View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Ohhhh, I'll have to add to this thread again now that we have Lola!!

Well - I have long been a fan of Frenchies and we wanted to get another dog, but much smaller than Marius!! We had the choice narrowed down to Bostons, Frenchies and Pugs, so Sid and I went to see them at a Champ show and immediately decided to plum for the Frenchies after we met them all at ringside. We both love the look of them, those daft bat ears and cobby wee bully bodies. They are a dog that wears their hearts on their sleeves too, we must have had about 10 dogs on our laps that day giving us the traditional French kisses lol

They are such enigmatic little dogs, you are so drawn to them and their clownish natures. I remember someone writing about them saying they should come with a warning sticker as they are so addictive and it's true!! Lola is the most comical dog I have ever met (and Marius takes some beating, believe me!!!) - she has the most MASSIVE personality, cracks you up on a daily basis I haven't had chance to show this yet in her pics or vids, but you will all see for yourselves in due course as we take more

I also love the way Frenchies look, as do lots of others - they aren't common where we are and every time we take her anywhere it takes an age as we always get stopped by someone asking what she is etc

She has faults like all creatures - she farts like the last man in the pub at chucking out time, snores like a old man, hates the rain and the cold in equal measure and loves human company more than is good for her - but I can forgive it all as her plus points way outweigh the negatives

I hold my head up high and say "My name is Anne-Marie and I am addicted to Frenchies"!!!
LittleMonster
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Asher was sort of an accident I guess, he doesn't match what we were originally after (we were thinking medium sized bitch up to about 2 years old, he's a 6 year old large male goldie), but my Dad grew up with labs, I've always loved labs and retrievers, and we saw him and he was just adorable!

We met him and he was gorgeous and friendly, and did the walks with him, and he just fitted us so well, we ended up bringing him home! And I've not regretted it for even a second
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Nixy69 View Post
We have 3 Greyhounds, 2 ex racers and one show bred.

Always wanted a Greyhound and when our last Collie died we got our first ex racer Mayzie a black beauty who wasnt suited to racing and so came to us at 16 months. She was soon followed by the worst abuse case our kennels have had Mimi another black beauty. Mayzie got us into showing and Mimi carried it on until we got out puppy Duke who is now 9 months.

They all live with 2 cats and share the happiest of lives.
Greyhounds!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
I hold my head up high and say "My name is Anne-Marie and I am addicted to Frenchies"!!!
that lola addiction is spreading, each time I come on here I look for my next lola and marius fix
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 04:30 PM
LOL Shona - welcome to my club
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 06:53 PM
I currently own a mixed breed, border collie and some sort of retriever. She's a rescue, around 4ish years old (best guess by a few vets). We adopted her when she was 2 1/2 years old.

When we decided to move so we could get a dog (we were living in an apartment complex that allowed no pets), we decided that we wanted a medium-sized dog, who was long-haired and black, and a big cuddler. We decided on black mostly because they have the hardest time getting adopted out of shelters. It's also been a bit of a "family tradition" to have black mutts. Except for my parent's latest dog, we've always had black mutts!

I met Dahlia on a transport and decided she was the perfect dog for us. She likes a good hike in the woods, but also loves cuddling up on the couch for a belly rub.

Would I look for the same cross? No. Only because that's not important to me. BC/retriever is an awesome cross, but I wouldn't purposely go looking for one. I also really want to get a purebred border collie in the future (not to be too specific, but I want a red and white, rough coat, prick eared dog, but I'll take whomever needs a home at the time!). I'm dying to do agility with a dog.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 06:47 PM
I thought I had replied on theis thread but can't find it now and things have changed now so I will reply anyway.
I have a Rottie xGSD. We were thinking of getting a Rottie or a GSD and then found poor Shady as a 5 week old pup in a scrap yard who had, had her tail cut off too shoort with scissors and kids were swinging her about by her legs so we just couldn't leave her there and she came home with us. She was a mix of both the breeds we couldn't decide between so it was perfect really all round.
I also Have a rescue greyhound called Kyiro. We went for a greyhound after losing our dear little Milo as Shady is fear aggresive with dogs but seems to take to greyhounds ok and we wanted to rescue.
I have to say Kyiro has converted us to greyhounds in a big way and after getting him I can see they will be our dogs of the future. They really are our perfect breed and I can't see me ever owning another breed now.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 10:53 PM
It's amazing isn't it Madmare? Once you have a greyhound then that's the only dog you want!! I adore them too and will only have greys and lurchers now!!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
It's amazing isn't it Madmare? Once you have a greyhound then that's the only dog you want!! I adore them too and will only have greys and lurchers now!!
It is amazing thats for sure. I've had many breeds over the years and never even considered a greyhound before and they never really appealed to me.
Taking Shady over to her field at the greyhound kennels so she can run free I found she loved them and they were the one breed she never reacted to and I saw what lovely dogs they really were.
Owning one now I realise what I have missed all these years and wish I had got to know the real them a long long time ago.
sandrine75
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Hello,

I have had quite a few dogs growing up, El Vez is the first puppy I have had as an adult.
The first I remember as a toddler was Bouboule our Pyreneean Mountain Dog,( Belle et Sebastien was hugely popular at the time).
d Sam, the rescue Irish setter who clearly was not ready to be re-homed. He had a passion for disappearing acts throughout his life but was my best friend. ( We would cower together whenever there ere fireworks or thunder). He died of a heart attack on my 18th birthday at the age of 15.
We then decided to get a golden retriever puppy, unfortunately the pavro jab was contaminated and the pup died, we got a second one from the same breeder and the same thing happened, as we were all heartbroken my mum said no more dogs. She spent a weekend away a few months later, and my dad got the classified out and we found an ad for labrador puppies, we went to see them the following day and decided on Junon.( She won over my mum very quickly).
I then moved to the UK and started looking after the golden retriever of my local every once in a while. Met my BF who had a staffie. Buster was 3 when we met and quickly switched from being my BF's dog to being mine. He really changed my opinion of Staffies. Buster was PTS in May.
We started talking about getting another dog and were going to go the rescue way until we realised that most of the dogs in our area are staffies and it was too soon to get another one. Fof bitch just had a litter (contraceptive failure), El Vez was the second pup who came to have a look at me and that was it.
I would definitely get another Staff but I am waiting for this one to be grown up
Page 18 of 24 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »