Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by SallyG View Post
Yes I do actually. Why dont you give it a rest, you keep harping on about bloomin weetabix, how many litters have you bred? I have probably successfully hand reared more puppies than you have had dogs.

At least I dont feed them on bones, risking broken teeth, fragments lodged in the mouth, intestinal obstructions, and at the very least, worn down molars in the older dog.
most old dogs who are not raw fed dont have them due to them rotting! or thier breath STINKS!

No, I do not have a reference for this other than the amount of dogs I have come into contact with......
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:11 PM
My first wsd was brought up on rice pudding----my gordon setter was fed weetabix as a pup as was my parents GSD----thats what people did before puppy kibble. I fed my jrt pup on weetabix----I did tend to use goats milk rather than cows but most people who fed in a similar way didn't.

Scrambled egg was suggested and used and gradually we introduced other things.

The dogs seemed to survive fine---I don't think there was a lot of difference TBH, certainly mine seemed to live as long and as healthily as the dogs I now have who were brought up differently.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
The dogs seemed to survive fine---I don't think there was a lot of difference TBH, certainly mine seemed to live as long and as healthily as the dogs I now have who were brought up differently.

rune
Doesnt mean its the best thing for them though does it. I bet it was a common practice years ago, before puppy kibble like you say.. But now there is better stuff of more value to a growing pup why would a responsible breeder choose to use anything other
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:16 PM
I know HUNDREDS of raw fed dogs and none of them have had broken teeth, worn molars, fragments lodged in the mouth, or intestinal obstructions.

My oldest dog, 11 next year, has been fed raw since she was 1 (that was when I moved her over to raw) and she has such fantastic gnashers (despite gnawing all sorts of terrible bones) that the vets use her as an example to their nurses!

Of course NOTHING in life is risk free, but having been on several raw feeding sites for 10 years and knowing several vets very well, I have not heard of any of these things happening myself, although I am sure they do.

But that is only OUR experience and as I do not breed myself and would certainly hope NEVER have to hand rear puppies (that is what dams are for) I can't compare with YOUR personal experience with feeding dogs human cereal, I just prefer to feed dogs a species appropriate diet, one they were designed to eat, rather than convenience food made for humans!

I realise for many convenience foods must be a way of life, I prefer to avoid them for my dogs health and vitality.
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
ohh get of your high horse will you.. weetabix is not nutritional enough for a young pup, you should know that having bred yourself...

Why have you been hand rearing pup? ...

Dogs can choke on kibble and there have been more cases of such
So someone can be sarcastic about my comments, but if I respond I am on my high horse!

If the dam doesnt have any milk, or is poorly, if you didnt hand rear the puppies they wouldnt survive!!!!!!!!!

There are more cases of problems with bones than kibble.

Weetabix is good enough for us, and fine for puppies up to 12 weeks of age as one of their four meals a day.

End of.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by SallyG View Post
So someone can be sarcastic about my comments, but if I respond I am on my high horse!

If the dam doesnt have any milk, or is poorly, if you didnt hand rear the puppies they wouldnt survive!!!!!!!!!

There are more cases of problems with bones than kibble.

Weetabix is good enough for us, and fine for puppies up to 12 weeks of age as one of their four meals a day.

End of.
Research? I am someone who feeds kibble and occasionally raw, I would be interested to know where you get your stats from.
Thanks.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 08:09 AM
I feed kibble (tried Cherry on raw and she didn't like it) and Cherry is 10 now and has a perfect set of teeth gleaming white gnashers with absolutely no tartar. Why? Because I clean them every night!

When my sister got her Bichon Frise I said to her that she should clean her teeth regularly as small dogs can suffer more from dental problems. Unfortunately she didn't listen to my advice and now the vet has told her off about the state of Lily's teeth and she is much younger than Cherry.

It seems that many owners are choosing to try raw diets for puppies/older dogs and I am sure that is a better option than some of the cheapy kibble on sale but it doesn't suit every dog or owner.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Please point out where I said it was?

You didnt!!

Your post seemed to indicate that the KC was the only registration system that enabled you to be sure of a dogs ancestry.
I apologise if that was not what you meant.

I was merely pointing out that IMO this is not this is not the case.
No. my post was in direct response to another about the KC
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
most old dogs who are not raw fed dont have them due to them rotting! or thier breath STINKS!

No, I do not have a reference for this other than the amount of dogs I have come into contact with......
Perhaps you havnt met that many older dogs then. Never had a dog with stinky breath, or rotting teeth, all have lived well into the old age, way past the average for the breed, with all their teeth intact. They dont have wind problems either, something often associated with raw food.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
No. my post was in direct response to another about the KC
Ok - thats where the confusion came in then.

The poster said -
You dont need the puppy to be KC registered to be able to check ancestry,
To which you replied
yes you do, otherwise the "ancestry" could be a figment of the breeders imagination.
This to me indicates that you feel the only way to be sure of the ancestry is the KC.

Obviously that is not what you meant, so I apologise.
Page 18 of 26 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »