Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Quick point about correct kc looks.

One thing that attracts me to BC and Jrts IS the difference in looks.

My old border collie is small long coated with a shelti head.

My young border collie is tall and rangy with a medium coat. Different colours too.

My old jrt is small, mostly white with a wire/curly coat.

My young jrt is tall shorter coated with patches of grey.

One of the most popular KC breeds is the gsd, Long coats, short coats variouse different shapes colours ect.

I think people will always want dogs with a bit of variety in their looks.

Re health, I'm no vet but my none kc dogs seem healthier than friends Kc dogs.

Adam
I agree - diversity within breeds is a good thing imo.
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2010, 07:25 PM
I purposely chose a breeder who's bc's don't conform to the kc standards. I was looking for a pup to train to a high standard in agility so wanted one that was bred for the job it was intended for. Ok so he doesnt work sheep but he is fast,agile, light of foot and super turned on, and a cracking agility dog. Many of the show line dogs who compete in agility just can't cut the mustard. They seem to be a different shape,shorter backed and much more laid back in general.

The breeder does health check though and generally breeds to keep a pup.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
They don't seem to think they have something rare---they have seen others and they like the looks and the temperamenty. They probably have as much chance of getting a similar dog as someone going for a known breed has of getting one similar to their friends dog.
Utter rhubabrb! Are you telling me people want dogs with mouthes like shovels, twisted backs, deformed front legs tec.. because they have seen other people with them? Do me a favour! please show me where all of these crosses breed to type, even the Labradoodle comes as "any variety Labradoodle!!"

Since my health tested and well bred collie has cost me more than any other dog I have had and is about to do it again you will excuse the hollow laugh at the thought of cross breed owners having problems! I now know two labs and a collie from tested parents who have OCD----that wasn't tested for.
Please ask at any boarding kennels, if the pedigrees are the ones on meds more than the crosses, you may be surprised. Just because you have one costing you money, it hardly represents the entire population does it? Perhaps the Lab breeders buyers should have been a little more careful in their purchases, homework is always the key.
swarthy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2010, 09:48 AM
I now know two labs and a collie from tested parents who have OCD----that wasn't tested for.

Please explain HOW you test for something that cannot be tested for and can affect ANY breed.

Elbow Dysplasia can be tested for and an increasing number of dogs in breeding programmes are being tested.

People conveniently forget that Labradors account for around a fifth of all dogs registered year on year with the KC and are typically a very healthy breed - yes, you will hear of problems, often from people who have bought indiscriminately - occasionally, you will hear of difficulties from well bred labradors, because testing lowers risk, not removes it.

I've just been looking at the breed averages for Labs in 2007, for that year alone in around 6,000 dogs tested, the year average was 12 (3 points below the running average)and continues to fall - for Poodles on 468 dogs (in total) tested it is 14.

Before people start saying there is no problem in a 'breed' or crossbreed, we need to see far more dogs being tested - only then will you get a true indication of whether there is a problem.

But whether the supporters of cross-breeds like it or not, a test embedded in a breed is done by people who care - a test not embedded in a breed is done because there is a recognised problem - - as we know the large majority of these deliberate cross breeds will come (in the main) from dogs at the lowest quality end of the scale to start with - and with that will ultimately come a recognition that problems exist and hence a small number of breeders will start testing.

EVERY single product that ever becomes available follows exactly the same pattern of early adopters through to late adopters and laggards - a fact that has been proven historically more times than anyone can argue with.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by swarthy View Post
I now know two labs and a collie from tested parents who have OCD----that wasn't tested for.

Please explain HOW you test for something that cannot be tested for and can affect ANY breed.

Elbow Dysplasia can be tested for and an increasing number of dogs in breeding programmes are being tested.

People conveniently forget that Labradors account for around a fifth of all dogs registered year on year with the KC and are typically a very healthy breed - yes, you will hear of problems, often from people who have bought indiscriminately - occasionally, you will hear of difficulties from well bred labradors, because testing lowers risk, not removes it.

I've just been looking at the breed averages for Labs in 2007, for that year alone in around 6,000 dogs tested, the year average was 12 (3 points below the running average)and continues to fall - for Poodles on 468 dogs (in total) tested it is 14.

Before people start saying there is no problem in a 'breed' or crossbreed, we need to see far more dogs being tested - only then will you get a true indication of whether there is a problem.

But whether the supporters of cross-breeds like it or not, a test embedded in a breed is done by people who care - a test not embedded in a breed is done because there is a recognised problem - - as we know the large majority of these deliberate cross breeds will come (in the main) from dogs at the lowest quality end of the scale to start with - and with that will ultimately come a recognition that problems exist and hence a small number of breeders will start testing.

EVERY single product that ever becomes available follows exactly the same pattern of early adopters through to late adopters and laggards - a fact that has been proven historically more times than anyone can argue with.
Do you know Swarthy, I read that as elbow dysplasia and it looks nothing like it!

So yes, your comment stands for Rune to answer. OCD is a problem that cannot be "pre" tested for.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 07:02 PM
OCD in collies, is genetic & often turns up more in Dogs than bitches, i suppose because they are bigger
swarthy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
OCD in collies, is genetic & often turns up more in Dogs than bitches, i suppose because they are bigger
But can it be tested for?

Is it inherited?

Although the factors that cause OCD are not completely resolved, direct factors considered to be involved in the development of OCD are rapid growth and trauma to the joint. Indirect factors affecting rapid growth include nutrition, hormones, and genetic predisposition to rapid growth and large size. Indirect influences that may lead to increased trauma to the joint include conformation and behavior, which are also influenced by heredity.

Therefore, the genetic link for most types of OCD is considered to be indirect
, that is, an inherited tendency. Certain sites for OCD lesions, such as the elbow, appear to have a greater direct genetic contribution and a higher heritability than other sites, such as the shoulder. The most important contributing factor in OCD of the shoulder, the most common site, is thought to be trauma.

====================
Sources? No idea on the original source - amongst others

http://www.americanbordercollie.org/...%20Collies.htm
http://www.ourcollies.co.uk/ocd.htm
http://www.bryningbordercollies.com/...-Collie-Health
http://www.dogstuff.info/border_coll...tics_abca.html
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Utter rhubabrb! Are you telling me people want dogs with mouthes like shovels, twisted backs, deformed front legs tec..

Hang on---thats Pekes isn't it (G)! Not funny actually but ironic you should use that as reason for NOT getting a crossbred dog!

Please ask at any boarding kennels, if the pedigrees are the ones on meds more than the crosses, you may be surprised. Just because you have one costing you money, it hardly represents the entire population does it? Perhaps the Lab breeders buyers should have been a little more careful in their purchases, homework is always the key.

Funnily enough once again if you had bothered to actually read what I wrote you would have seen that I said that I didn't believe in hybrid vigour although I have more reason than most to think it.

The cost of various conditions is irrelevant, the pain and discomfort to the dog is not

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 08:22 PM
There has been a test for OCD since 1998 I think---it mentions it on one site but breeders appear to be more comfortable without it.

I know of one breeder who stopped using a bitch when it turned up in one of her pups.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Funnily enough once again if you had bothered to actually read what I wrote you would have seen that I said that I didn't believe in hybrid vigour although I have more reason than most to think it.

The cost of various conditions is irrelevant, the pain and discomfort to the dog is not.

rune
Thats a shame, reading your posts you seem anti everything pedigree, stick to what you know eh.
Page 17 of 23 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »