Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
I have a motto, SB may not agree, but if everyone followed this, then the lives of many dogs would be sooo much better.
I do not disagree at all, I TOO do my bit for rescue, ie I assess dogs for two Breed Rescues and I assess homes that wish to rehome a dog; plus I go and help people who have problems in order to PREVENT them coming into rescue and I have rehomed a dog myself.

I just have a different approach!

Not everyone CAN take on other dogs however and thus nobody should feel guilty or less "worthy" because they do not go in themselves, pay money and take a dog home; that is not a realistic or practical solution for many people and many dogs!
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I do not disagree at all, I TOO do my bit for rescue, ie I assess dogs for two Breed Rescues and I assess homes that wish to rehome a dog; plus I go and help people who have problems in order to PREVENT them coming into rescue and I have rehomed a dog myself.

I just have a different approach!

Not everyone CAN take on other dogs however and thus nobody should feel guilty or less "worthy" because they do not go in themselves, pay money and take a dog home; that is not a realistic or practical solution for many people and many dogs!
But you ARE doing youre part in saving dogs. maybe I wasn't clear, you dont need to keep dogs, or foster them to help save them, there are many, many ways to help save dogs. I for one cant foster or adopt any of the dogs I help rescue off the reserves, but I do foster some dogs, I just cant take in Rez dogs, but I fundraise, home check, do the front line work, haul food, vaccinate, medicate, and deworm the dogs out there, I also transport and train. but none of those dogs come home with me.

You do your part, I know you do, I've heard about it many times, and what better ways to help out rescues! Your expertise is very important for a rescue, and they're likely over the moon to have you.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Sorry I slightly misread your post! SB sorry about that. I thought at first that you were thinking I was trying to say everyone should take in dogs... oops
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Sorry I slightly misread your post! SB sorry about that. I thought at first that you were thinking I was trying to say everyone should take in dogs... oops

Nil problemo.

We can ALL help, but not necessarily in the same ways.

Some give money, some give time, some do PR, some transport, some foster, some rehabilitate, some assess, some walk dogs at shelters, some raise money etc etc.

One way is no better than another................
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 05:32 PM
If you intact did read what I wrote you will see that I said "a punch in the face is too good for this person and imprisonment is what she deserves sane as what she us doing to her dog" slightly different context to me saying I would just punch her in the face.

Tbh, you dont know me at all, if you did you would know that I do the same try to show my breed in the very best light, I am polite when out, even when my dog is met with disdain, and being attacked by fluffballs, I walk him unless and I take ownership very seriously

You are judging me on one comment taken out of context and implied the frustration that our dog laws show.

I remove Staffies from unfortunate owners and see how many beautiful dogs get PTS for no other reason than nowhere to go, collect pups from idiot back yard breeders and try to regime responsibly. All these things you would know if you read any of my threads. It's easy to pick up in one comment and create a persons personality based on it. Someone reading this thread might look at your sarcastic and patronising use of jeez when quoting jade sbt and form an opinion in you.

And yes whilst two wrongs do not make a right this particular person has rehomed many digs and clearly usnt learning anything. So sonething had to give sonewhere and sometimes action should be taken and laws worked with flexibility all of which i saud on my first comment. All you seemed to read from that was lets punch her in the face.

Of course just my opinion, but I think you Do me an injustice ma
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I did not imply anything, I merely observed that on a long thread the only two people who advocated using physical threats were SBT owners and, as SBT (and other breed) owners are constantly (see plenty of threads on here) going on about DEED not BREED, it seems rather ironic that it would appear to some that those stereotypes were justifed.

I own a GSD, I am uber careful of how my dog appears to others and how I appear to others when I am out walking.

I want both myself and my dog to be ambassadors for the breed and therefore am prudent in my behaviour and language.Y

Both in public and private, so that of course nobody can ever point the finger at either my dog or myself as using threatening behaviour!

If you do not want to attract discrimination it behooves you to be like Caesars wife. And as for the accusation that it is unjustified, well if you threaten someone with violence then I will infer from that written threat that this is your method of choice.

There were plenty of other choices available in this case, eg the OP was given TENS of GSD rescue contacts, none of which she chose to avail herself of.

The dog was not at IMMEDIATE risk as can be seen by the photos.

So, if you do not want to be accused of being a thug, do not behave like one; simple.

Otherwise you are just demonstrating that you are guilty of the same behaviour that this dog owner is/was; not treating other living things with the respect they deserve.

Two wrongs do not make a right.
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I think reading this that I would have also "lost" the bc and sbt on a walk and the RSPCA would have ne camping outside their door until they did something.

Tbh, I actually cannot comprehend how people do this.

Sometimes if laws don't work then people should work round them and that includes the authorities, however sadly it seems nothing will stop this person from having dogs so to remove these will mean they are replaced with more. I am with jade on this one a punch in the face is too good for people like this. Imprisoned is where she should be in solitary confinement and see his she likes it.
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Not really sure why you have such an attitude, I am merely expressing an opinion as have others and you seem to revel in mocking others. Some of your posts come across well written and intelligence and others just cause me to scratch my head !

Ultimately I am all about the dogs and some people such as this woman deserve and have earned no respect by the way they treat animals. I am firmly a believer that the way someone treats animals is a good judge if their soul.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Lordy!! Lordy!! Brundog I could give you a hug.You need to grow a few layers if you don't want to suffer an emotional response from her mental abuse.
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Hats off to your proudmummy for getting the GSD out of there and giving them the kick up the bum they so desperately need by the sounds of things.

We had the most amazing GSD when I was a child, also rescued from people who couldnt/didnt know how to cope with him. When my parents went to see him, he was so dopey, the wife confided he was drugged as they couldnt cope with him & her husband beat him, he was 10 months old!
My parents took him just to get him out of there. He turned out to be bl**dy fantastic! However, it soon became clear, if he was tied up for any reason, he was a nightmare! lunging, barking and basically pretty wild and aggressive.
Our neighbours GSD was the same, a gentle giant til he was tied up.
I'm sure I've heard and read it many times, tied up dogs can be a nightmare, their fight/flight response has been curtailed, what else are they supposed to do?

I really hope it works out with the behaviourist, he looks like a gorgeous pooch, best of luck and well done x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 05:02 PM
As you have already rehomed a Border Collie with the Army which is now "detecting bombs, drugs, weapons, and cash", perhaps this GSD might be suitable for them as either a GP or sniffer dog too?
proudmummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2011, 05:22 PM
I have already contacted the barracks where cody and ellie are and they are going to get back to me. Of course it all depends on what the behavourist says next week.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by proudmummy View Post
I have already contacted the barracks where cody and ellie are and they are going to get back to me. Of course it all depends on what the behavourist says next week.

Oh, don't they come out to assess the dogs themselves any more then? I know the MoD centre at Melton Mowbray normally do.

Would not that save you a lot of money as behaviourists do not come cheap and the MoD do it for nothing!
Closed Thread
Page 18 of 24 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »