Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
My views on what I find acceptable and unacceptable ref crossbreeding, should be well known on the forum by now. So, unless requested, I won't bore you all again with the details.

However, as I said on that other crossbreeding thread, can someone explain where there is a logical need for mixing, as if the reason is simply for pets, and the parent breeds can and are successful at this task, then there wouldn't appear to be a logical need to cross them would there?

I'll point out, that the emphasis is on logical need, as opposed to emotional want.

My conclusion at this time is that it is the latter, that being emotion driven want. The question is, am I right?
Yes - I believe you are...but that is why most dogs are bred now anyway. It is certainly why I have my dogs. I don't need them.....I want them.

I assume that Dogs who no longer have a working purpose are bred for that reason as well.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Vikki123 View Post
This is irrelevant, anyone who breeds dogs are adding to the pet market whether they are pedigrees or cross breeds!
I said in my first post, that i think an ethical breeder is one who breeds to keep a pup themselves (i do except there may be the odd exception)... therefore that litter isnt being bred with the purpose to supply the pet market. Yes, some of the dogs will become pets, but that isnt why they were bred.

I have visited my local RSPCA recently and all I saw were staffies, mastiffs and German Shepherd mixes, they may be nice dogs, but they are not dogs that I would want! People who prefer large dogs probably wouldn't get a small one just because they know there are some in rescue!
I dont know what the point of that was, but there are so many dogs in rescue of all shapes and sizes that im sure the majority of people could find one to suit them.

You can't say that a breeder is unethical just because they do not breed pedigrees! In fact imo people who breed pugs and bulldogs to the breed standard are unethical, as those breeds have the worst health problems and the breeders know that, but continue to breed as a status in the show ring and for money! Whereas cross breeds and mutts tend to be healthier (obviously not always if the breeder hasn't performed proper health screening, but that can happen with pedigree breeders too).
Well, i do say those breeders are unethical coz that is MY opinion.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by that? People do like different breeds or types of dogs, that's why dogs are bred and why people own certain breeds
Yes, people own certain breeds coz they like the standard that they can follow... of course some dogs in the same breed differ, but when crossing dogs you are creating much diversity... so you cant say what dogs of that cross are like as a group, coz they dont have a standard! I just dont understand what is wrong with the breeds we already have established, that people need to cross

Well labradoodles and cockerpoos are all crosses of gundogs and each of these breeds (cocker spaniels, labradors, poodles) also tend to make good family pets as well as good dogs for obedience training. If you put two gentle gundogs together you are probably still going to get a gentle dog. They still have to be responsibly bred and ensure that both parents have good temperaments, but that's just like with pedigrees anyway.[/COLOR]
But you said dogs like 'labradoodles' and 'cockerpoos' are great family dogs etc, 'which cannot be said about some pedigrees'... if you have two nice dogs of different breeds and breed them, then chances are the pups will be nice dogs... if you take two nice dogs from the same breed, and breed them then they also have a good chance of producing pups who will be nice dogs (obviously other factors play a part)... so it is irrelevant if the dogs are pedigrees or not. But you implied that somehow these crosses are automatically friendlier

Originally Posted by animal-lover View Post
Just would like to point out yes i do help to rehome them as well.
At least i do something good in life not like some.
You all can sit there with your pedigree dogs and moan and moan about others.
Why dont you do something useful in helping this world.
Stop breeding for a start and rescue at least one dog each instead.
Im not sure exactly who that is aimed at, but i have a crossbreed who is also a rescue and i have problems with people purposely breeding crosses!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I think someone asked why cross - well we have normally had crosses because we can afford them only time we have had pedigree was when we rescued them. A lot of people certainly in the past had crosses because they couldn't afford a pedigree.

Personally although I value our dogs highly I can't pay nearly £1000 for a puppy and a cross for £100 was much nearer the mark.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Yes - I believe you are...but that is why most dogs are bred now anyway. It is certainly why I have my dogs. I don't need them.....I want them.

I assume that Dogs who no longer have a working purpose are bred for that reason as well.
Yes, and that's my point.

If those breeds themselves are now being bred as pets successfuly, then where's the logic in crossing them. I'm going to assume it isn't logical, which is why my logic driven brain is finding it somewhat nonsencical.

I suppose what I'm asking is, if a lab or poodle would be suitable for someone, then whats wrong with getting either a lab or a poodle, why a lab x poodle?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 05:55 PM

If those breeds themselves are now being bred as pets successfuly, then where's the logic in crossing them. I'm going to assume it isn't logical, which is why my logic driven brain is finding it somewhat nonsencical.

I suppose what I'm asking is, if a lab or poodle would be suitable for someone, then whats wrong with getting either a lab or a poodle, why a lab x poodle?
But those breeds are not always good pets? Yet they are still bred.

..and I would ask why not a Lab x Poodle. The dogs have been health tested and are going to good homes with back up from the breeder. Why stick to pure just because they are pure.

Dogs have evolved over the years usually with a specific purpose in mind - but for some reason people seem to think that we now have enough breeds and therefore time is up, stick with what you have and be grateful.

However - we have done this before and I ain't going there again.
IMO - Dogs are 90% (possibly more) pets and as long as people are breeding with that in mind, and ensuring the well-being of anything they produce(heath/temp/life long back up etc etc) that's fine with me.
animal-lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
true. Many crosses are sold for more than their parent`s breeds would be.
And thats what some folk have the problem with.
Think its a bit of the green eyed monster coming out as crossbreeds are getting more and more popular.
Hope it continues this way too.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 06:22 PM
And thats what some folk have the problem with.
Think its a bit of the green eyed monster coming out as crossbreeds are getting more and more popular.
Hope it continues this way too.
Green eyed monsters coming out - You are so right. People dont want to see the breed they care about, have spent hundreds of pounds on doing health tests and on health research put to any other dog for the sake of it - not bred for a 'vaild' reason.. People surely can see and understand that? A decent breeders doesnt care what money they make, so is not jeaous or what not about the prices a cross is sold for - for me its abit more of why buy from someone breeding just to make money, and exploiting their dogs in such a way.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 06:38 PM

Well said indeed. Totally agree.
animal-lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Green eyed monsters coming out - You are so right. People dont want to see the breed they care about, have spent hundreds of pounds on doing health tests and on health research put to any other dog for the sake of it - not bred for a 'vaild' reason.. People surely can see and understand that? A decent breeders doesnt care what money they make, so is not jeaous or what not about the prices a cross is sold for - for me its abit more of why buy from someone breeding just to make money, and exploiting their dogs in such a way.
Think what you like but look at the state of some of the pedigree dogs,and how they have been bred in the past.
Crossbreeds now for me everytime.
Yes i would pay lots more for them too.
My money and i will spend it!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Think what you like but look at the state of some of the pedigree dogs,and how they have been bred in the past.
Crossbreeds now for me everytime.
Yes i would pay lots more for them too.
My money and i will spend it!
Spend it how you like - doesnt bother me! LOL
Some pedigree dogs are in a sticky place, no-one said different but doesnt mean all crosses are healthy.

Poodles and CCs can both suffer some of the same eye disease - put them together and their off spring if parents are not tested can be just as unhealthy as untested dogs from a pure bred mating.
I dont know if your dogs parents were tested or not - as one min their rescues next their from reputal breeders (what ever one of them is thats crossing)
Page 17 of 28 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »