View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I think with the bobtails you have to prove that they were born with no tails, from photos at birth and certificates, although I'm not sure, and I think that it would be easy to send photos of the same litter saying that they are different ones to, aslong as you have the same amount of pups in that litter that is.

I am for docking for working dogs, not working breeds that aren't going to be worked but proper working dogs, I just don't see the need for it in pet homes, but hey its up to the dogs owner what they want to do with their dogs, well it would be if there wasn't a law
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Paddipaws View Post
The Boxer people were at the forefront of the fight to retain the right to dock tails so obviously they would still want to buy them docked. I feel the same with Bobtails.
Rubbish!!!!!!!

The Boxer people you mention who fought the fight , will have been mostly show people, and as showing is their business as well as pleasure, it would rather scupper their lot dont you think if they still docked their pups... as they could not show them!!!!!!!

Those who you will see with docked Boxers along with other traditionally docked breeds will more than likely be "pet owners" ones who are not involved in the world of breeding/showing, and are blinded to the fact docking is illegal.

Anyone docking tails now , (other than working dogs|) will be either BYB , or pet breeders, and they will invariably be doing it themselves or know a man how can,

Other than bringng a pup from Ireland or buying a Bobtail, you should not se any Boxers docked.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Stevel View Post
After my experiences with undocked springers I would seriously have to consider whether I would have to give up working them if the ban on docking was extended to them.

I don't think it fair to put a dog through so much pain. So yes, I would have to consider giving up my breeds.

Steve
I agree with Steve, I always wanted a weim I could work and show, Maddy was unsuitable for work (too nervy) but now I couldn't do both because I wouldn't risk working an undocked dog, I too have had pals who's dogs have split their tails whilst working, that have taken absolutely MONTHS to heal (if not amputated anyway). The tail doesn't bother me from a pet owners point of view (although I do prefer rotties without them, weim tails I think suit them better than rotties tails but at the end of the day, it's the same dog with or without) but it dissapoints me now that I couldn't do working AND showing with any future weims and I feel the ban on working dogs will only deepen the difference between working and show strains and that is never good IMO. So far working weims and show weims are often the same dog, so time will tell what happenes in such breeds.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2009, 07:18 PM
I never thought about showing and working dogs, that is a shame, as I prefer dual purpose dogs maybe the kennel club should make specail allowences for working dogs who go into the show ring, but of course there would have to be some sort of proof. As if you can find a way of getting a Wiem docked it would be a shame if you can't also show.
Paddipaws
New Member!
Female 

23-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Rubbish!!!!!!!

The Boxer people you mention who fought the fight , will have been mostly show people, and as showing is their business as well as pleasure, it would rather scupper their lot dont you think if they still docked their pups... as they could not show them!!!!!!!

Those who you will see with docked Boxers along with other traditionally docked breeds will more than likely be "pet owners" ones who are not involved in the world of breeding/showing, and are blinded to the fact docking is illegal.

Anyone docking tails now , (other than working dogs|) will be either BYB , or pet breeders, and they will invariably be doing it themselves or know a man how can,

Other than bringng a pup from Ireland or buying a Bobtail, you should not se any Boxers docked.
Show people will still want to own a docked dog if possible, even as a pet.
You are getting your Bobtails and bobtailed dogs mixed up. Bobtails is one of the alternative names for an OES - which I have. A bobtailed dog is a dog born with no, or a short, tail.
To prove a pup is born without a tail - and it does happen - is easy. Every decent breeder has a vet check over the litter so it can be documented at that time.

Most puppy farmers and BYB never docked in the past - that was where the tailed dogs came from in my breed. Why waste profit on docking expensesd when someone womewhere will buy a dog with a tail. Most of the oes that went into rescue, and were supported by the show people with their fundraising, were from VYB and puppy farms.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2009, 09:05 PM
You are getting your Bobtails and bobtailed dogs mixed up. Bobtails is one of the alternative names for an OES - which I have. A bobtailed dog is a dog born with no, or a short, tail.
To prove a pup is born without a tail - and it does happen - is easy. Every decent breeder has a vet check over the litter so it can be documented at that time.

Most puppy farmers and BYB never docked in the past - that was where the tailed dogs came from in my breed. Why waste profit on docking expensesd when someone womewhere will buy a dog with a tail. Most of the oes that went into rescue, and were supported by the show people with their fundraising, were from VYB and puppy farms.
I think you will find Jackbox has not got her bobtails mixed up, you can get bobtail boxers... I think you will find when it comes to boxers jackbox knows her stuff
http://www.boxerunderground.com/feb_bu_99/bobtail.htm
Paddipaws
New Member!
Female 

23-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think you will find Jackbox has not got her bobtails mixed up, you can get bobtail boxers... I think you will find when it comes to boxers jackbox knows her stuff
http://www.boxerunderground.com/feb_bu_99/bobtail.htm
Sorry, I should have just quoted Jackbox's last line of the post where she showed the word bobtail as having a capital B thus making it another breed (OES).

I'll get used to using the quote button soon!!!

Elaine
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Not getting anything mixed up at all . I said Bobtail... as in a dog born with a BOBTAIL!!

I Take it you can speak for all the Boxer show folk can you.... just a point, why would someone who shows their dogs want to buy something they cant show... as for wanting a pet, they already have them , in their show dogs.....

I suggest you take a look at Bruce Cattanach/Steynmere Boxers for an explanation on the Bobtail Boxer.

[To prove a pup is born without a tail - and it does happen - is easy. Every decent breeder has a vet check over the litter so it can be documented at that time.
Exactly, which is what breeders of Bobtail (s) do,

[Most puppy farmers and BYB never docked in the past - that was where the tailed dogs came from in my breed. Why waste profit on docking expensesd when someone womewhere will buy a dog with a tail. Most of the oes that went into rescue, and were supported by the show people with their fundraising, were from VYB and puppy farms.
Who funded the byb , show people

I beg to differ, many byb did dock , the difference is they would do it themselves, so no profit wasted there...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Sorry, I should have just quoted Jackbox's last line of the post where she showed the word bobtail as having a capital B thus making it another breed (OES).

I'll get used to using the quote button soon!!!

Elaine
Nope, talking about the Bobtail Boxer....
Paddipaws
New Member!
Female 

23-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Nope, talking about the Bobtail Boxer....

It's your choice if you choose to give new names to Boxers - a 'Bobtailed Boxer' is not a recognised breed is it?

After over 30 years in dogs I know that a Bobtail is the name of an Old English Sheepdog. As for docking like you I know a lot as I've worked with breed clubs, breed councils and the CDB to retain the right of choice when it comes to docking. Hopefully one day we will get that choice back.

Show dogs are pets as well but still, those who like docked dogs still import them as pets. Not every dog is purchased for the show ring.

Elaine
Page 17 of 23 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »