register for free

Dog News

Call for ban on electric shock collars

...has received 236 comments (page 18)
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2015, 04:15 PM
A little bit of effort and lateral thinking works wonders, doesn't it? .

Every dog, every human, every being has its own unique learning rate. Finding the key to unlock the 'roadblocks' along the way makes all the difference
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Apparently we have the largest brain in comparison to body size of all all other Creatures, yet........

I can only guess that humans in the "civilized world" do not comprehend kindness and I need to be very direct with my"opinions" as opposed to the "metaphoric" ways I've been taught to use to induce others to thinking.
Point1. e-collar-jury is still out. I'm open to employing it as a last resort when and/or if all other methods have been exhausted. Why?
Point2-because wolves know>(Chris. This may help you comprehend talking"canis lupus lupus"
>do good: played with, gentle touching, loved up=positive re-inforcement reactions/responces/'training techniques'.
or>do bad: get snarld at, bitten, beat-up, killed=negative re-enforcment/reactions/responces/'training techniques.
It's not in my nature to tell stories for entertainment.
Nor is it in my nature to be so straight forward.
I believe that we need to take our heads out of our butts and quit imposing our "human"/"humane" wills/ways upon the rest of creation and humble our selves to looking around and learn from Nature how to deal with Nature.
If I had my head stuck up my butt in regards to Gnasher using the e-collar because I thought it was inhumane and had the legal right to stop him/her from using to curb
?Ben? form eating himself to death.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2015, 05:30 PM
Chris: i have pondered for many hours what you said ... it was beautifully and very simply put and it made me question my ideas ... which is always a good thing.

I cannot support any other course of action though to the one i have taken. I find myself with a dog who is looking at me with a god like glint of adoration in his eyes! That is of course very anthrpomorphic, but since his bottom and now his ear has been 'cured', this is how he now treats me:

He will come to myside of the bed in the night and sigh .. if that doesnt wake me, he will nudge me. I then stroke him and he attempts to lick my mouth. I praise him and he lies down and goes to sleep. At about 7 am he repeats this process and awaits me telling him he can jump up on our bed. It is not enough now for oh to tell him , i have to now. He now will get down off the bed when i tell him to and does not threaten me any longer. I am now truly alpha female and as such seem to have more authority than oh! He lets me administer treatment to any part of his body now.

This has been achieved because i 'told' him i was boss through the e collar.

I cannot tell you w
Hat a metamorphosis has occurred in our house. I am awestruck!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2015, 05:35 PM
Musher ... you are so right. Wolves DO know.

As the cleverest species on the planet we must always keep an open mind and never say never.

I havent heard back yet from the mods regarding a direct thread giving you my email address ... but i havent forgotten ... i cannot wait to have some interesting discussions with you, you could teach me so much, best wishes x gnasher
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-01-2015, 08:03 PM
I had written a huge long post but deleted it because I knew a lot of people just would not get it.
Although I know there's not much use me saying...
In this post I am addressing a lot of apparent questions although I can only "disrepectfully" guess they are questions since very few had the humlity to actually ask.

Since people apparently can't come right out and ask for clarification yet expect others to know exactly what they mean.....

MUSHER. WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU THINK OF THE E-COLLAR?
e-collar With what I know I may use if I think it will work where everything else I've tried does'nt and/or has'nt.

WHY DID YOU SAY WOLVES SPEAK A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE?
I know the vast majority of humans will never comprehend that fact. Also the fact that dogs speak a similar language.
Also the fact because as humans we're too full of our selves, proud for nothing, arrogant,ego-centric to see the fire from other angle/s we will never come close to having enough humility to learn wolf or dog and /or stop imposing our "more evloved" "compassionate' will upon them and for that matter all other creaures.

(I'm sorry some people do not, or for that matter never will, comprehend).

If you can not comprehend me, how in the world will you ever comprehend a wolf killing a member of it's own pack out of compassion for the life of the pack. You can't because you can't relate to the neccessity of it.

If you burn garbage thinking there is absolutely nothing wrong with it you will most likely never comprehend that I will never burn garbage because of all the carcinagens and other pollutants.

What we as humans think of "whatever" is not neccassarliy what another species thinks of that very same "whatever".

If you think wolves don't use pain to teach you absolutely don't know wolves, or dogs, or bears, or horses, or gorillas, or pigs, or, or.... or...

If you think that as humans we are so much more evolved
than Nature maybe it's time to take a humble pill.
WE DON"T "HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS".
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-01-2015, 08:08 PM
sandgrubber wrote"I think too many people are stoked to throw the baby out with the bath without any attempt to look at what is in the bathwater."

yup!
and yup to another quote from him/her"Yes, e-collars are abused.
Yes, many dog training tools are abused."
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-01-2015, 08:14 PM
In my post started with"I had written a huge long post....", I am not singling out any one. "you" simply refers to whomever id reading and directed rather sideways at seeming questions rather directed towards me and/or remarks/posts I had made and/or remarked on/posted earlier.
I do not intend for anyone to become insulted, hurt or angered.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2015, 09:30 PM
and yet we would never dream of trying to train bears, horses gorillas and pigs with an e-collar and yet they can and are often trained to a very high standard by understanding what motivates them and utilising it
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Chris - Some of the ways that the four species of animal you mention are "trained" and treated doesn't even bear thinking about - an e-collar would count as light relief by comparison.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2015, 09:45 PM
and the way many of them are trained and treated does. There are always less than ethical ways to achieve goals, it doesn't make it right especially when there are so many examples of training with kindness and understanding that works far better (IMHO)
Page 18 of 24 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top