Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
'Tis enshrined in our language.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e&ved=0CAYQkAE
Yes, I know the definition of "mongrel" in the dictionary..

My point was for generations a dog of dubious parentage has been referred to as a mongrel, with no negativity surrounding the use of the term.

For most of my childhood, and early adult hood, we had mongrels, it seems that now for some reason, people are using the term with a negativity , when in fact its just a description of a dog , not a term to insinuate inferiority...

Mongrel refers to mixed ancestry: * Among pets, one whose parentage is of unknown or mixed breeds as opposed to purebred. ** Dogs are also referred to as a mutt (see mixed-breed dog), or a mix of two varieties of plants, animals, viruses, etc. ...
When the word is used in conjunction with a dog, its not derogatory , when it is used in conjunction with humans, it them becomes something else.

*******: derogatory term for a variation that is not genuine; something irregular or inferior or of dubious origin; "the architecture was a kind ...
•cur
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
And you take a very well placed second.

People are entitled to disagree with you, you are entitled to disagree with them.. that what forums and debates are for... but you are not entitled to use innuendos to insult people.

There is no need for that kind of response, the ** dont hide what you mean, all the does matter is that people respect other people's opinions, they can disagree with them till the cows come home.. its not a case of one opinion mattering and all the rest dont.

So yes, you have let yourself down, by behaving like a spoilt child ,because no one is agreeing with you.
I'M NOT THE ONE BEHAVING LIKE A SPOILT CHILD. I AM INTERESTED IN WHAT PEOPLE THOUGHT THE ***** WERE MEANT TO SAY BECAUSE I NEVER CHOSE A WORD TO PUT IN THERE I JUST TYPED IN SOME STARS. I HAVEN'T LET MYSELF OR MY PRINCIPLES DOWN THANK YOU.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
I'M NOT THE ONE BEHAVING LIKE A SPOILT CHILD. I AM INTERESTED IN WHAT PEOPLE THOUGHT THE ***** WERE MEANT TO SAY BECAUSE I NEVER CHOSE A WORD TO PUT IN THERE I JUST TYPED IN SOME STARS. I HAVEN'T LET MYSELF OR MY PRINCIPLES DOWN THANK YOU.
Do you think maybe you should "agree to disagree" with folk with differing opinions? That way you dont get too annoyed - sometimes you have to accept the other person/s will never have the same opinions or agree with yours. You can go on to talk about different things and usually at the end of the day you find that you and the person / s with opposing views have things in common anyway - like a love for dogs - just a suggestion
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Do you think maybe you should "agree to disagree" with folk with differing opinions? That way you dont get too annoyed - sometimes you have to accept the other person/s will never have the same opinions or agree with yours. You can go on to talk about different things and usually at the end of the day you find that you and the person / s with opposing views have things in common anyway - like a love for dogs - just a suggestion
I have suggested that several times on here but so far no-one else has taken any notice. BTW I don't get stressed by things like this as life is too short and stress is a waste of energy which can be used more productively.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Come on now, lets be realistic shall we, one does not replace words or letters with stars unless one knows the word they intend to use is offensive.... if one was to just type in stars in a text without any meaning, others may get the idea the poster is empty headed

I have suggested that several times on here but so far no-one else has taken any notice. BTW I don't get stressed by things like this as life is too short and stress is a waste of energy which can be used more productively.

You are not doing a a very good job of not showing stress, in this an other threads.

I think you need to accept, that others have their own opinions, you may not like them, they may not agree with you, and they may even challenge you on yours, just a you may challenge others on theirs.

The big difference is, the adults in these threads can argue their case without resorting to insulting others , replacing words with ** `s.

It may help your blood pressure if you take that on board.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 05:19 PM
I just wanted to add a few words, they are all my own thoughts and have not been altered to go along with anything anyone else on here has said..I just wanted to add to the thread

Firstly...I am a breeder, I no longer breed but I did breed 3 litters after a 20 plus year apprenticeship in my chosen breed. The fact that I allowed a bitch that had been mated to have puppies makes me a breeder. If people stop me in the street with my dog and ask me if I am a breeder I answer "yes, but I don't breed at the moment"

Secondly, my dog Leon is a superb example of the breed, (in my humble opinion ), he has been placed at Crufts, his progeny has been placed at Crufts and, more importantly, he is a joy to own, as are the pups I bred, according to their owners However, although I think he is the bees knees, I don't consider him to be any better than someone elses dog just because he is a pedigree and has a show champion father and grandparents, and a Crufts best in show great grandmother....(it's a showing thing ) We meet all sorts whilst out walking and I would happily adopt any of them

I love all dogs but my circumstances now mean that I can only have one dog at a time, as I would dearly love the opportunity to get back to showing in the future I would need to buy a pup from a breeder in order for it to be KC registered so that I could show at KC events. However, if said pup/youngster didn't make the grade for showing it doesn't matter, just the luck of the draw really.

If I could have more than one dog then I would certainly have several rescue dogs too, and I wouldn't care what type they are, they would be loved unconditionally. I don't think that those of us that choose to have a breed rather than a mongrel/cross or whatever you like to call it are guilty of breed snobbery...most of us on here like all breeds but tend to stick with what we know and have come to love. I haven't seen anyone saying they would never have a non pedigree dog for any reasons than wanting to know what they will end up with/want to show/allergies etc., and, of course, the health check issues.

One question I do have for those of you that have the "doodles"...how do you know what it will turn out like? I only ask as every single one I have seen has been different to the next, especially in looks but alsoin temperament too...I've never met a nasty one but some bark at everything they encounter, some are shy, some are big, some are small, even litter mates seem to differ vastly. It's just those of us that choose a particular breed usually know what to expect size and temperament wise...I just wondered if there is a way of telling what you are getting when you buy a doodle
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I just wanted to add a few words, they are all my own thoughts and have not been altered to go along with anything anyone else on here has said..I just wanted to add to the thread

Firstly...I am a breeder, I no longer breed but I did breed 3 litters after a 20 plus year apprenticeship in my chosen breed. The fact that I allowed a bitch that had been mated to have puppies makes me a breeder. If people stop me in the street with my dog and ask me if I am a breeder I answer "yes, but I don't breed at the moment"

Secondly, my dog Leon is a superb example of the breed, (in my humble opinion ), he has been placed at Crufts, his progeny has been placed at Crufts and, more importantly, he is a joy to own, as are the pups I bred, according to their owners However, although I think he is the bees knees, I don't consider him to be any better than someone elses dog just because he is a pedigree and has a show champion father and grandparents, and a Crufts best in show great grandmother....(it's a showing thing ) We meet all sorts whilst out walking and I would happily adopt any of them

I love all dogs but my circumstances now mean that I can only have one dog at a time, as I would dearly love the opportunity to get back to showing in the future I would need to buy a pup from a breeder in order for it to be KC registered so that I could show at KC events. However, if said pup/youngster didn't make the grade for showing it doesn't matter, just the luck of the draw really.

If I could have more than one dog then I would certainly have several rescue dogs too, and I wouldn't care what type they are, they would be loved unconditionally. I don't think that those of us that choose to have a breed rather than a mongrel/cross or whatever you like to call it are guilty of breed snobbery...most of us on here like all breeds but tend to stick with what we know and have come to love. I haven't seen anyone saying they would never have a non pedigree dog for any reasons than wanting to know what they will end up with/want to show/allergies etc., and, of course, the health check issues.

One question I do have for those of you that have the "doodles"...how do you know what it will turn out like? I only ask as every single one I have seen has been different to the next, especially in looks but alsoin temperament too...I've never met a nasty one but some bark at everything they encounter, some are shy, some are big, some are small, even litter mates seem to differ vastly. It's just those of us that choose a particular breed usually know what to expect size and temperament wise...I just wondered if there is a way of telling what you are getting when you buy a doodle
Part of me was going to send you a message rather than feed the trolls who are out for my blood lol but I never was a wallflower so I will answer on here: You are right, as there is no way of a standard because the doodles are so varied it is difficult to know the adult outcome, but many doodle owners like that quirkiness of them. Having now met 100's of doodles at meets all over the country we have found that essentially they are very similar in nature and looks in the majority. Obviously, some are more Poodle-like; some are more like bearded Labs and others are mainly what I describe as woollybacks or scruffies; we as a family didn't want one that was really curly as then we might as well have got a Standard Poodle and we checked out many breeders, discounting one by one until we found one that we could see previous littermates that were older to see the "end result " so to speak. Ruby is everything we wanted from a doodle in looks and personality; Dyson is a bit giddier but then is still very immature. Many doodle owners like the "luckybag" scenario and wouldn't want the KC to register them as a breed even if they could because obviously the variety means there is no breed standard. We have never met a nasty natured doodle but that obviously doesn't mean there aren't any around (before someone jumps in). They are loveable, trustworthy, loyal, fantastic with all other animals, amazing with kids (we have 4 little grandchildren under 4) and they are brilliant with them, so to sum up: I love all types of dogs but am so glad we have doodles; we would recommend them to anyone who can give them the exercise they need and likes a quirky type of dog..I don't have anything against people who don't like them because it is down to personal choice, but it does seem that one doodle is never enough!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Lovely post Ally, you obviously love your dogs and are rightly proud of them.
The Doodles I have met have all been super dogs.
Have we seen any pics of yours, I would love to see them
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Part of me was going to send you a message rather than feed the trolls who are out for my blood lol but I never was a wallflower so I will answer on here: You are right, as there is no way of a standard because the doodles are so varied it is difficult to know the adult outcome, but many doodle owners like that quirkiness of them. Having now met 100's of doodles at meets all over the country we have found that essentially they are very similar in nature and looks in the majority. Obviously, some are more Poodle-like; some are more like bearded Labs and others are mainly what I describe as woollybacks or scruffies; we as a family didn't want one that was really curly as then we might as well have got a Standard Poodle and we checked out many breeders, discounting one by one until we found one that we could see previous littermates that were older to see the "end result " so to speak. Ruby is everything we wanted from a doodle in looks and personality; Dyson is a bit giddier but then is still very immature. Many doodle owners like the "luckybag" scenario and wouldn't want the KC to register them as a breed even if they could because obviously the variety means there is no breed standard. We have never met a nasty natured doodle but that obviously doesn't mean there aren't any around (before someone jumps in). They are loveable, trustworthy, loyal, fantastic with all other animals, amazing with kids (we have 4 little grandchildren under 4) and they are brilliant with them, so to sum up: I love all types of dogs but am so glad we have doodles; we would recommend them to anyone who can give them the exercise they need and likes a quirky type of dog..I don't have anything against people who don't like them because it is down to personal choice, but it does seem that one doodle is never enough!
Thanks for that certainly the ones I have met have been adorable and lovely natured, but I have met curly ones, scruffy ones and some that I could have sworn were full poodles.

I think, reading between the lines on these threads, that it isn't the dogs that people don't like, just those people that have bred the doodles simply to make a lot of money. But like anything in life, you pay for what you like and if they are what takes your fancy then why not?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Firstly there are no trolls on this thread, just members with different opinions.. a troll is someone who goes from site to site instigating arguments..

This thread has as many do on forums, changed direction from one thing to another , and will continue to do so .

But as the doddle is one of the topics raised , then you are going to get opinions on their purpose and breeding, from both sides.

One thing you need to understand, is that NO ONE is being negative about the dogs, there is no breed snobbery, (that always gets thrown in by those who own these crossbreeds )

I am glad you enjoy your dogs and are happy with the outcome of their breeding....but as you have appointed yourself as the voice of the doodle, perhaps you can answer some questions...

You say in one sentence, you like them because they are all different... because you dont know how they are going to look, this is the appeal of the dogs to those who buy them.

Yet next sentence you say , you wanted one that has a specific look... but cant guarantee what they will look like.

Which brings us on to your breeder,, you say you looked at the previous off springs, and they were uniform in looks.. so that says, your breeder has a breeding programme, how far down the crosses where your dogs, f1`s f2`s or 3`s ?

While looking for your breeder did you in your research , look for a breeder who health tested (for both breeds) her breeding stock... were your dogs parents health screened, what were the hip scores of the parents to your pups..what tests need to be done for SP?? were they done also.

Was it a priority to you, to buy from reputable breeders who health tested their breeding stock,,, or was it just a look you were after.

All these questions are relevant to your argument that doodles and their breeders are responsible.

Does the health of your dogs and their parents play a part in your love of these dogs.

If you cant give a yes to all the above, then maybe you may just see why so many have problems with the people who breed these dogs.........NOT the dogs , they are the innocent victims of indiscriminate breeding.

You are fighting a courner , but are you fighting a responsible courner or a profitably one.
Closed Thread
Page 18 of 50 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »