Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Ear cropping
like 12 8.51%
dislike 124 87.94%
dont care 0 0%
sitting on the fence 5 3.55%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 18 of 30 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
And I still don't understand how some people are pro-dock but anti-crop, surely it's the same thing, removing part of the dogs body unnecessarily. Please can someone explain this to me?

edit:

and I would really honestly like to know -
Tail's docked at 2-5 day's of age, suckle and back to mom, I don't know what age cropping is done but I'm assuming it's not very quick and does hurt one hell of a lot more than docking.
We still have legal docking here in the north of Ireland and when the ban comes I will be with the majority of breeder's I won't like it but I will still do it, and just as a matter of intrest Bilclaire does'nt get her pup's cropped the breeder does she can correct me if i'm wrong on that one.
But I'm all for getting bitches spayed to avoid unwanted pregnancies, and dog's castrated to avoid unwanted pregnacies, I agree it is life saving treatment for the hundred's of un-wanted pup's saved being born each year.

http://www.puppys-place.com/ear_cropping.html
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks zb
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I don't agree that they don't suffer a lifetime of pain. My Boxer constantly worried his tail stump and the scaring from his dew claw removal was awful, they were a good 2 inches long as an adult. Remember dogs are far more reluctant to show pain than we are so they are probably in considerably more pain than we will ever know. Just because they don't show it doesn't mean they aren't.
Becky
Tails / ears are treated with pain killers and antiseptic to stop any infection and to ease discomfort for the first couple of days, you are also provided with ether to clean and numb the ears after cropping, I have cleaned and change the dressings of cropped ears and the puppys don't struggle or cry as if they are in pain, dew claws are treated with antiseptic to stop infection no pain killers are provided or I should say where never provided.

Edited to reply to Zoebeau1
Tails are generally done around the 3rd day a lot of puppys will carry on suckling whilst they are being done and I have never heard a puppy cry whilst being done, dew claws are done at the same time as tails and puppys scream in pain and are obviously distressed, cropping is usually done at 8 weeks but up to 12 weeks and is done under general anesthetic.

Mo and the Gang
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2008, 09:21 PM
As I said, dogs don't always show pain.
Becky
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
Thanks zb

Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Bilclarie View Post
I would say only the breeders / vets would hear them as they are done before purchase, have you heard a female / male after it has been spayed / castrated?

Mo and the Gang
I have as it goes.
With most of my dogs being deaf, vets have been more than happy for me to be with them ready for them waking up.
None of mine have cried, however thats because of the GA type, mine have the slightly more expensive version which includes a jab to help them wake up quickly without the disorientation and gasses which is what most GA wake-up howls are caused by.
Mine have been awake and standing after about ten minutes, and no signs of pain because of meds given while under GA.
Only one had to have extra rest, [ 24 hour crate rest ], - because she had pyometra...
She had immediate post-op bleeding because of the extent of how bad her insides were and had to wear a pressure bandage for the 24 hours after her op - rather less than the weeks of bandages and splints an ear mutilated puppy has to endure...
And in her case it saved her life, something an ear crop can never lay claim to being done for...

Pro crop and dockers always seem to bring completely unrelated ops into it, the fact is that neuter saves lives one way or another, be it protecting the individual dogs health status or preventing unwanted pups from being born only to be culled as surplus to requirement or because no rescue space is available.

Trying to use something which is life saving, [ which neuter is ], as an argument for mutilating a dog for appearance sake has never got pro-dock and crop`ers anywhere in the past, nor will it now, they are not comparable by any stretch of the imagination.
Neuter being brought in to a discussion about mutilating for aesthetics is just the usual, [ failed ], tactic used to try to deflect from something unnecessary, insidious and cruel.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Tails / ears are treated with pain killers and antiseptic to stop any infection and to ease discomfort for the first couple of days, you are also provided with ether to clean and numb the ears after cropping, I have cleaned and change the dressings of cropped ears and the puppys don't struggle or cry as if they are in pain, dew claws are treated with antiseptic to stop infection no pain killers are provided or I should say where never provided.

Edited to reply to Zoebeau1
Tails are generally done around the 3rd day a lot of puppys will carry on suckling whilst they are being done and I have never heard a puppy cry whilst being done, dew claws are done at the same time as tails and puppys scream in pain and are obviously distressed, cropping is usually done at 8 weeks but up to 12 weeks and is done under general anesthetic.

Mo and the Gang
I said 2-5 day's depending on which way they are done, I'm def for the cutting over the banding, and will alway's argue it is the less painfull way but, I'm not stupid as both way's hurt and will continue to hurt for god only know's how long I' have never had it done to myself.!
Just because cropping is done under anesthetic doesn't mean it still doesn't hurt the it don't hurt arguement won't wash here because any cutting,or banding or operation to cut a bit here cut a bit there hurt's have you ever had a operation and can honestly sit there and say it don't hurt.

I will now watch this thread with intrest as I don't wish to loose my temper and shout at another member as we are all entiltled to our opinion's.
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I have as it goes.
With most of my dogs being deaf, vets have been more than happy for me to be with them ready for them waking up.
None of mine have cried, however thats because of the GA type, mine have the slightly more expensive version which includes a jab to help them wake up quickly without the disorientation and gasses which is what most GA wake-up howls are caused by.
Mine have been awake and standing after about ten minutes, and no signs of pain because of meds given while under GA.
Only one had to have extra rest, [ 24 hour crate rest ], - because she had pyometra...
She had immediate post-op bleeding because of the extent of how bad her insides were and had to wear a pressure bandage for the 24 hours after her op - rather less than the weeks of bandages and splints an ear mutilated puppy has to endure...
And in her case it saved her life, something an ear crop can never lay claim to being done for...

Pro crop and dockers always seem to bring completely unrelated ops into it, the fact is that neuter saves lives one way or another, be it protecting the individual dogs health status or preventing unwanted pups from being born only to be culled as surplus to requirement or because no rescue space is available.

Trying to use something which is life saving, [ which neuter is ], as an argument for mutilating a dog for appearance sake has never got pro-dock and crop`ers anywhere in the past, nor will it now, they are not comparable by any stretch of the imagination.
Neuter being brought in to a discussion about mutilating for aesthetics is just the usual, [ failed ], tactic used to try to deflect from something unnecessary, insidious and cruel.

No I think thats a get out clause saying that us pro cropper/dockers bring up other op's the fact of the matter is as I said in an earlier post that like ear cropping, most spaying and castrations are an unnessesary operation so they fall into the same category, whether you or anyone else aggress or not, if there is nothing medically wrong with a dog theres no need to neuter, and if owners where more responsable with there dogs there wouldn't be litter after litter born by joe bloggs up the road!!! I have 2 intact females here and 1 spayed female she was spayed because she NEEDED to be spayed not because it was inconvenient to have her intact but because she had a problem, I have also said that I don't crop ears I wouldn't crop ears, but I am happy to buy a cropped puppy/dog until I can no longer buy one because thats what I prefer, it's called having a choice.

Mo and the Gang
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2008, 08:10 AM
I don't agree that they don't suffer a lifetime of pain. My Boxer constantly worried his tail stump and the scaring from his dew claw removal was awful, they were a good 2 inches long as an adult. Remember dogs are far more reluctant to show pain than we are so they are probably in considerably more pain than we will ever know. Just because they don't show it doesn't mean they aren't.
Becky
There is no doubt that butchering docks have been done by people who dont have a clue what they are doing..the few people I know of , who have got Boxers with troublesome tails have bought from BYB..(and most are in the US )

In all the Boxers I know, have known, friends , family, I dont know one who suffers from tail or dew claw damage.. and they certainly dont suffer a life time if pain .

I agree, their are a few who have been done so badly, they do suffer...bu they are not the majority.

So generalising the whole of the docked dog population with life long pain, is a bit over the top.

IRemember dogs are far more reluctant to show pain than we are so they are probably in considerably more pain than we will ever know. Just because they don't show it doesn't mean they aren't.
And it does not mean they are either.

If a dog is in such considerable pain, you will see signs of it... not eating/ depression/ lethargy

I have as it goes.
You have witnessed a puppy coming round from a cropping op.....where was that, it could`nt have been in the UK.

fact is that neuter saves lives one way or another,
Again another huge sweeping statement.

How can you possible know that by neutering a dog, it would/may have suffered with any of the life threatening illnesses.

Surely by that standing ..every dog that has not been neutered is going to die from any of the related illnesses.

The only sure thing that neutering will do is prevent pups.

You cant possibly speculate on whether a dog will or will not suffer a life threatening condition...if it is not neutered.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

01-04-2008, 08:27 AM
if there is nothing medically wrong with a dog theres no need to neuter, and if owners where more responsable with there dogs there wouldn't be litter after litter born by joe bloggs up the road!!! I have 2 intact females here and 1 spayed female she was spayed because she NEEDED to be spayed not because it was inconvenient to have her intact but because she had a problem,
Mo and the Gang
So do you disagreed with speying a none breeding bitch until they develop pyometra?
Page 18 of 30 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »