Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
OK you`re a troll. Unless you prove to me that you can wrestle a horse to the ground. You`ve been watching old westerns, love.
Ignore button.
Troll?! Lol because I have different views on training & express them? I'm sorry but like pure positive people believe in what they teach & will plug it until the end.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
Its like laying a horse down for the first time, there is a good amount of 'fight' in it as well & even if an expert natural horsemen is doing it it can seem cruel to the untrained eye because the horse fights so hard to relinquish control just like a dog does, the only difference is that a horse is A LOT bigger lol but the fundementials are the same.

The only thing that I disagree with what CM did is something that I do when I lay an animal down is that I make the laying down pleasent & when they WANT to get up I let them up, because I can always lay them down again & the next time is always easier because of that.
Why on earth would you want to make a horse lie down?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Why on earth would you want to make a horse lie down?
As a trick. However the dragon person is talking about laying the horse down which is done with ropes round the legs to force the terrified animal down. It`s the equine equivalent of `pinning` and is extremely cruel and traumatic for the horse. Proper trainers don`t do it.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 06:51 PM
well i was in horses for yonks & never felt the need to do that. Although once i was sitting on a straw bank in Hallies stable & she lay down next to me, with her head close. I think she trusted me.

Then some of the riding ponies were lazy , we had to sit on them to get them back up!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:19 PM
hmm yes again another way to show how man can domonate beasts but using force

I COULD force my dogs to the floor - I choose not to
My horsey friends COULD wrestle their horses to the floor - they choose not to

My dog COULD rip my arm open to the bone - he chooses not to
The horses COULD kick a big hole in someones head - they choose not to

Same we think we are the higher species but we dont see how kind animals are to us
about time we showed some kindness back

Horses are v amenable to clicker training and it is v easy to get them to target a knee touch to a marker, lower that marker to the floor then shape them lying down - for example
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
Once the animal does it once (& I'm talking about animals that came to us with all kinds of problems, one horse was perticularly bad due to not having a good start & we knew he wasn't going to be an easy lay down no matter how much we worked with him & we had had him three months already.

Our OWN animals we can lay down NP I can lay my own dogs down anywhere on any surface, in fact if I touch Izze on a special plaxe on her body she will practically flop onto her side & go limp lol. I kind of make it a 'trick' when I teach it to my own.
I'm pretty sure that every argument against you is met by you putting your fingers in your ears and singing, loudly "la la la la I'm not listening" which is a bit of a shame as you seem like an intelligent person.

Who knew, eh?
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
As a trick. However the dragon person is talking about laying the horse down which is done with ropes round the legs to force the terrified animal down. It`s the equine equivalent of `pinning` and is extremely cruel and traumatic for the horse. Proper trainers don`t do it.
but what can "pinning a horse down tell the horse, other than, you are about to die!! horses dont submit like dogs do?! please tell me you dont physically force your horses to lie down in order to become dominant to them?!!
good grief i thought the dog world was having a bad time with all the dominance BS!
Drago
New Member!
Male 

14-02-2011, 10:08 PM
No... but i'd really like to see him try an Alpha roll on a 180lb Timberwolf though....
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
No... but i'd really like to see him try an Alpha roll on a 180lb Timberwolf though....
i do remember he worked with wolf hybrids and was still choking and shushing them! dont think he rolled them though lol, would LOVE to see that!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Dawes Paws View Post
but what can "pinning a horse down tell the horse, other than, you are about to die!! horses dont submit like dogs do?! please tell me you dont physically force your horses to lie down in order to become dominant to them?!!
good grief i thought the dog world was having a bad time with all the dominance BS!
I really suspect dragonwoman is making it up. Believe me, even in America, with its frankly poor record of animal welfare, these ridiculous practices don`t happen unless you know very little about horses.
Page 18 of 32 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »