View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 11:11 AM
personaly i think every breeder should be licensed and each individual dog they wish to breed from should also be licensed, no other pups should be able to be sold, any accidents should be taken to a rehoming centre with a large fine to cover the costs of rehoming, and neutering should be free bet there would be less accidents, i know its not possible and there would be underground breeders
There are no"accidental"litters there are litters that resuklt in human negligence, this is were the bitch is not segregated from males whilst in season & I know several people who have taken on rescue bitches that have produced litters that have been the result of the bitch being mated whilst in the care of the rescue(all have been in "all breed"rescues)

I will repeat I do not have a problem with neutering dogs, only the prepubescent/maturity neutering that is carried out as a contraceptive measure.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
So does the rescues your associatted with rehome entire young males?
some do some dont, I guess much depends on the dog, the rescue and so on, eg... neo resuce dont rehome entire dogs

kenzo came to his new owners via a local rottie rescue who did allow him to go entire.

I know the woman who re-homed kenzo, she does the best she can with what she has,
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

You have lost me you had one spayed & both castrated ??

I would expect a dog aggressive dog to get more aggressive after castration if the aggression is not hormone related-this is why dogs should be chemically castrated first to assess the situation in a medically correct way. Sadly few vets /owners do this they go straight for the"jugular"& remove the testicles
They both had the Tardak jab 1st.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Our GSD rescue cannot afford to castrate/spay all the dogs/bitches that go through the rescue-at a minimum of £150 a time that would mean having to generate at least 400 @ £150 every year(£60,000)before the feeding & other veterinary treatment is accounted for. Some come in already neutered-oddly enough these are usually the ones with the really bad behavioural problems-the owners substituting neutering for training & this is not just my experience over the past few years, but the last 40 + !!
I have to agree with this, though I have not had as many years hands on as you, I often find people think having a dog done will be a quick fix for all issues, often though it makes things worse
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 11:23 AM
I am surprised your vets charge you full amount thats shocking.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Most vets charge full amount to rescues, and the cost varies enormously around the country,

Have kept out of this because i don't have dogs only bitches, so have never had a dog of my own castrated, and i think bitches are different (JMO) i have however had lots of rescues castrated, we do castrate from 6 months onwards, however we don't do it, if the dog in question appears to be not mature enough to do it. Of the ones we have had done none have come back because of behavioural issues after, i personally don't think that it has much effect on behaviour, and most issues in my experience are down to owners not training or unmderstanding how to handle their dogs, and for me this is the main reason that any dog ends up in rescue
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 11:47 AM
They both had the Tardak jab 1st.
But that does not give a true indication of whether castration will work....it does not inhibit the teststerone.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
But that does not give a true indication of whether castration will work....it does not inhibit the teststerone.
It's the hormone-Progestogen. Far better to use the Suprelorin implant as it does inhibit testosterone production & is truly a checmical castration !
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 12:06 PM
When the vet is Matt Brash that's cheap !!!! His practice charges are very high !
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 12:07 PM
It's the hormone-Progestogen. Far better to use the Suprelorin implant as it does inhibit testosterone production & is truly a checmical castration !
Agreed....we all know what female hormones do to the system

Added to the fact the Tardack injection only lasts one month.....
Page 17 of 40 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »