Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I know there are cruel people in all walks of life, but this thread is about this sport, and the macho type that frequent it.

It seems to draw them like flies round a honey pot .

But as per say , you don't disappoint and have to have a dig at the show world......
I didn't realise you had been to so many schutzhund training sessions or so many trials.

Or knew so many people who do these sports.

I have known several and they have been very mixed in their methods---very like other sports.

Then again, if you don't,----why disappoint by not having a dig at the sports?

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I didn't realise you had been to so many schutzhund training sessions or so many trials.

Or knew so many people who do these sports.

I have known several and they have been very mixed in their methods---very like other sports.

Then again, if you don't,----why disappoint by not having a dig at the sports?

rune
Because the video IS about the sport, I did not pluck it out of thin air

Nope i have not been to any training, but that does not stop me forming an opinion on what I see around the net, OR the type of Bloke I do KNOW who are involved in these sports ..........

After all that's what we all do, form opinions on what we see, hear and know.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Is it not that competition brings out the worst in some people? I`ve even seen dogs being yanked about at fun shows!
If only animal welfare issues were handled by the police instead of a `Helpline` .......
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Is it not that competition brings out the worst in some people? I`ve even seen dogs being yanked about at fun shows!
If only animal welfare issues were handled by the police instead of a `Helpline` .......
How many dogs at fun shows do you see, being beaten with sticks, or being lifted off their feet by their collar, till it choke so they will release an object in its mouth.

If this is what is called training to get a dog to do ,A,B,C then I am sorry, I cant understand how anyone can use a comparison of a numpty pet owner or someone strutting round the show ring, to someone who is supposedly a professional, knowingly abusing dogs, to support their argument.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
How many dogs at fun shows do you see, being beaten with sticks, or being lifted off their feet by their collar, till it choke so they will release an object in its mouth.

If this is what is called training to get a dog to do ,A,B,C then I am sorry, I cant understand how anyone can use a comparison of a numpty pet owner or someone strutting round the show ring, to someone who is supposedly a professional, knowingly abusing dogs, to support their argument.
Every year I see people supposedly at the top of their game in a different sport dragging dogs around a ring with a cheeswire behind their ears and picking up small dogs by their lead and tail. I have seen people training for this sport by making tiny puppies balance on really really small blocks so they can slide their feet into the correct position. I have seen dogs at the biggest event for this sport being terrified to be in the ring but still forced to be there for the ego of the owners
I have seen dogs created with no other purpose but to win ribbons for their owners with no concern for their quality of life - with legs so short that their penis rubs along the ground while they walk

I am sure if you look hard enough at something you dont like anyone can find supposed cruelty
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2012, 10:23 AM
I was at Crufts this year and watched plenty people lift their dogs off their feet by the collar.......

Ironically enough the best example of decent training was the gundog displays!
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Oh my word.

Jackbox, you seem to have this macho obsession.....(and also seem a tad obsessed by penis size if I may add )

Did you watch my video....did I look macho in that? Being a slightly overweight woman wearing a pink coat and woolly hat?

If we want to go in for some wild sweeping statements....You have a breed that has been traditionally docked (and cropped) to look 'hard'. Are your dogs docked? I just wonder if you have docked dogs because you like to look macho because in my experience anyone who owns a breed like that does so because they want their dog to intimidate. I also once saw a youtube clip of a boxer wearing an ecollar. Why do you want to have a breed that has had part of it's anatomy chopped off to look mean and then put an ecollar on it??
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I really must go and inform my macho man that he is ruining his image with silly wee spaniels!
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I really must go and inform my macho man that he is ruining his image with silly wee spaniels!
That's easier then my job. I need to go and buy a very small penis apparently. I had a quick look online but they only seem to sell big ones.
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Jackbox's logic could be applied to staffies (and would make as much sense). There is no denying that some people might do Sch to be macho and some might use e colllars....just as there is no denying that some people get staffies to be macho and some are involved in dog fighting.

But would you accuse everyone who has a staffie of doing so to be macho and of most probably being involved in dog fighting?

If someone tells you that they do Sch because their dog enjoys it and because it's a challenging sport to teach then why not accept that? Same as if someone told me they had staffies because they liked them and found them cuddly and playful, I wouldn't tell them that because SOME people buy them to be macho then they MUST also only like them for that too.

The bad people in the sport don't make the sport...same as the bad owners of staffies don't set the benchmark for staffie owners.
Page 17 of 20 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 >