Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
yes, provided the scissors or clippers don't slip !
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 12:09 PM
hi patch - pardon the pun, but your theory about clipping to aid bouyancy in water does'nt hold up, hair traps air when the dog goes into water , look at newfies , i hope nobody goes and clips them !!
Yes so the hair left around the chest and joint will keep the dog warm whilst the clipped areas leave the dog free to swim. Newfies were bred for a completely different job in a very cold climate.
Becky
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 12:17 PM
www.geocities.com/boxerinformation/Tails.html

follow link to case for docking and read.
im for freedom of choose and if all the breeders for docking gave up breeding there chosen breed,as nelsons mom said she would and i would and im sure allot more breeders would,then what a waste of knowlegde,
if the kc refused to register,all byb and puppy farmed pups theyd be doing us a greater deed,but that would mean theyd loose money,and would they do it.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 12:22 PM
I doubt very much that the KC would lose money. People go in and out of breeds all the time, and there could be a new generation of breeders who were just waiting for the playing field to be levelled so they could show the breed they want undocked without worrying that docked ones would be put above them.
Becky
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 12:33 PM
hi patch - pardon the pun, but your theory about clipping to aid bouyancy in water does'nt hold up, hair traps air when the dog goes into water , look at newfies , i hope nobody goes and clips them !!
Newfs have a water resistant double coat so are ideal for water work as they are, plus strength to size is better proportioned for sheer power in the water than Poodles, [ partly due to Newfs having webbed paws which gives them more ooomph, as do some other breeds used for water work ], which is why Newfs are great for towing in the water for instance, [ power / strength ], rather than Poodles which are lighter built and needed more speed in the water relating to their past `job`.

From a Poodle FAQ which confirms coat clip reasoning :

"The poodle haircut originated from the poodle's working days as a water retriever. The practice of clipping the coat began in an effort to ease movement through water. The mane coat actually protects the dog and gives it buoyancy while the hair was shaved off the rear portion of the dog to allow it to swim more freely."

Which is basically what I said The `mane` as with the other `pom-pom` type areas ie over the hips and on legs providing warmth to joints and bouyancy in water, non-joint areas clipped or shaved for ease of movement.

Apparently the tail pom, [ before you say its not protecting a joint ], was to make the dog more easily visible when in water but a Poodle person would be able to say if thats fact or urban myth
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I doubt very much that the KC would lose money. People go in and out of breeds all the time, and there could be a new generation of breeders who were just waiting for the playing field to be levelled so they could show the breed they want undocked without worrying that docked ones would be put above them.
Becky
there has never been any mandatory rule that says a traditionally docked breed must be docked, judges judge each dog on it's merits, whether it's docked or not. i've seen many rotties in the ring with tails over the past 2 years !
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Just because the KC allowed it doesn't mean the playing field is level. It is only in the last few years that undocked dogs have started doing well. Now they will do brilliantly
Becky
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2007, 12:59 PM
there has never been any mandatory rule that says a traditionally docked breed must be docked, judges judge each dog on it's merits, whether it's docked or not. i've seen many rotties in the ring with tails over the past 2 years !
It's only recently that the KC have included in their breed standards what a tail on a traditionally docked breed should look like when left on. How were judges supposed to be able to decide what was a correct or incorrect tail carriage when it was never included? All it ever said before was "traditionally docked" and maybe something about the length of dock. So although no madatory ruling re: having to dock, there was also nothing to tell the judge what was correct if the tail was left on.

Debs
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
im for freedom of choose
Humans may have given themselves the `right` to choose how to alter the physical construction of a dog but thats a right borne only of human arrogance and ego as a species. Giving humans opposable thumbs was a big evolutionary mistake by `ol Mother Nature :smt021

I believe in the dogs right to `choose`. When a litter of puppies chew off their own tails and drop them at my feet to put in the bin because they dont want them I`ll support their decision

and if all the breeders for docking gave up breeding there chosen breed,as nelsons mom said she would
I thought NM said she would stop Show`ing at any KC events through the mistaken belief that the KC are refusing to allow docked dogs to be Shown at paying public events when its actually the law which they must [ rightly ] comply with ? If she said she would stop breeding I missed it.

and i would and im sure allot more breeders would,then what a waste of knowlegde,
Not really :smt102
There are more than enough breeders with the needed knowledge to go around who will carry on because they love their prefered breeds for their characters without a few who might drop out because they put whats missing as more important than the rest of the dog - and less dogs in rescues [ more people might go to Breed rescues ], if there is a lower numeric supply of puppies if less are breeding because of the ban, so thats not a bad thing at all.

Anyone putting the missing bit as their main priority isnt suited to having dogs imo, [ might sound harsh to some but thats the way I see it ].

I did have a Dobe btw, a girl I rescued from a beating in the street.
She was docked.
I did not, however, consider the fact that she only had a stump to be a reason to leave her to her fate, she was in trouble and needed help so I helped her, nor did I love her any less because she had a bit missing.
If someone as staunchly anti-docking as I am can absolutely dote on a dog which had been docked regardless of that aspect, why can`t pro-dockers feel the same love for their potential future dogs with tails ?

if the kc refused to register,all byb and puppy farmed pups theyd be doing us a greater deed,but that would mean theyd loose money,and would they do it.
I dont understand the thinking that one issue is greater than another. Every aspect of animal care / breeding / whatever, carries equal importance as far as I`m concerned.
I genuinely dont understand why people say or infer that because one thing is allowed when it should`nt be that something else should be allowed because its a lesser thing in some peoples eyes [ pro-dockers in this instance ].

I assume you disagree with puppy farming and want it stopped ?
Puppy farmers would argue that its their `right` to choose to breed left right and centre....
Should they have that right in your opinion...?
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2007, 02:25 PM
absolutely not, the club i'm a member of states quite clealy that no bitch should be mated before 2 years old, and not mated again until 18 months have passed after giving birth to her last litter .

oops !! so sorry, wrong thread, a thousand appologies.
Page 17 of 30 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »