Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I know how awful depression can be; two people extremely close to me have suffered from it. On bad days one of them could not move; he literally just lay on the sofa with tears in his eyes.

But EVEN knowing this, I STILL do not accept this comes into the way this man treated these dogs.

Unless we are saying he had some form of problem back in 2004 also? When he killed a spaniel by leaving the dog in a car in the heat....???

No matter what his problem this man was functioning well enough to get to a meeting on time, to do his job etc.

There is no 'excuse' and no 'reason' that can possibly justify or explain his now having killed three dogs.
But you do not know the whole facts, only what is in the newspapers upon which you are basing your judgements.

As has already been said, people with very severe issues can get to a meeting on time!

Nobody has said that the deaths of these dogs can be excused either.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
They - he and his lawyer.

My dogs are and always will be my priority - they are more important to me than anyone and anything - and yes, my family and friends do know that!

These dogs died a horrible death because of human being - if it was up to me, he would suffer the same fate.

There is no excuse, IMO, and it is unforgivable.
No one has said there is any excuse.

However to wish someone else dead is inexcusable too.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
The mentally ill may not walk around with a sign on their forehead but the majority of those who rape and murder etc are not mentally ill either.
No the majority of them may not, but that still does not change the fact that some are mentally ill and undiagnosed by anyone.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
The real tragedy is (whether he is mentally ill or not) that he was allowed to have dogs again after he'd killed one in the same circumstances. If he'd be prosecuted and banned from keeping animals then he wouldn't have had any in his care, his mental state would have been immaterial.
Becky
I agree with you
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 06:39 PM
If indeed he does have mental health issues and managed to keep them from his employers, surely his wife would have noticed. I have to admit I am highly sceptical about his mental health and think it's probably a ruse to get away with negligence.
When my Ex was suffering from depression it would have been impossible for me not to notice, although he did manage to function perfectly well at work in a very stressful job.

Not necessarily, there is plenty of case history to demonstrate that wives, husbands, employers, friends are completely unaware of mental illnesses.

People do not get SECTIONED on a ruse, perhaps you are unaware how difficult it is to GET sectioned?

Your experience is not the experience of ALL. It is just ONE in thousands.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-07-2011, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't wish him dead but I do think he should shoulder the responsibility for his actions. If he really is ill then I think he should get the help he needs and never be allowed to work with or own a dog again. To be honest though jumping out of a moving car, and an unsuccesful attempt to slash his wrist, smacks more of being a drama queen than a mental illness. Although I'm guessing the car was fairly slow moving as there is no report of injuries sustained at the time. Call me a sceptic I don't care.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I think this as well.

Of course nobody can prevent people having opinions based on their own prejudices and the media, but it does not make it true!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't wish him dead but I do think he should shoulder the responsibility for his actions. If he really is ill then I think he should get the help he needs and never be allowed to work with or own a dog again. To be honest though jumping out of a moving car, and an unsuccesful attempt to slash his wrist, smacks more of being a drama queen than a mental illness. Although I'm guessing the car was fairly slow moving as there is no report of injuries sustained at the time. Call me a sceptic I don't care.
Nobody is saying he is not responsible for his actions either.

And do all unsuccessful attempts at suicide = drama queens?

If so there are lot of mentally ill drama queens around.................and a lot of dead ones too.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
If he is suffering from mental health issues that made him oblivious to the fact he had left both his dogs in a car that was likely to heat up very quickly (on what was, I believe, the hottest day of the year so far up to that date) then this story starts to make a bit more sense to me.

I cannot believe an experienced and respected police dog handler/trainer in full control of his faculties would have left the two dogs in a hot car to intentionally cause them horrendous suffering and death.

If he is suffering mentally and that is the reason for this act of gross negligence, then I can understand his actions when he found out that two more of his dogs had died due to his lack of care, when he attempted to harm himself.

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that he shouldn't have been allowed to be in charge of more working dogs with his previous record, or that this horrendous incident should never have happened ... but, the mental health issues make the story a little clearer for me to understand. No less awful, but a little more understandable.

The police in general really do need to look at helping officers with MH issues, without allowing any stigma or a lack of promotion to be attached to them. People with MH issues need understanding and the right kind of care.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Of course nobody can prevent people having opinions based on their own prejudices and the media, but it does not make it true!
It MAY well be case, I'm not saying for a fact that it is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. I don't care if this makes me a sceptic.
Page 17 of 28 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »