement.

I know several people who have done it with a clicker and don't have to use the lead at all.

It does take time though.

rune
Perhaps I didnt understand totally but I dont see any problem with the movement or leads with the dogs anyway, so its not easy for me to picture your point. I guess Im happy doing what I do.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Well I'm not anti show dogs & I truly hate those cheesewire chokers up under the ears held tight. Judges should really insist dogs are moved on a loose collar & lead.

Loved the silly Bull Terrier & eventually the little Staffie she looked happy when pulled out in the line up.

All this tight lead & nearly all breeds being stacked has come across from the USA.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
of course they are exited, ..but they are not 'deliberately' hyped up (unlike flyball dogs) is what i meant.
And yet non of the dogs at my flyball training group are "deliberately" hyped up, they're just excited.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Have to agree with this, couldn't have a dog attached to my leg like that. Ontop of everything else, I'd be worried about standing on a paw with one of my boots...really don't think any dog is going to appreciate that.

Why is it that they're expected to move like that anyway?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 01:45 AM
fyi I dislike seeing agility dogs grabbed by the scruff also and if I see heavy handling at a show I am at I report it

bash away, see the difference seems to be agility people are not just turning a blind eye and closing ranks on anyone who dares to have the cheek to ask questions

and for further info - I actually do T touch on the start line and spend as much time as I can calming and focusing Ben

a GOOD handler should know their dog and know if they need warmed up a bit or calmed down
With Mia (although she isnt at shows - but in training) I do lots of focus exercises with her, with Ben lots of calming work
Yes sometimes people rev their dogs up a bit - I also see people reving dogs up a bit when they are interacting in the park to play ball with their pet dog
Page 19 of 28 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 > Last »