Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
I have to agree, i have felt most unwelcome by many of the breeders on this sight just because i dont agree with what they do. We should discuss our differing views to further our own thoughts on these matters, i know i have.
I would like to say a big thank you though to two members who have made me feel very welcome and they know who they are.
Now that is one thing you CANNOT say about this site! I am a prime example of that! I am pro hunting, shooting and working terriers, yet everyone respects eachothers opinions, we may disagree from time to time, but this really is one of the fairest sites you will find anywhere on the net!
Dawn.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 09:22 PM
I agree, I think dogsey always welcomes newcomers!! I am fairly new myself!! But I didnt begin my first posts with all guns blazing, telling established dogsey members not to breed their dogs....then continuing to attack breeders (which I have figured many dogsey members are breeders!!!) As far s I am aware dogsey has many enjoyable threads where we all like to contribute and interact with each other..DISCUSSING our views.....
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 09:32 PM
I have never said your are responsible for the rescue situation.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 09:43 PM
phew well that was hard work reading all those pages !!

Firstly a warm welcome to the newer members posting on this thread.

Secondly - as a rescue dog owner who will inevitably be rescue for the rest of her life I would like to say that i agree wholeheartedly with muttzrule's post - rachael you have perfectly worded how i feel about it.

I too think that there are far too many dogs bred - however its not the responsible breeders that we worry about - its all the others, tom dick and harry letting their dog have a litter as its better for them etc etc etc !!!

if we could stop that then we would cut out huge numbers of dogs in rescue.

if we could educate morons who want "hard" dogs such as staffies etc for the wrong reasons we would cut out huge numbers of dogs in rescue.

IF IF IF - unfortunately there isnt the interest from government, the money or the system to do that at the moment and all we can do is keep supporting rescues AND making sure that we keep buying our puppies from REPUTABLE RESPONSIBLE and PROVEN breeders and reporting those that are not, over and over again until something works.

I feel the same way you do Tinklady about the rescue situation but the answer is NOT to just stop breeding and there are no quick fixes so many many dogs will continue to die which is very very sad.

You have come to a wonderful site ut we do have many breeders on here and i trust that most if not all are reputable as if you dont have a genuine love for dogs then you wouldnt be on this site
. IMO

Patch - I also think as ever your initial post was very well worded.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 09:48 PM
I agree i did at first, but after Patches post i wanted to change my tone, which i felt i did, but you seem to just carry on attacking just like you did with beauster.

I do think you changed your tone
Sometimes it can take a few posts for any ruffled feathers to settle, [ on all sides ], and sometimes people will answer a post as they come to it [ which I do all the time myself ], and often see posts have been answered or discussed / resolved etc further along the thread after responding to where people were at the time so that can sometimes give the impression of brittleness carrying on until everyone see`s where there have been resolutions as they catch up but threads usually get on track quite quickly after that :smt001

You have to remember also, its so hard to read the tone of a post because we can`t see each other to know what the inflection would be if speaking so what might look abrupt is often not meant to be and its easy to take things the wrong way ie a question looking like a statement so comes out the wrong way, and it does tend to happen more on emotive subjects - frustration can appear to be anger, a plea can appear to be an attack, that sort of thing.

I do think its always a little more difficult for newer members on forums, not because of any heirachy or anything like that but simply because it takes a little time for people to get to know each other and to get used to each others writing styles. Dogsey members do pride ourselves on having a real community and family feel, we care about each other a great deal and we do want new members to feel welcome - it just needs a bit of give and take - so many other forums are horrible battle grounds - here we prefer discussion, and yes heated debate some times, but what you will find here is that you can feel at loggerheads with someone on one topic but laugh together in another - it does`nt mean anyone is compromising their beliefs to do that it just means we can all get along much better than if we carried grudges from thread to thread.

I know you have`nt had time yet to find your way around the forum and to join in much on other threads but hopefully you will when your time enables you to so you can get to know us as well as us getting to know you, then you`ll find this really is`nt like other forums where posters are just some name on a screen.
I suspect you probably feel a bit `outnumbered` at the moment but I hope you`ll give us all the chance to show you its not like that here
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Now that is one thing you CANNOT say about this site! I am a prime example of that! I am pro hunting, shooting and working terriers, yet everyone respects eachothers opinions, we may disagree from time to time, but this really is one of the fairest sites you will find anywhere on the net!
Dawn.
I can only voice what i felt and that was not welcomed, although like i said before that hasnt been the case with everyone.
I hope that the future here is a lot freindlier and i shall do my best to return that .
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
phew well that was hard work reading all those pages !!

Firstly a warm welcome to the newer members posting on this thread.

Secondly - as a rescue dog owner who will inevitably be rescue for the rest of her life I would like to say that i agree wholeheartedly with muttzrule's post - rachael you have perfectly worded how i feel about it.

I too think that there are far too many dogs bred - however its not the responsible breeders that we worry about - its all the others, tom dick and harry letting their dog have a litter as its better for them etc etc etc !!!

if we could stop that then we would cut out huge numbers of dogs in rescue.

if we could educate morons who want "hard" dogs such as staffies etc for the wrong reasons we would cut out huge numbers of dogs in rescue.

IF IF IF - unfortunately there isnt the interest from government, the money or the system to do that at the moment and all we can do is keep supporting rescues AND making sure that we keep buying our puppies from REPUTABLE RESPONSIBLE and PROVEN breeders and reporting those that are not, over and over again until something works.

I feel the same way you do Tinklady about the rescue situation but the answer is NOT to just stop breeding and there are no quick fixes so many many dogs will continue to die which is very very sad.

You have come to a wonderful site ut we do have many breeders on here and i trust that most if not all are reputable as if you dont have a genuine love for dogs then you wouldnt be on this site
. IMO

Patch - I also think as ever your initial post was very well worded.
Thank you.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I do think you changed your tone
Sometimes it can take a few posts for any ruffled feathers to settle, [ on all sides ], and sometimes people will answer a post as they come to it [ which I do all the time myself ], and often see posts have been answered or discussed / resolved etc further along the thread after responding to where people were at the time so that can sometimes give the impression of brittleness carrying on until everyone see`s where there have been resolutions as they catch up but threads usually get on track quite quickly after that :smt001

You have to remember also, its so hard to read the tone of a post because we can`t see each other to know what the inflection would be if speaking so what might look abrupt is often not meant to be and its easy to take things the wrong way ie a question looking like a statement so comes out the wrong way, and it does tend to happen more on emotive subjects - frustration can appear to be anger, a plea can appear to be an attack, that sort of thing.

I do think its always a little more difficult for newer members on forums, not because of any heirachy or anything like that but simply because it takes a little time for people to get to know each other and to get used to each others writing styles. Dogsey members do pride ourselves on having a real community and family feel, we care about each other a great deal and we do want new members to feel welcome - it just needs a bit of give and take - so many other forums are horrible battle grounds - here we prefer discussion, and yes heated debate some times, but what you will find here is that you can feel at loggerheads with someone on one topic but laugh together in another - it does`nt mean anyone is compromising their beliefs to do that it just means we can all get along much better than if we carried grudges from thread to thread.

I know you have`nt had time yet to find your way around the forum and to join in much on other threads but hopefully you will when your time enables you to so you can get to know us as well as us getting to know you, then you`ll find this really is`nt like other forums where posters are just some name on a screen.
I suspect you probably feel a bit `outnumbered` at the moment but I hope you`ll give us all the chance to show you its not like that here
I hope so to, thank you.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Now that is one thing you CANNOT say about this site! I am a prime example of that! I am pro hunting, shooting and working terriers, yet everyone respects eachothers opinions,
*Patch, the anti hunting vegetarian, pokes Dawn in the eye :smt016 *
Three words for you Dawn - Dog Agility Rules :smt077

we may disagree from time to time,
Heh, you and I never :smt062 do we - much :smt044

but this really is one of the fairest sites you will find anywhere on the net!
Dawn.
Ya just had to say something I could`nt disagree with did`nt ya Dawn :smt019

tinkladyv, you`ll not get a much better example of two people, [ Dawn and I ], with some seriously opposing views and beliefs yet can have a right laugh with each other and happily natter about all sorts of things - I think a lot of people here would probably remember that at one time it would look more likely for the Earth to be declared to be a cube by the scientific world than for Dawn and I to ever see eye to eye on anything
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 10:24 PM
I agree, but please look into breed rescue, there you can get a pup and you can then show it too.
I disagree - I have been involved with a breed rescue for over twenty years, by involved I mean very involved inasmuch as it takes over your whole life.

I can count on one hand the number of pups we have had through rescue over the years, personally I hate it when we do. It is hard enough work finding the right home for one of our adult dogs which may or may not have behavioural problems, trying to get the right home for a young pup is a nightmare. Just think - if we get it wrong we will probably get that dog back at roughly 18 months as a hooligan and then have the devil of a job finding another home for it.

Whereas responsible breeders have potential puppy owners who have (hopefully) researched their chosen breed and are willing to pay the going rate for their pup, we have, in many occasions but not all, people who just want a cheap pedigree dog and see rescue as a way of getting one. Please, owners of rescued dogs, don't be offended, i am speaking from my experiences with the people that I have dealt with. Only last week a lady(?) rang me asking for a rescued pup, no more that 10 weeks, she openly said that if she had £600 she would be going to a breeder but was hoping to get one cheaper from us, you really don't want to know what my answer was,

Don't get me wrong I am not in favour of breeding, I am too involved with rescue and it would be a conflict of interests, but there are many people out there who, for one reason or another, are just not suited to a rescue dog and a puppy would fit their family much better. Those people need to be able to get a healthy, well reared pup otherwise the next time we hear about their dog is when they want to hand it in to rescue.

The final point I would like to make is that pedigree papers are not given by breed rescues so it would not be able to be shown except at companion show level. A lot of fun can be had a companion shows but if the owner wished to take their dog further they would be unable to do that with a rescued dog.
Page 16 of 32 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »