Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I eat meat, does that mean I am not a genuine animal lover,

Because I know when farm animals outlive their usefulness, they go for slaughter, should I not eat meat due to the farmer disregarding the sheep /cow that has served him well , then sends to market when its no longer earns its keep

I accept that animals mean different things to different people, some of us keep them as pets, and find the way others see their as abhorrent, how can some one disregard their beloved dog, because I could never do that !

Whether you like it or not, hounds are not pets, they are not seem as pets, they are part of a lifestyle , and do a job, when they can no longer do the job, they are recycled into the way of life.

Do I like the thought of them being disposed of , no ofcouse I don`t, so don`t go throwing the emotive "you can be a dog lover " around, because its just words, as far as I am concerned, and rather pathetic

I am not arrogant enough to think that everyone should see their animals as I do, for many its a living , a way of life, they do a job, they are treated well, and live full lives whilst they can.

Do I think better they should not be born...absolutely not

You only have to watch them working to see the fulfilled life they have, a better life than many many pet dogs to be honest.
I dont eat meat but even I can see theres a huge difference between using an animal to provide food and using one so certain people can fulfill their perverse hobby.

& tbh I dont see how anyone who supports fox hunting can call themselves an animal lover or a dog lover.

What about all those 12 to 18 month old hounds that didnt make the grade then? or the newborn puppies who had their heads smashed on the floor? did they have a fulfilled life?

Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Sorry I missed this post Lizzy x

[
QUOTE=Lizzy23;2629864]never said i agree with it,,,,,,,,,,,,, but its a fact, and you can spout all you want on this tiny part of the internet but it won't change a thing.
The more people that know about the abysmal treatment of the hounds the better imo.

I do work my dogs, not because of any sort of blood lust, but because my dogs enjoy it, and even though we do other things to keep them mentally and physically stimulated during the off season they are never quiet as satisfied as they are after working

You dont have to kill anything to work gundogs.

I take it you run your dogs in Harness? which is what they're bred for and they'll love it, same as the hounds will love running with the pack, and the gundogs love working to the gun, this is what they're born to do

Yes i do, but my hobby doesnt entail harming anything, & my one dog who hates running in harness is safe & loved.

Ive had 2 gundogs in my life, a springer, and a GSP. The springer was a working gundog but he was gunshy, if my Dad hadnt stepped in and offered him a home he like the hounds, would have been shot! he was 12 months old when we got him he lived to be 15, thank god my Dad gave him a chance of life.

Our GSP was never worked, she grew up with our children and lived a long and happy life almost making it to her 16th birthday.

I have a situation for you, i have a springer she has crocked legs, bad knees and hips, when this was first diagnosed the vet said the best thing i could do for her would be to give her long on lead walks, she lives to run, her life would have been miserable if i'd chosen that route, i chose to let her lead her life as a springer should, if by doing that she has a shorter life then so be it, she will have had a shorter life being fulfilled, not a long miserable life not being able to do what she was bred to do

really sorry about your dog.

So the comparison is the Fox hounds have done their job, they have lived for however many years they have had doing what they were bred to do, they are now in a situation where they can no longer work for whatever reason, the question is whats kinder?, confine them to kennels for the rest of their lifes, never getting to go out with the pack and getting frustrated because the rest are going out, or the alternative? and don't say rehome, have you ever tried to housetrain a dog thats spent years in a kennel, or get them used to things in the house, its a nigh on impossible job, now thats not to say that shooting them is the answer
[/QUOTE]

Of course im going to say Rehome lol

Yes i do happen to have had to housetrain a dog thats spent years in kennels, getting him use to things in the house! One of my dogs was imported from a kennel in France, he was 3 and a half when we got him, never lived in a house before...hes proof of the adaptabilty of dogs . How can people just write off thousands healthy young hounds? its beyond me .. ... http://foxhoundwelfareuk.jimdo.com/

this is him in france

shortly after we'd got him..

All settled in
[
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2012, 12:40 AM
I don't eat meat these days, but have no problem with people/dogs hunting for food. Fox hunting however is barbaric and unnecessary and to me the breeding of foxhounds for this kind of "sport hunting" then killing them when past their usefulness in the hunt is no better than the b******s who breed dogs for fighting.

Having grown up on a small holding I remember losing no more than the occasional chicken to foxes, but as they were fully free range (no fences or enclosures, even their roost, an old stone barn was fully open on one side) this was bound to happen and was not grudged. Our dogs (GSDs and Irish Setters) generally cried havoc if they heard any disturbance from the yard at night, were quickly let out to chase off the fox, and so this was good enough for us.

Neither we, nor other members of our extended family who were also landowners ever allowed the Hunt to cross our properties, and for that we were subjected to some of the most foul verbal abuse and physical intimidation. Every year without fail y parents had to call the police to move them on from blocking our gates and entrance-ways with the cars of their hangers-on, and every other year without fail some poor local's pet cat, or small furry was unfortunate enough to get caught up in the pack and suffer the consequences.

The biggest problem with foxes today is in urban areas, not the countryside. The reason being we as humans are filthy creatures who produce vast amounts of waste, subsequently attracting opportunistic creatures such as foxes, rats, pigeons and gulls (the last 2 in turn also attracting raptors to city areas) in greater and greater numbers as our own numbers continue to increase also. If we really want to control their rising population we need to clean up our own act. Stop wasting food, stop creating bigger and bigger landfills, and start taking responsibility for the impact we have on our environment and the multitude of ecosystems we are constantly upsetting or destroying.

As for the person who said filming the event was sick and cold meanwhile supporting the hunt...WTF? To me that's no better than be "pro-war" and believing that reportage journalism shining light on the human atrocities and war crimes is wrong. Maybe a harsh comparison, but I stand by it.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by Pep_Sounds View Post
I don't eat meat these days, but have no problem with people/dogs hunting for food. Fox hunting however is barbaric and unnecessary and to me the breeding of foxhounds for this kind of "sport hunting" then killing them when past their usefulness in the hunt is no better than the b******s who breed dogs for fighting.

Having grown up on a small holding I remember losing no more than the occasional chicken to foxes, but as they were fully free range (no fences or enclosures, even their roost, an old stone barn was fully open on one side) this was bound to happen and was not grudged. Our dogs (GSDs and Irish Setters) generally cried havoc if they heard any disturbance from the yard at night, were quickly let out to chase off the fox, and so this was good enough for us.

Neither we, nor other members of our extended family who were also landowners ever allowed the Hunt to cross our properties, and for that we were subjected to some of the most foul verbal abuse and physical intimidation. Every year without fail y parents had to call the police to move them on from blocking our gates and entrance-ways with the cars of their hangers-on, and every other year without fail some poor local's pet cat, or small furry was unfortunate enough to get caught up in the pack and suffer the consequences.

The biggest problem with foxes today is in urban areas, not the countryside. The reason being we as humans are filthy creatures who produce vast amounts of waste, subsequently attracting opportunistic creatures such as foxes, rats, pigeons and gulls (the last 2 in turn also attracting raptors to city areas) in greater and greater numbers as our own numbers continue to increase also. If we really want to control their rising population we need to clean up our own act. Stop wasting food, stop creating bigger and bigger landfills, and start taking responsibility for the impact we have on our environment and the multitude of ecosystems we are constantly upsetting or destroying.

As for the person who said filming the event was sick and cold meanwhile supporting the hunt...WTF? To me that's no better than be "pro-war" and believing that reportage journalism shining light on the human atrocities and war crimes is wrong. Maybe a harsh comparison, but I stand by it.
Great post!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Can I just say it's great to see people discussing highly emotive topics like this one without getting personal

We may not agree with each other but at least we have been courteous and civil, and that's how discussions should be. Anyway... back on topic.

Fantastic post Ash.

Must have been so frightening having to deal with people getting abusive, but good on you for standing by your principles and not allowing your land to be used for activities that go against your ethics.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 07:55 AM

Excellent post .
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2012, 08:59 AM

Excellent post! I couldnt agree more.

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
Sorry I missed this post Lizzy x

[

The more people that know about the abysmal treatment of the hounds the better imo.

You dont have to kill anything to work gundogs.

Yes i do, but my hobby doesnt entail harming anything, & my one dog who hates running in harness is safe & loved.

Ive had 2 gundogs in my life, a springer, and a GSP. The springer was a working gundog but he was gunshy, if my Dad hadnt stepped in and offered him a home he like the hounds, would have been shot! he was 12 months old when we got him he lived to be 15, thank god my Dad gave him a chance of life.

Our GSP was never worked, she grew up with our children and lived a long and happy life almost making it to her 16th birthday.

really sorry about your dog.
Of course im going to say Rehome lol

Yes i do happen to have had to housetrain a dog thats spent years in kennels, getting him use to things in the house! One of my dogs was imported from a kennel in France, he was 3 and a half when we got him, never lived in a house before...hes proof of the adaptabilty of dogs . How can people just write off thousands healthy young hounds? its beyond me .. ... http://foxhoundwelfareuk.jimdo.com/

this is him in france

shortly after we'd got him..

All settled in
[ [/QUOTE]

We had a 9 week old F1 wolfcross living in our house for a few weeks. He had only ever lived outside with his wolf mum in a den in their enclosure. Within 3 days he was housetrained. He slept with Tai in our bedroom, no problem.

If you can housetrain a wolf, then you can certainly housetrain a foxhound I would think!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 01:08 PM

EXCELLENT!!

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
yep they do me included, so i am coming from a little experience, but its not everyone has that sort of patience, not everyone likes Sxxt all over there house or a dog that needs valium to go in a car, or one that wets itself when it sees an ironing board, i could go on but won't because lets face it we're are talking about older dogs that have spent their lives in the country living in a pack of probably 30 or 40, a lot of the outside world is going to be terrifying
Lizzy: you haven't answered my point that rehomed foxhounds do not necessarily have to sleep and live inside. I for one would be thrilled to have a dog or dogs that would live outside!!

See my post about the young wolf who lived with us for a few weeks, between the age of 9 weeks and 16 weeks.
Page 18 of 21 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 >