View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 01:05 AM
I would never knowingly sell to someone who just bought a puppy with the intention of breeding hence the endorsements.
Im loath to sell into the show ring as well especially dogs much prefer them to go to nice family home where they're loved as pets the same as we do with ours.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Endorsements just mean no KC registration---which to a lot of people doesn't mean a thing. It did used to but not any more.

The KC is desperately trying in some sports to become the force it once was with the vetos and power that went with it. They aren't succeeeding.

It will be very interesting to see how they choose to deal with one upcoming agility case---it will be a bit proof of the pudding ish! ---sorry OT!

rune
Morewuffthan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
As I said I had a collie called Beth she has c-section cost £470, all pups were vaxed, panacured, went with advocate, she had 7 pups all pups and Mum fed science plan and goats milk and bit of raw, new bedding, heating costs and still covered all costs with bit left with donation for pups £175, so how do other breeders not make any money??
Easy to answer.
Say you had £1500 fixed costs "outgoings" to produce the litter and you had 7 pups to sell at £175 = £1,225 incoming gives you £225. But if you had bred to keep a puppy and lost 5 of them you would only have had 1 to sell bringing in £175.

£1500 outgoing minus £175 incoming = Loss of £1325

The more it costs to produce a litter the higher goes the price of a puppy. That's not counting the cost of an eye test and BAER test on the puppies plus possibly a microchip and kc registration and the supply of food included in the price of puppy.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk

Surely any breeder worth their salt would homecheck ?
I know plenty of breeders "worth their salt" and never do a home check.

But then they have had up to 18 weeks to get to know their prospective owners..in many cases sometimes longer, its not the "home" that counts its the people in it.

I have friends who have had prospective new owners speak to them on a weekly basis, and at the last minute turn someone away, because of 1) something they say 2) they get a bad feeling, in fact one friend turned a bloke away on the day he came to pick up pup,

I think you may be judging a breeders worth on their homing practices against "rescue" , its been said before why dont breeders home check, rescues do!

The difference is , as I said in the opening of my post, a breeder has a long time to assess their new owners, rescues don't, they have to have a very quick turn around to find their dogs homes,
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I know plenty of breeders "worth their salt" and never do a home check.

But then they have had up to 18 weeks to get to know their prospective owners..in many cases sometimes longer, its not the "home" that counts its the people in it.

I have friends who have had prospective new owners speak to them on a weekly basis, and at the last minute turn someone away, because of 1) something they say 2) they get a bad feeling, in fact one friend turned a bloke away on the day he came to pick up pup,

I think you may be judging a breeders worth on their homing practices against "rescue" , its been said before why dont breeders home check, rescues do!

The difference is , as I said in the opening of my post, a breeder has a long time to assess their new owners, rescues don't, they have to have a very quick turn around to find their dogs homes,
Actually i wasn't comparing from a rescue prospective, i was curious because of the people i knew which mentioned in previous posts breeding dogs i wanted to know what other breeders do i that case
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Actually i wasn't comparing from a rescue prospective, i was curious because of the people i knew which mentioned in previous posts breeding dogs i wanted to know what other breeders do i that case
Ok, misunderstood.

r
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Endorsements just mean no KC registration---which to a lot of people doesn't mean a thing. It did used to but not any more.

The KC is desperately trying in some sports to become the force it once was with the vetos and power that went with it. They aren't succeeeding.

It will be very interesting to see how they choose to deal with one upcoming agility case---it will be a bit proof of the pudding ish! ---sorry OT!

rune
Maybe its different in my breed but unregistered puppies are lucky to sell we're such a numerically small breed, and they certainly wouldn't command the £800 price tag registered puppies do.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 01:00 PM
I expect like many others they'd be happy with half that!

It would cover expenses and a lot more.

rune
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I expect like many others they'd be happy with half that!

It would cover expenses and a lot more.

rune
I think your missing the point we dont just sell to anyone. And if you were to buy a bitch and try to breed it without health tests and sell as unregistered you have to still find a stud dog.
Page 18 of 18 « First < 8 15 16 17 18