Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by chaospony View Post
Okay well I will let all the farmers here know your opinion, as their dogs are a warning system while they are in the house, while out and about they still warn when some one is coming up to them.
At no point did the OP say this dog never got off the chain, actually she said just the opposite that the dog was only on the chain when they were not out on the farm, taking it riding with the horses or the times it goes down to the pub. So really is only left alone over night or if they need to do some thing the dog cant do. She also has pointed out several times now that the owner of the dog said in a jokey way that it is a guard dog, probably as the dog didnt bat an eye or even bother to get up when she pulled in to their place. And it was others on here that assumed that the dog is used as a warning system.

TBH it does sound very much as if the dog has given up on life---if it didn't even try and greet the person it knew.

I too live in a rural area, many of us do.

Thank you for passing my opinion on to all your local farmers---LOL.

rune
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
TBH it does sound very much as if the dog has given up on life---if it didn't even try and greet the person it knew.

I too live in a rural area, many of us do.

Thank you for passing my opinion on to all your local farmers---LOL.

rune
Or it could just prefer it's own people. I have one who won't greet people he knows, he's just not interested. He has the people he likes and they consist of me and at a push my dad anyone else is invisible to him unless they have food
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by chaospony View Post
Well the OP did say early in this thread that the dog spent sod all time on the chain, as it was normally out with the owner doing work on the farm, or going out with them when they ride the horse, and even when they go down to the pub.
I think the op stated early on that the dog was allowed off the chain a couple of times a day, hardly " sod all time"

Seems now the couple of times has turned into sod all time, and the dog is now only " jokingly" called a guard dog.

One thing has not changed though, it still is chained up to a kennel for long periods on its own
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

07-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
Or it could just prefer it's own people. I have one who won't greet people he knows, he's just not interested. He has the people he likes and they consist of me and at a push my dad anyone else is invisible to him unless they have food
Thought its own people was present at the time.

my friend has a rottweiler who has always lived outside
You can't get any more " own" than that.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 07:41 PM
It WAS its own people!

rune
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
It WAS its own people!

rune
As far as I knew the OP is just a visiting friend, forgive me if I'm wrong. To my boy that doesn't class as his people.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

07-07-2012, 07:45 PM
As far as I knew the OP is just a visiting friend, forgive me if I'm wrong. To my boy that doesn't class as his people.
The op got out of the car with the dogs owner.

If you brought a friend home, your dog may not greet your friend but surely he may wag a tail at you".....his owner.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The op got out of the car with the dogs owner.

If you brought a friend home, your dog may not greet your friend but surely he may wag a tail at you".....his owner.
As I said forgive me but I don't remember that being said hence why I raised the "not his people" concept. I apologise for any mistake.

Yes my boy would leap up and greet me if not I would worry there was something wrong.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

07-07-2012, 07:50 PM
As I said forgive me but I don't remember that being said hence why I raised the "not his people" concept. I apologise for any mistake.

Yes my boy would leap up and greet me if not I would worry there was something wrong.
You can be forgiven for that, the threads dragging on, and we all can miss a bit here and there.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
You can be forgiven for that, the threads dragging on, and we all can miss a bit here and there.
Thanks I agree that the thread is dragging on...I really ought to just stop reading it!
Page 18 of 50 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »