Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: do you think 12 weeks is to young to neuter a puppy
yes 83 83.00%
no 12 12.00%
dont know 2 2.00%
sitting on the fence 3 3.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 37 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
ISSUES REGARDING CASTRATION IN DOGS
The only true justifications for castrating dogs are 1) aggressive behavior toward other dogs in the same household and 2) perianal adenoma in old dogs.
Aggression to other dogs in situations outside the house is pretty normal dog behavior. Appropriate behavior. Since your dog will be on lead or inside a secure fence at all times, there should be no problem with dogs outside your household. However, if male house mates fight, and both need to stay with you, castration of one or both may solve the aggression problems. If you fault your dog for being aggressive to acquaintances while being walked on lead, you should not. He is guarding you. That simple. Honorable behavior. If you fault your dog for aggression in a 'dog park' where he is running free, or on the beach, or in the woods, well shame on you; you're the one at fault for risking his life in such an uncontrolled situation.
Do you agree with this?
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Oh I'm so sorry, I rarely give them to anyone actually, not many deserve them, in fact I think it's only Patch or Shona :smt042 ...... Here you go ......

:smt019 :smt016 :smt019 :smt016 :smt019

:smt042
i feel so privelaged ta hun , xdk
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Do you agree with this?
I think you will find in ZB post she said she would rather he had all his bits , its posted below the statement xxdk
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
i feel so privelaged ta hun , xdk
no probs, consider yourself raspberried :smt042
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Do you agree with this?
as a matter of fact i do,and im telling ppl if you dont want to breed get them done,both dogs and bitches but i give them that choice they have to pass all there health tests first.if they fail them there to be castrated or spayed,but i also give them the choice,i will not castrate a puppy of that age before i rehome him.

lets look at this from a diffrent angle shall we,alot of my friends havent got kids,and cant have kids.would make great parents but by some strange reason cant,there time is spent loveing animals dogs in particular,and there dogs are in fact there kids,would you put a 12 week old boy on the operating table and castrate him because he might have countless of unwanted children,or to stop him getting testicular cancer, it think not,so if people choice not to do it to there animals there (kids) so what,we as responsible owners know how to look after our dogs and bitches and when the time comes for spaying and castration it should be our choice not yours,
but advertising free castration from dogs trust is still ok because it gives pple a choice.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
as a matter of fact i do,and im telling ppl if you dont want to breed get them done,both dogs and bitches but i give them that choice they have to pass all there health tests first.if they fail them there to be castrated or spayed,but i also give them the choice,i will not castrate a puppy of that age before i rehome him.

lets look at this from a diffrent angle shall we,alot of my friends havent got kids,and cant have kids.would make great parents but by some strange reason cant,there time is spent loveing animals dogs in particular,and there dogs are in fact there kids,would you put a 12 week old boy on the operating table and castrate him because he might have countless of unwanted children,or to stop him getting testicular cancer, it think not,so if people choice not to do it to there animals there (kids) so what,we as responsible owners know how to look after our dogs and bitches and when the time comes for spaying and castration it should be our choice not yours,
but advertising free castration from dogs trust is still ok because it gives pple a choice.
Well said ZB, i myself dont have kids ,not threw choice simply because i cant ,and my girls are my kids , and i would not neuter my kids if i had them ,at 12 weeks old , so why would i or anyone else want to neuter there dogs at such a young age xxdk
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I ahven't checked out the links...no time, but out of interest are there any longterm studies on the social implications for animals neutered at 12 weeks?
I missed this, here's just 3 studies out of the numerous studies which were done, all of the studies showed there were no negative effects from early neutuering compared to neutering at the standard age of 6-18mths but there were positive effects.

1980 SPCA - 9,600 neutered 8 -12 weeks - No undesirable effects, in addition early neuters showed fewer behavioural problems, fewer weight problems and fewer medical problems compare to those neutered at 6 months - 18 months. This study included dogs up to the age of 14 years having been neutered at 6 weeks.

1995 Dr Preston Stubbs, Mark Bloombery, Dept of Animal Clinical Science. Three groups studied 1) neutered before adolescence at 7 weeks 2) neutered during adolescence at 7 months 3) Left entire. Results; group 1 - genitalia remain smaller but caused no long term or short term negative effects. Apart from quicker GA recovery times for the early neuters no other differences found between early neutering and adolescent neutering .Group 1 & 2 slight increase in adult height compare to those left entire but caused no negative skeletal or physical effects. Group 3) those left entire were found to be somewhat more aggressive and somewhat less affectionate, no other differences were noted between the groups

1997 Dept of Animal Medicine and Surgery college - 1456 neutered, half neutered less than 12 weeks, half neutered at 6 months of older. Results; the animals neutered at 6 months and over had significantly more complications than those under 12 weeks.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
It has only been 'Proven'..........in Your Opinion !
Not just my opinion

Dr.Bruce Fogle

"Unless you are a serious and responsible breeder, you should neuter your dog, early neutering reduces, or even eliminates, the risk of mammary tumors and womb infections in females, and prostate problems & perianal tumors in males. Neutered dogs also tend to be most responsive to training. if your dog is not behaving normally, or if behavioral problems develop, consult your vet. changed behavior might be a sign of illness also, and your vet may suggest using medications for certain behavioral disorders at the same time as you work on modifying the dogs behavior."

Ref: DOG TRAINING BY DR. BRUCE FOGLE

Behaviourist Karen Overall

"Finally, in the studies that have been done on puppies and kittens that were early spayed and neutered (6-8 weeks of age) there appeared to be no physical or behavioural effects except a lengthening of long bones (i.e., these animals are bigger).”

Ref: EARLY NEUTERING DOESN'T HAMPER DEVELOPMENT OF DOGS

Dr. Toodie Connor

""I am strongly in favor of breeders who want to walk the talk," says veterinarian Toodie Connor, a noted Tibetan Terrier breeder and owner of Animal Care Center just outside of Seattle, Washington. Connor believes early spay/neuter is the only way to ensure dogs won't be bred; papers, such as contracts or Limited Registration forms, simply aren't enough. "I believe that responsible breeders keep their puppies until they are twelve weeks old, and they can be spayed or neutered at that age," says Connor.s"

Dr. Miller
"They heal faster; they act as if they've never had anything done to them." Studies have been conducted and published that indicate the procedure is safe, and there is no increase in complications short-term from the actual anesthesia or surgery," says Miller. In the long term, there is, no evidence of any adverse physical side effects associated with pediatric surgery. "The growth plates close later, resulting in bones that are a little longer, rather than stunted growth--which is the common misconception," says Miller. "There is no significance to this increase in bone length. Other concerns about obesity, perivulvular dermatitis and urinary incontinence have been found to be groundless. They may be found in animals regardless of the age at neutering or their sexual status," she adds"

http://www.darlenearden.com/artclespay.htm

---------------------------------------------------------

"The research available on the physical, behavioral, short and long-term effects of prepubescent neutering in dogs and cats shows no adverse results. Based on this information, the American Humane Association supports this practice as a feasible solution to decreasing pet overpopulation and the tragedy of resulting deaths. Early sterilization practices are also endorsed by the American Veterinary Medical Association, the American Animal Hospital Association and the California Veterinary Medical Association."

Ref: http://www.danesonline.com/earlyspayneuter.htm

Summary of a studies on early neutering 1995 W PRESTON STUBBS, KATHARINE R. SALMERI, MARK S. BLOOMBERG

"Early neutering in dogs and cats is a safe and effective means of pet population control. The risks associated with surgery and anesthesia of pediatric patients are minimal, with the advantages being a shorter operative time, better visualization, rapid recovery, and decreased morbidity. The effects of prepubertal gonadectomy on skeletal, physical, and behavioral development are similar to those seen in animals that are neutered at a more traditional age (6months - 18months)"

Ref: http://www.danesonline.com/earlyspayneuter.htm

"In our third-year surgery lectures, I discuss the advantages and safety of early spay/neuter," says Clare R. Gregory, DVM, DACVS, a professor in the Department of Surgical and Radiological Sciences at UC-Davis. "In our experience at UC-Davis, the procedure is as safe as the procedures in older animals."

"Pediatric spay/neuter is safe and is less stressful on the patient than waiting until the animal is older, [when he or she also] loses the benefits of avoiding accidental pregnancy or mammary gland cancer, pyometras, false pregnancies, prostate disease and behavioral problems,"

"Younger patients recover from the anesthesia much faster than older animals. Pediatric patients will be up and eating within 20 minutes after the completion of surgery, as opposed to several hours for conventional age patients. They also recover from the surgery and resume normal activities much faster."

Ref http://www.darlenearden.com/artclespay.htm

"Is early spay/neuter risky or dangerous?

Any surgery has inherent risks. We try to reduce risks to as close to zero as possible by knowing our procedure and diligently watching our patients.
Young animals heal fast and are lower surgical risks than older animals who may be obese, in heat, pregnant, or ill.

Moreover, young animals are more predictable and wake up faster after anesthesia. Perhaps we were all the strongest when we were babies.

Why don’t all veterinarians do early spay/neuter?

I can only tell you why I didn’t do early spay/neuter in my private practice before coming to Best Friends. I was afraid to. I had been to a veterinary school that did not mention early spay/neuter or teach the techniques that make it a simple, safe, and effective procedure. Moreover, I was not given the knowledge of the benefits and the lack of harmful side effects."

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache......;cd=5&gl=uk

"Questions have arisen regarding the safety of this procedure and possible effects on the animals when they become older. However, as more studies have been done, and veterinarians have followed early spayed/neutered animals into older age, these concerns have been shown to be unfounded. Studies in which three groups of dogs were spayed or neutered at different ages showed no significant differences in growth rate, food intake, or weight gain in the three groups of dogs."

"Early spaying/neutering has been shown to be safe in multiple studies. It must be remembered that younger animals may need different anesthetics and are more prone to hypothermia (lower than normal body temperature) during surgery. But as long as procedures are modified to account for these differences, early spaying/neutering is very safe. In fact, animals spayed/neutered at a younger age, often have faster recoveries than those spayed/neutered when they are older."

http://www.peteducation.com/article....;articleid=903

"Pediatric or Early Spay Neuter refers to spaying or neutering pets at a much earlier age than the old six month standard. With today's anesthetics, advanced monitoring equipment, and surgical techniques, not only are these procedures safe in young puppies and kittens, the risk of complications is lower and the recovery period shorter. Concerns about adverse affects have been proven unfounded. The American Veterinary Medical Association, Association of Spay/Neuter Veterinarians, and the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Georgia, are among those that support early spay/neuter."

http://www.tracylanddvm.com/PSN/html/pediatrics.html

Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2007, 09:30 AM
There are also studies that say the complete opposite! The reason I don't agree with neutering early, isn't that I would worry about the GA nor recovery period it's just I believe that it is far better that a dog is allowed to mature naturally to make sure everything works (whether it ends up being 'used' or not) before considering such an operation. To suggest that the removal of organs that produce hormones that help with development has a zero impact is incorrect.
Becky
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
There are also studies that say the complete opposite!
Please show me a study that says early neutering is harmful compared to neutering at the standard age of 6-18mths
Closed Thread
Page 18 of 37 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »