Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post

I always find it funny when people with completely different dogs think they can dictate what is best for all dogs, surely the point is all dogs are different and the owners generally know their dog much better than anyone else will ?
What she said. The fact is not all dogs were designed to live and work in a cold climate (just like not all were designed to live and work in a hot climate, like mine) Each person knows their own dog and their own dogs limitations and needs best and it is not for any one of us or anyone else at all to dictate what someone else need do or not do for their dog.

And the idea that people living in flats with elderly dogs are being cruel is just ridiculous. How very nice that Dawn is so worldly and experienced that she knows exactly what everyone ought and ought not be doing. What do you expect, people give up their dog when it gets old so it doesn't have to walk to the park for a wee? Not quite fair to the dog or owner is it? Would you rehome Tarn or put him down if your circumstances changed and you no longer had a garden?

For the record, Moxie has a coat but almost never uses it. Only if we are going to be outside in extreme cold but not active for whatever reason (camping, etc)
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 09:53 AM
My dogs wear a coat when it is cold or rainy. They are both 9 now and it has been exceptionally cold lately and they are trimmed breeds so can have varying lengths of coat on them at any given time.

I do find it annoying the comments I get from people when I am walking my dogs out in cold or rainy weather with their coats on. We had a man cycle past recently who said "Oh look-dogs with coats on!" in a sarcastic tone of voice. I replied "Oh look-a person with a coat on!" in a similar tone! This is when we had snow and ice and minus temperatures.

As long as you aren't making your dog look stupid by humanising it with "silly" bling type of coats and it is justified by the weather conditions and your breed or age of dog I don't see there is a problem.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Genuinely here, don't understand why you'd put a coat on a dog. Like others have said, they were born with a coat of their own and survived for hundreds fo years doing their job without a human coat!
Not in centrally heated accommodation they haven't.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
What she said. The fact is not all dogs were designed to live and work in a cold climate (just like not all were designed to live and work in a hot climate, like mine) Each person knows their own dog and their own dogs limitations and needs best and it is not for any one of us or anyone else at all to dictate what someone else need do or not do for their dog.

And the idea that people living in flats with elderly dogs are being cruel is just ridiculous. How very nice that Dawn is so worldly and experienced that she knows exactly what everyone ought and ought not be doing. What do you expect, people give up their dog when it gets old so it doesn't have to walk to the park for a wee? Not quite fair to the dog or owner is it? Would you rehome Tarn or put him down if your circumstances changed and you no longer had a garden?

For the record, Moxie has a coat but almost never uses it. Only if we are going to be outside in extreme cold but not active for whatever reason (camping, etc)
You also did NOT read the posts properly. I have NEVER said what people should do with THEIR dogs, ever, I have been asked what I would do, and as its a thread for peoples opinion on the subject, I think Im perfectly entitled to give it! I hope I am clear now because its getting very boring repeating myself!

As regard to my Dog, a 17lb Border Terrier isnt going to have much issue being carried is he? If you had read my posts (which some clearly havent) I said keeping a LARGE dog would be unfair in a flat, as if there were no lift, it would be very cruel to make it go up and down stairs if it were very arthritic! Perhaps you think thats OK, sorry, I dont, I think its cruel.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Perhaps it's the way it was worded Dawn because for so many people to read it like you were telling us what is right and what is wrong/cruel we can't all have got it wrong surely ?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Perhaps it's the way it was worded Dawn because for so many people to read it like you were telling us what is right and what is wrong/cruel we can't all have got it wrong surely ?
I think Dawn is telling it how she sees it, as always it seems , because others disagree with her views, they see it as a personal criticism. she has said enough times, "in her opinion"

Personally I have said, mien wear coats, they both suffer from spine and hip problems, Bandit in particular, he is also old, and crippled, and yes he still has is walks, as long as he wants them , and can do them he will get them, they just gets shorter less strenuous ones, all he wants to do is go out and have a sniff and pee, and he is happy.

And because he is old and suffers with hip back problems he wears a coat in cold wet weather, does it help him does he need it, I really dont know, does it make me feel better yep it does does he ever shiver with cold, no, but thats not why he wears a coat.

I do agree with Dawn though, you do see some very arthritic dogs beign dragged aroudn for walks, when it is obvious they should not be out walking, and that in my opinion is cruelty.

I dont have a problem that Dawns opinions differ to mine n this subject, neither do I feel she is preaching that she is right and I am wrong
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 02:00 PM
It seems them that actually read/took - Dawns post how it was posted agree!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I understood the way Dawn was saying it, she has said that it is her opinion and what she would do... she isnt telling others what they should do.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2011, 02:28 PM
It depends on the breed if dog. Personally I wouldn't ever put a coat on Bruce. Yes I do need a coat but I am a mere human not a Labrador.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I understood the way Dawn was saying it, she has said that it is her opinion and what she would do... she isnt telling others what they should do.
The way that Dawn was saying it:

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I just wish people would realise the welfare of their dogs may be better if they didnt put coats on them.
implies that she thinks people are actually causing harm to their dogs. That's not the same as saying what she would do.
Page 17 of 26 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »