Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Hi RAMBLE

Great idea to give your son the info so he can make an informed choice Here is some very basic info - if you would like more details please just let me know and I would be happy to PM you with more info and also a link that might prove helpful.

Basically for meat to be kosher it has to be come from an animal that did not:
- die of disease
- suffer at all with a long death

The animal is killed with one clean, swift slash to the throat; the knife MUST be 'pure', there cannot be any faults or flaws in it that could conceivably cause pain or prevent the cut from killing.

Certain parts of animals are not used for food - there are certain veins that will never be included in any Kosher meat.

And as you may well be aware, the school will not serve any pork or any shellfish as these can never be kosher.

It is also likely that the school cafeteria will not serve dairy and meat at the same time - Jews who keep Kosher do not eat these together.

The kosher rules are very strict which is why in the UK many Muslims buy meat from Kosher butchers.

I hope this will be of some help to your son and please do let me know if I can offer more details

Muslims will buy kosher meat not only in the UK either!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Tabithaj thank you so much that's hugely interesting and I may well take you up on the offer to pick your brains further!!! Especially about dairy! Does kosher meat have to come from a specific abbattoir? What about halal? The halal slaughter my ex described to me was done in a different part of the one he was checking, would that be right?
SB would there be specific halal farmers then? Or kosher?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-05-2011, 05:59 PM
I've never heard of a muslim buy kosher meat and vice versa - aren't they supposed to say a prayer on slaughter? So unless they're happy to swap religions for a meal here and there I can't see it happening myself
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I've never heard of a muslim buy kosher meat and vice versa - aren't they supposed to say a prayer on slaughter? So unless they're happy to swap religions for a meal here and there I can't see it happening myself

Kosher meat is eaten by Muslims both in the UK and - as Smokey Bear rightly notes - in other countries. I personally know quite a few Muslims who buy meat from a local Kosher butcher. Meat is kosher according to the criteria I outlined above so nothing offensive there to Muslims in terms of theology -)

Jews who keep Kosher will not eat Halal meat - Halal rules are slightly less strict, which is why. The Kosher, or Kashrut rules, are actually rather complex when delved into, I've just outlined them very generally above -)

RAMBLE - I will PM you later this evening
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Tabithaj thank you so much that's hugely interesting and I may well take you up on the offer to pick your brains further!!! Especially about dairy! Does kosher meat have to come from a specific abbattoir? What about halal? The halal slaughter my ex described to me was done in a different part of the one he was checking, would that be right?

I will PM you later with a link and a bit more info
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
All religions (especially those of The Book) have sects and degrees of orthodoxy. There are also exceptions which are allowed in various circumstances.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I will PM you later with a link and a bit more info
Thankyou that's really kind.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
All religions (especially those of The Book) have sects and degrees of orthodoxy. There are also exceptions which are allowed in various circumstances.

Muslims have no issue with Kosher meat, because both Judaism and Islam are Monotheistic - worship of only one deity. Though there are some major differences between these two faiths, they do share that and most Muslims will happily eat Kosher meat if they cannot get Halal.

That said, certainly in the UK, there are far more places to get Halal meat than Kosher. In some areas mainstream restaurants are now Halal.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Exactly,I was just about to post the same. You can't generalise.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Not sure I understand the bit in bold.

Many ultra orthodox jews have separate kitchens, one for dairy and one for meat, including dishwasher, cutlery, crockery etc. Obviously not everyone can afford this but other arrangements will be made.

As I said before there is a difference between "Halal" which is just a general term for "permitted" and "Zabiha" meat.

Because of the way of the world, travel, and the inability in some cases for the provenance of meat to be determined many muslims will not eat meat but vegetables only etc.

In Islamic countries it is easy to ensure the correctness of the meat as of course they are in control of ensuring what food goes into the animals and to prevent growth hormones being put in etc.

In non islamic countries sometimes muslims say a prayer before eating meat in case it may not meet the requirements of Zabiha.
Page 18 of 41 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »