Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 05:17 AM
ROFLMAO

This thread is almost more entertaining (and certainly more amusing) than the programme itself.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 05:51 AM
I do think some people are missing the point about this programme. Viewers should be focussing on the person, not the dog (although I realise that, for dog lovers, that is difficult ). The whole point is not that the subjects of the programme learn how to train these already trained dogs properly, it is that they show clearly how it is the person's fault that their own dog is so badly behaved and to illustrate this they must have a 'light bulb' moment in the way they approach these trained dogs. I'm sure the most even tempered dogs were picked for these two to pair up with - can't see them using Titan, for example!

The BBC may be trying to educate the public but their business is entertainment, first and foremost!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 05:58 AM
Very well said indeed.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 06:20 AM
Sorry I have not read all the reviews.....but I thought the program was good.

If I were dangling Im sure Id be licking my lips, but it showed me exactly what I thought about those two Brits and how they were handling their dogs at home.

As for those dogs that were trained my hat goes off to them as they had to place so much trust in a novice handler and DID

I have to say I'd love a go at that, IMO those dogs were fantastic to watch with such superb stable temperaments
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Mixed feelings. Hated the prong collars. Didn't like the fact that shouting seemed to = authoritative. I think there's a difference, you can be assetive and pick a good tone, but the line often seemed to cross into unnecessary shouting.

On the other hand, stunning dogs and it was wonderful to see them able to negotiate some of that equipment.

What worries me is some of the messages that can be sent. For example, apparently whatever that girl learned there was claimed to have "magically" cured Schmoo I don't believe that for a second. Rubbish. But how many people out there then think "oh, I have a big bitey dog, all I need is a prong collar and to shout at it and it'll be cured like Schmoo!" Dangerous. I know the BBC aren't responsible for what people try to repeat, but I feel it could have a similar effect to CM.

I also failed to see how the first girl would have learned anything to help her address her dogs separation anxiety

Sigh, I dunno. As said, mixed feelings.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 08:21 AM
I switched off early on last night - awful.

Prong/pinch collars are not recommended for dogs in the UK, they say, however, it's okay to use them on dogs elsewere? Odd. A dog is a dog regardless of where in the world it is!

Dogs can be and are trained without the use of prong collars.

And if their training is so good, they can train their dogs more humanely without using such nasty devices. They would also be able to control their dogs properly without all that shouting.

Would be better if they'd just got some good UK trainers to help them deal with their dogs better, but then that wouldn't be as dramatic.
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2012, 09:17 AM
I didn't like the methods they used, but that's because I'm a pet owner. Military dogs are an entirely different animal, and the amount of control they had even when absailing down walls and dunked under water was just amazing, not to mention necessary in real, dangerous scenarios. Like the guy (Mike?) said, you may not advocate his training methods but at the same time these working dogs serve a very real purpose.

That aside, I too don't like the 'magical' way the owner's dogs appear to be vastly improved but that's obviously down to tactful editing more than improved handling I just hope that people don't watch the show and think that screaming orders at their dogs is the key to control. Overall, much preferred last weeks but looking forward to the next one!

Also wow, add Dutch Shepherd to my wish list!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
I do think some people are missing the point about this programme. Viewers should be focussing on the person, not the dog (although I realise that, for dog lovers, that is difficult ). The whole point is not that the subjects of the programme learn how to train these already trained dogs properly, it is that they show clearly how it is the person's fault that their own dog is so badly behaved and to illustrate this they must have a 'light bulb' moment in the way they approach these trained dogs. I'm sure the most even tempered dogs were picked for these two to pair up with - can't see them using Titan, for example!

The BBC may be trying to educate the public but their business is entertainment, first and foremost!
Absolutely!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Sorry I have not read all the reviews.....but I thought the program was good.

If I were dangling Im sure Id be licking my lips, but it showed me exactly what I thought about those two Brits and how they were handling their dogs at home.

As for those dogs that were trained my hat goes off to them as they had to place so much trust in a novice handler and DID

I have to say I'd love a go at that, IMO those dogs were fantastic to watch with such superb stable temperaments
Me too! It would be an amazing experience. It showed what superb temperaments those dogs had to allow complete strangers, and novices at that, to handle them and put them in dangerous situations and yet they didn't bat an eyelid. Absolutely brilliant.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Didn't like the fact that shouting seemed to = authoritative. I think there's a difference, you can be assetive and pick a good tone, but the line often seemed to cross into unnecessary shouting.
To be fair, the trainers did keep saying that - reinforcing the fact that these dogs needed to be controlled but quietly.
Page 16 of 43 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »