View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 10:34 PM
As mentioned I have bred and I also work for a rescue, I want to point out something that got my goat up at work this past week, the following is why we have too many dogs in rescue. A woman came into our center to collect her dog, that had escaped, while she was waiting for the kennel staff to bring her dog up from the kennels she asked me would it be alright for this dog to go back home and mix with the litter she had at home? I said probably not for a while due to the fact that kennels can sometimes have KC flying round, I asked her were her pups Siberian huskies (the dog she was claiming was a husky) she said no they are half and half? I said what do you mean, she said the mum is an Akita, I asked her did she intentionally breed the Siberian to the Akita, her answer was yes, the sibe (male) is 1 years of age, the Akita (bitch) is just 2 years of age, during the conversation I also found out this was the Akita's 2nd litter obviously I was not happy about this and I am very opinionated when it comes to responsible breeding, I asked her why she was breeding these two lovely breeds together, and ruining them this way, her reply was she got £250 each for the last lot. I said that she was actually harming her girl by breeding from her so young and so often, her response was, why is it wrong for her to have babies? I had 6 kids of my own and I'm ok this woman had absolutely no idea about responsible breeding, she saw some money to be made, non of her dogs had been health tested, as she was TOTALLY ignorant to the fact that a breeding a dog could cause inherited health problems. SHE AND OTHERS LIKE HER ARE WHY RESCUE CENTERS ARE FULL, she had'nt even bought the dogs from a breeder the Akita had been given to her in a pub, and the sibe was a friends that didnt want it anymore. I aked her did she have homes for the pups she said some friends want one, if I cant get rid of the others I will give you a ring to see if you want them.

Mo
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
As mentioned I have bred and I also work for a rescue, I want to point out something that got my goat up at work this past week, the following is why we have too many dogs in rescue. A woman came into our center to collect her dog, that had escaped, while she was waiting for the kennel staff to bring her dog up from the kennels she asked me would it be alright for this dog to go back home and mix with the litter she had at home? I said probably not for a while due to the fact that kennels can sometimes have KC flying round, I asked her were her pups Siberian huskies (the dog she was claiming was a husky) she said no they are half and half? I said what do you mean, she said the mum is an Akita, I asked her did she intentionally breed the Siberian to the Akita, her answer was yes, the sibe (male) is 1 years of age, the Akita (bitch) is just 2 years of age, during the conversation I also found out this was the Akita's 2nd litter obviously I was not happy about this and I am very opinionated when it comes to responsible breeding, I asked her why she was breeding these two lovely breeds together, and ruining them this way, her reply was she got £250 each for the last lot. I said that she was actually harming her girl by breeding from her so young and so often, her response was, why is it wrong for her to have babies? I had 6 kids of my own and I'm ok this woman had absolutely no idea about responsible breeding, she saw some money to be made, non of her dogs had been health tested, as she was TOTALLY ignorant to the fact that a breeding a dog could cause inherited health problems. SHE AND OTHERS LIKE HER ARE WHY RESCUE CENTERS ARE FULL, she had'nt even bought the dogs from a breeder the Akita had been given to her in a pub, and the sibe was a friends that didnt want it anymore. I aked her did she have homes for the pups she said some friends want one, if I cant get rid of the others I will give you a ring to see if you want them.

Mo
Thats just how my girls were used!!!! It has to stop. Keep making people aware.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 10:56 PM

Mo

that is so awful, i cant beleive she saw nothing wrong with it?!

awful people
hameldal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Althou many good breeders will offer to take back a pup at any time of its life, many also dont - i think this is the difference between a good breeder and not in many cases!
Tis the responsibility of a breeder to care for their pups for their lifespan, what makes this often a lot harder is if dogs go into rescue without the breeders knowledge. I know breed specific rescues often seek out breeders to inform them and so give them the option of sorting out their own dogs if they can which is great, but then again if a peice of paper is not to hand you may never know whos a dog is!
Maybe in a perfect situation if dogs were returned to breeders there would be no need for rescue centres at all, and the breeders breeding too many unwanted dogs would have to sort out the dogs they should be responsible for
J xx
hameldal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-08-2007, 11:24 PM

Mo
but no matter how much people are told they wont go to different breeders, or do research before taking on dogs and they are also often blinded by the names of crossbreeds they come up with too, and the cute pups they appear to be being presented with!
It is sickening that she is making money off that poor girl
I cant understand why people buy them thou when good breeders offer sooo much more and rescue centres offer more often for free !!!
J xx
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2007, 03:35 AM
tinkladyv, did my post ring true to you at any point. Do you understand what I am trying to say?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2007, 04:43 AM

Mo

How could she make a profit £250 for a pup wouldnt even cover my cost of rearing, never mind the cost of making sure your bitch is healthy, hip scored, worming during pregnacy, scans, thats before they even hit the ground, then the vet bed / heat pads/ Eukanuba by the skip load, vet fees for tails,{not an issue now or with the breed in question} health checks, puppy poridge, whelpi milk, wormer for pups, vacs, puppy packs, my lot go with there case well packed with food toys treats vet bed,,, how on earth is she making money,,,,I dread to think the condition these pups must be in when they leave,,,,I dont think I could even do it if I reared them on old bread,,,,
Or am I just doing it all wrong,,,
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by hameldal View Post
Although many good breeders will offer to take back a pup at any time of its life, many also don't -
J xx
Many years ago when I was part owner of a small kennel (we bred very few litters) it was made clear to anyone who bought one of our puppies that they must never be sold to a third party, we would always buy them back (we did not want our dogs getting into the wrong hands) . We had a long waiting list of people wanting puppies and prospective owners were chosen with great care and left in no doubt about the work involved in owning a puppy. It could be said that we risked having dogs which had been 'ruined' by bad owners returned to us but that never happened. New owners knew that we were available any time should they have a problem and we taught them not only basic puppy care but for those who wished to learn how to trim and train their dogs .

In my opinion any dogs bred are and remain the responsibility of the breeder throughout the lifetime of the dog.

Rescues
A couple of points about rescues, many rescues do an invaluable job taking on 'genuine' rescue dogs who due to unforeseen circumstances can not remain with their owners .

I have heard another point of view about some rescues/sanctuaries expressed by someone I know who rescued two dogs in Wales.
This lady went in search of a rescue dog to have on her farm and found a sanctuary full of ex puppy farm breeding bitches.
This kind lady took on two little dogs out of pity .They had never seen daylight, had eye and various other health problems and were terrified of everything that moved she worked hard to rehabilitate them and spent a fortune in vets fees . She said some dogs don't make it to the rescues, they are hit on the head and put in a hole.

While taking the two bitches on she was also aware that in a way she was contributing to the problem because while there are sanctuaries and people prepared to take on these poor ex breeding bitches ( as well as buying the puppies) the trade will continue.

I asked the lady why these breeders were not reported and stopped, she said the whole business was shrouded in secrecy and those who had an idea where the dogs were being bred were afraid to speak out. Also the main 'breeders' had a network of other smaller breeders who supplied them and the breeding stock was well hidden and could be quickly moved if need be.The dogs were not considered to be anything other than livestock to be traded like any other commodity.

The people who go on about 'no one should breed everyone should take on a rescue 'are a godsend to the puppy farmers who rely on people like these to help them rehome their unwanted overused breeding bitches.

Added
If responsible doggy people on sites like Dogsy go on promoting good breeders /explain to people that good breeders don't breed many litters so perspective owners may have to wait a while for a puppy/ that taking on a dog or puppy is a huge and expensive commitment and should not be undertaken lightly there may be less dogs in rescue.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Because by breeding this litter, you have added yet more dogs to be homed, there are simply not enough homes for all the dogs out there. If we stopped breeding and just got rescues, then healthy dogs would not have to be destroyed.
Please take the time to look at world statistics on dog destroying, im sure many were once puppies from breeders!
Hi tinklady sorry but to me this is a naive and simplistic view, or are you saying that there should be no dogs at all.

Ok everyone stops breeding tomorrow, the rescue centres gradually empty, no more dogs are born and dogs as species die out.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi tinklady sorry but to me this is a naive and simplistic view, or are you saying that there should be no dogs at all.

Ok everyone stops breeding tomorrow, the rescue centres gradually empty, no more dogs are born and dogs as species die out.
Thats just what I was trying to say Mini but I didnt seem to be able to put it into words.
All my puppies are expected back iftheres any problem and there all contracted not to be bred from.
Ive explained that if they want the restrictions lifted it will only be under certain criteria on of which is they are health checked and I pick the stud dog,
With regards to selling the pups if i allow breeding its understood they will be breed restricted as well.
Page 17 of 32 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »