Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I agree Random - if it was bucketing down and I could take them out later then I would wait. But to never walk a dog in the rain because the dog doesn't like it seems silly to me

I also agree about the dogs not dictating when they get walked. If my dogs are pestering me to go out I don't take them right then. I wait until they are calm and collected before we go out

If you could get my Florriedog to walk in the rain I would pay you hansomly, as i've been trying for nearly four years and obviously doing something wrong.
You have to DRAG her on the lead and as soon as you let her off she heads straight back up the track (we always go the same route from home to the fields) and runs home, taking risks of roads etc in her stride.
So no its not ridiculous in my eyes, a dog with a genuine dislike/fear of something shouldn't be FORCED to do it in my opinion
My ESS didnt like showing, i didn't force him in the ring. And he grew to be sound phobic, destroying all his gundog training-and i didn't force him to work. So i'm not going to force a wee terrier whos scared of/dislikes going out in the rain to do so either
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Just shows how different we all are really. My dogs do miss out on walks sometimes due to my unavoidable issues. However I would never delay or give up on a walk no matter what the weather was doing. We walk in any weather and the dogs never seem to notice, just as how missing out on walks sometimes doesn't bother them either. Always the same, always game, they take life as it comes.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I just wait til it stops or slows down and then go, makes no diff to me, i'm not going to take them out if they aren't going to enjoy it. I'm talking full on downpour here not drizzle
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
- if it was bucketing down and I could take them out later then I would wait.

Originally Posted by Luke View Post
If you could get my Florriedog to walk in the rain I would pay you hansomly, as i've been trying for nearly four years and obviously doing something wrong.
You have to DRAG her on the lead and as soon as you let her off she heads straight back up the track (we always go the same route from home to the fields) and runs home, taking risks of roads etc in her stride.
So no its not ridiculous in my eyes, a dog with a genuine dislike/fear of something shouldn't be FORCED to do it in my opinion
A lot of sound sense here.

You try getting 2 min schnauzers (and - I am fast discovering, a whippet) out in the rain! It just isn't going to happen.

Anyway, we just wait until it is not so heavy and then we all happily go out!
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2008, 09:21 AM
My ESS didnt like showing, i didn't force him in the ring. And he grew to be sound phobic, destroying all his gundog training-and i didn't force him to work. So i'm not going to force a wee terrier whos scared of/dislikes going out in the rain to do so either
I totally agree with you, unfortunately though its only me who doesn't like the rain my dogs are happy to go for a walk even if its torrential !
Daysleeper40
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2008, 10:07 AM
As with most things in life this is a difficult question to answer definitively.

Obviously circumstances come into play including health / stability / personality / breed... the list goes on and on. HOWEVER, assuming we are talking about a healthy, stable pup then yes, I do think it would be cruel to get one with the specific intention of never walking them.

Once you have the dog then you can start to talk about circumstances and what is going to work best for that specific animal.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2008, 11:21 AM
When we first got Bryan he hated the rain - not surprising as he had been living in the streets when he was found at 9 months old. But what I did was not force him, but encourage him with positive reinforcement and regular walks in the rain.

I started out with short walks, literally 10 minutes, giving lots of praise and treats. Then just built i tup from there. We got him last summer when it was raining literallly every day. So he had to go out in the rain even for poos and wees.

Now, he doesn't mind so much. I can let him off the lead and he doesn't bolt for home.

If you were closer I'd let you pay e handsomely to get your Florriedog out in the rain
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
You aren't the only person with strong feelings about what's responsible and what isn't. No matter what you do someone somewhere will think you aren't a fit person to own a dog.

Hades, do you worry that some people might think that as your only exercise is walking you aren't really fit enough to give your dog a full and active life? I'm sure you don't. And nor should you. You know your dog and you know whether or not it's happy, fit and healthy enough.

GSD-Sue knows her own dog better than anyone and I'm sure if she ever sees signs that it's not thriving she'll find a way to rectify the problem. Until that happens she should just enjoy her dog and concentrate on getting well.

No matter what we do others will critisise. We have a choice - we either take to heart peoples critisisms and give up our dogs or we do as you just did and say "I don't think that's valid" and carry on doing what you believe to be best (or even good enough in hard times) for your dog.

For what it's worth, I know a lady that breeds Beagles (Beagles are EXTREMELY active dogs - mine goes nuts if she doesn't get running for hours in the park with other dogs every day). This lady has a 3/4 acre garden and doesn't actually walk the dogs that often. They are without a doubt contented, happy and healthy dogs. She just lost two little brothers that she bred herself - they were aged 17. She has never had a dog that's lived for less than 15 years. When I see all the different ways in which people manage to raise happy, healthy dogs it makes me realise that it's a little foolish to form rigid ideas about what's best for a dog.
If you had read one of my earlier posts you would of read that I said....Through health issues...disability....deaths or any other uncontrollable situation if a dog cant be walked then that is out of anyones hands!
I know life, and somethings happen know one can change and that cant be helped!

BUT...what I did say was for some one to go out of there way to buy a pup or dog that would need to be socialized and walked etc but that person has NO intention of ever taking the dog out to be walked, to meet other dogs etc that to ME is wrong!
IF YOU JUST CANT BE ARSED OR DONT WANT TO TAKE YOUR DOG OUT DONT GET ONE!!!!
If its raining or snowing not taking your dog out as much, is not what Im talking about either!
Im talking about getting a dog with NO intention of ever taking the poor thing out...THAT IS WRONG! (Big garden or not!)
Everyone is different and thats fine...but this is my honest opinion.

Also walking is not my only exercise...I work...walk the dog....kick box...take my little cousins swimming weekly etc
I dont run or weight train though!
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2008, 01:26 PM
I take mine for a run so they let of steam but sometimes only Jo will go as Hector just isnt interested. At least i give him the option. Some poor dogs, as said in previos threads dont get a choice and cant get out and about =(
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Personally, I think that if you aren't willing to walk your dog, you should probably get a cat!

One of my neighbours has a Yorkie that is out in the garden going yap yap yap all sodding day, sometimes from 7am. She is the same age as Loki and when he was about a year old she told me (rather proudly) that her dog was going on her first walk soon! Their old Yorkie NEVER went out. Apparently she didn't like walks, so they didn't have to take her.

Walking a dog is all part and parcel of having a dog. That's like saying you're getting a car but you won't drive it.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2008, 02:22 PM
I keep seeing posters say get a cat - just curious why is keeping a cat in doors less cruel in your minds than having a dog ?
Page 17 of 23 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »