Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Mmmm, so if a teacher is dominant in the classroom because the teacher is the leader of the group, what does that teacher become when they themselves go on a course and become the student?

This is why I have a problem with 'dominant' labelling. The same applies to dogs, in some situations they are the leader, in others the follower. In some situations confident, in some insecure.

In a particular group, it may seem obvious who does what - until, that is, an unknown factor is introduced (another dog, a different person etc)
My view exactly
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
This is a v interesting thread

Tass, can I ask what you would like the term dominance to mean?

I was just thinking of other places we use the word dominance and how we could or could not use that in dog behaviour terms

Like dominant gene - if its there it is the one that takes over
Dominant hand - the one you use for preference for tasks like writing

Personaly I would prefer to not use the term at all because of what it brings to most peoples minds
But is there a definition we can agree on?

Like Im happy to say a person is dominating a conversation - so possibly could say a dog is dominating a situation - but I would never say the person IS dominant - so I would never say a dog is dominant
if that makes sense
Hi Ben,
I don't think you can look at dominance without looking at submission/deference and hierarchy as they are intrinsically interlinked.

As you rightly state imo, dominance is a function of behaviour, not of being.

However some individuals dominant situations and other individuals much more frequently than others, so I think peopel sometimes, wrongly, "shorthand" it by referring to such an individual as "dominant", rather than restricting that description to their behaviour (i.e a response to a stimulus), at certain times, under certain circumstances.

The best I can come up with as a definition atm, off the cuff so to speak, and I am sure it won't be perfect, is what I posted before which also saves me doing much retyping of it )?

It means each individual uses what it has (i.e. it's influence/ability to control outcome/dominance by various strategies), including learning, charm, manipulation etc , to its best advantage to reach its position of greatest comfort (be that psychological and/or physical), which inevitably includes reaching an agreement ("consensus") whereby it is in least conflict with other individuals in its environment.

Dominance theory and hierarchy accounts then for all the procedures involved in getting to that point (experience, personality, learning, association etc, etc) in one neat, simple explanation.

"Dominant" to me simply means most influential.

Even in genes you can have degrees of dominance with co dominant genes and some genes being masked if others are present, but dominant if they are not.

Even recessive genes can "dominant" when in pairs, much like the difference between basic rank and dependent rank with dogs etc.

Some tasks can only be performed by the dominant hand with help from the other hand, such as clapping and hand washing.

When the dominant hand is busy with something else the less dominant hand can be delegated other jobs e.g write/type with your right, while eating with your left .

If the dominant hand is incapacited the less dominant may well fill the breach.

So even when we apply the term in other vastly different fields many of the variables still apply in the same way as when correctly applying it (as I see it) to dog behaviour, i.e. in the simple, plain-English meaning of the word: to be the most prominent, influential or controlling factor (with the caveat of at that time, under those circumstances)

I hope that makes sense?
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
I would say dominating a situation or person/dog is getting your own way. A dominant person would therefore be someone that had the ability to get their own way. You are therefore right, someone can not be dominant because it depends on who they are competing with whether they are successful in getting their own way. As you would expect with a character trait it is a sliding scale. Perhaps domineering is a better term; someone that tries to get their own way a high percentage of the time. Which can apply to dogs too.
Nicely put.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Totally agree.

I find the word "dominance" has almost the same effect on people as "electric shock collar".

Dominant behaviour exists, just as aggressive behaviour exists. This is a fact and we can see it every day.

Some people define their dogs by those behaviours rather than saying that in certain contexts the dog displays x behaviour (after all we do not think or expect a dog to be aggressive 24 hours a day even when alone as there has to be something or somebody else in the equation for a dog to demonstrate aggressive behaviour)

I have also found that, as in much literature, as the dogs do not read, they often demonstrate (quite regularly) that life can contradict the written word!

I also find it interesting that the views of those whose empirical knowledge outweighs the theoretical knowledge are often disparate from those whose knowledge where the positions are reversed!

And by that I mean the empirical knowledge of HUNDREDS of dogs rather than their own a small group to which they are regularly exposed.

But, as they say, it is good to talk!
I totally agree with all that you have said here.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yes it is very complicated if you try and label it
There are so many different ways to get your own way

For example now Mia knows agression does not work she has different methods for trying to get her own way
If Ben is lying on something she wants wthout being aware he 'has' it she will come and cry to me to get it from him
She got her own way - but is that dominant?

If he is chewing something she would like she sometimes does tricks for him in the hope he will reward her, sometimes he was leaving the thing anyway so she thinks her tricks have been rewarded, she gets her own way - is that dominant?

Sometimes she will lie beside him and watch him till he has done and leaves it

Sometimes she will fawn, creep up to him on her belly, lick his muzzle, drop toys on his head until he lets her have it
Is that dominant?

and plenty dogs have learnt the 'barking at the door' to get the other dog to move so they can get their own way
I know what you mean, our small dog tries to get the elder dog to play and he is normally successful so he does get his own way. At the same time he is patient while the elder dog is not. The elder dog wants what he wants right away and he acts like a spoilt brat sometimes. But again, you can not say he is domineering all the time as when I am eating he just lies patiently in the hope that he will get some left-overs, but with my wife he gets impatient and barks at her to hurry up. The small dog does not even expect left-overs , even though he always gets half, or he certainly does not beg. So on the sliding scale of expectation of getting your own way there is a definite difference.
If Ben is lying on something she wants wthout being aware he 'has' it she will come and cry to me to get it from him
She got her own way - but is that dominant?
I would say she was impatient and expectant and maybe even manipulative?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Mmmm, so if a teacher is dominant in the classroom because the teacher is the leader of the group, what does that teacher become when they themselves go on a course and become the student?

This is why I have a problem with 'dominant' labelling. The same applies to dogs, in some situations they are the leader, in others the follower. In some situations confident, in some insecure.

In a particular group, it may seem obvious who does what - until, that is, an unknown factor is introduced (another dog, a different person etc)
Thats right----but that doesn't negate that a particular dog is being dominant within its group does it?

We have two groups here and both have a top dog. when the two groups mingle one stays top the other doesn't---which used to cause problems when I was the primary carer of both because it is my dog who is demoted---and he felt I would back him up whereas if Tassle was 'in charge' it wasn't an issue at all.

Most people don't have that problem anyway---much smaller groups, far less interaction with other dogs.

The huge difference between our pet dogs and wolves is that the dogs are willing to accept other dogs into their groups----as a general rule that is. Not many dogs approach a group of dogs on their own territory with huge confidence though, most will use a lot of calming signals and appease everyone for a length of time---how long depends on the dog.

The other big difference is the barking----where did that come from I wonder?

rune
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-08-2011, 10:04 AM
The other big difference is the barking----where did that come from I wonder?
Hi Rune,

I do not know if you saw the short video about taming foxes? I have posted it below if you are interested.

When they selectively bred foxes for tameness they actually started to look and act like dogs; curly tail, floppy ears, patches of colour rather than a uniform colour coat and of course barking. So it became apparent that the genes for tameness just happened to be the genes for floppy ears etc. The traits of tame foxes and dogs for that matter, are traits that before taming were only seen in infant foxes. So the tame genes are actually infantile genes. For example only wolf cubs bark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t74B6S1kzc
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
Hi Rune,

I do not know if you saw the short video about taming foxes? I have posted it below if you are interested.

When they selectively bred foxes for tameness they actually started to look and act like dogs; curly tail, floppy ears, patches of colour rather than a uniform colour coat and of course barking. So it became apparent that the genes for tameness just happened to be the genes for floppy ears etc. The traits of tame foxes and dogs for that matter, are traits that before taming were only seen in infant foxes. So the tame genes are actually infantile genes. For example only wolf cubs bark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t74B6S1kzc
Sorry that isn't correct, although it is not infrequently stated (incidentally they are now referred to as wolf pups, bears and foxes have cubs).

Adult wolves bark less frequently than most adult dogs (although I have known at least one dog who very, very rarely barked i.e. about one single bark once a year!) but they can and do bark if the occasional merits it.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 12:03 PM
In my house it`s the littlest one (the terrier) that starts the barking.
I think he barks because he`s the most threatened. Being the smallest.
IME confident dogs don`t bark much.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-08-2011, 12:05 PM
In my opinion and experience, huge amounts of what passes for knowledge in the dog training world isn't knowledge at all but fashion. Every few years someone comes up with a new, fashionable theory and all the old stuff (whether it was effective or not) is thrown out of the window while the "new" stuff becomes mainstream. Currently we are going through a period of this with the celebration of positive reward training (much of which is based on Pavlovian and Skinnerian behaviourist theories which have been laughed out of court for fifty years in human psychology) and the demonisation of the use of negative reinforcement (punishment for want of a better word). Negative reinforcement is the big no-no in today's dog training mainstream (as it has been in western social life for the past 30 years. We have seen the results of that on our streets over recent days with hordes of feral youth who have never been taught that actions have consequences and that acquisition of wealth involves hard work, literally running riot).

IMHO the best way to look at dog psychology is to see what works, try and find out why it works and use it, no matter what theoretical perspective it comes from. Pack theory is a good example - for years people have taken the work of people like David Mech as gospel, when in reality some of it was flawed in several respects. Instead of retaining the useful and ignoring the rest, people want to throw the whole thing out - losing the baby with the bathwater!
We need to be very careful in how we use theories. For me, there is no "pack theory" only pack practice (as I live with a pack of between 12 and 15 Siberian Huskies).
It is foolish to directly compare the social behaviour of a pack of wolves in the wild with a pack of domesticated Siberian Huskies in someone's home or backyard. In a wolf pack, the Alpha is a WOLF and that wolf controls the resources of the pack in a variety of ways - usually completely non-violently. A pack of sibes may also have an alpha dog/bitch, but they also have something that wolves don't have and which affects the whole pack structure enormously - a human leader (or leaders) who control(s) the resources of the pack in a more complete way than an Alpha wolf ever could. So the nature of a Siberian Husky "pack" is very different from that of a pack of wolves - primarily as it is based, not around survival in the wild, but about the husky pack's relationship with its humans and with each other. It is still very much "pack" behaviour nevertheless and the fluidity of the relationships within it and the changes which occur as a result of additions or subtractions to the pack are fascinating to watch. Having a pack of 12 dogs of our own and an endless procession of rescue fosters joining and leaving the pack, we have been privileged to observe the pack behaviour of Siberians at close quarters for many years.
In my opinion, humans are not part of the pack and human leadership of the pack is totally different to the "internal" leadership of the pack leader (or alpha dog). Human leadership is (or should be) separate from and above canine pack leadership. You can see this clearly when I or my wife Terry walk into the pack - immediately everything changes and our laid back alpha will be trampled in the rush of the younger dogs to greet us, despite his grumps. Yet when we are not around he will keep order amongst the youngsters with a look, or by putting himself between youngsters spoiling for a fight, or if it is really serious, with a bloodcurdling growl. He has never needed to bite or attack one of the other dogs to keep order - his natural alpha status does it for him.
Every pack will be different because it contains different personalities. A pack like ours will be more fluid than most because we have a constant flow of fosters in and out of it, but even a more static pack will still be fluid as dogs' personalities change with age and experience just like peoples'. Our pack leader, Ute is very much the alpha in the home territory. Merlin is his deputy and backs him up most of the time (he did challenge for alpha position for a while but soon realised he was on a loser and settled into his subordinate role). Anya is the female alpha, despite being incredibly laid back, although she is currently being challenged by foster bitch Mia whose confidence has grown enormously in the 9 months we have been fostering her. When we get out in the forest and get the dogs in harness, however, the roles change. Merlin is my top lead dog, paired with Summer (a low status girl until she gets in harness).

The whole "dominance" issue is a bit of a red herring. If you are showing appropriate leadership to your dogs, they will love you and want to please you above all. Things like going through the door before your dog are common sense, not signs of dominance. Similarly feeding yourselves before the dogs is a nonsense. Our dogs get fed first thing in the morning - even before I have had my first coffee. Again, nothing to do with dominance, simply convenience and I'm pretty sure that the dogs ascribe no more significance to it than I do!

Mick
Page 17 of 30 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »