Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Kingbilly is now on a 3 month ban so you will be waiting some time for a response!
Becky
Whew!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2009, 10:45 AM
first i will say i now know there are good and bad breeders in every field

but

many people breed to the type that is winning so even if the breed standard states more varity of colours or less jowel or whatever lots of the dogs we see will be clones of the winning type
and the more we see something the more normal it becomes

breeding to standard was supposed to keep the breed looking the same and move it towards better health
but there have been plenty threads on here showing how much the breeds have changed since the standard was written

and the standards sometimes have been changed to include fashions, like the slope of back in gsd

also, although i know many breeders take temprament and health as a most inportant factor in breeding as there is money involved there are people who only take winning as the most important thing, and lets face it can a judge really tell the temprament in the short time it spends with the dog trained for that situation?

i have been able to train mia to her kcgcc bronze, she knew how to behaive in that room with those dogs for that amount of time, but her temprament is not something you would want to breed from

personaly i believe health and temprament are the most important
form does not follow function

i am pretty sure it would be possible in a fairly short period of time to taake a breed and breed it to look like a border collie
but if you were not breeding for inteligence, eye, working ability, stamina, off switch then all you would have is a lab in a tux

if an eye or coat colour is naturally occuring with no associated health problems then it shouldnt be considered a fault
it shouldnt be deliberatly bred for either as that means selecting colour over health.
Page 16 of 16 « First < 6 13 14 15 16