Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Have just read through all the replies and am utterly speechless and so angry

Cant believe much of what was posted by Craig and Lorna -especially
"by eliminating dog aggressive dogs from the gene pool you will lose so many good dogs"

Im sorry but
what makes a""good " dog that you refer to?
AND
why the hell would you want adopt a dog aggressive dog-WHY?????

ALso
There are so many NON aggressive staffies put to sleep every day
Why in the name of God ,would you want to add to this number ,by breeding dog aggressive staffies?

Who do you home them to?
Who is going to give them a loving home?
-NOT the ordinary family who is trying to accept that staffies are a loving faimly pet-which is what we are all trying to convince people

NO - it will be the scum bags who WANT an aggressive staffy- as a status symbol
you only have to walk the streets today to see that and I pity those dogs so much

Many of these are advertised on the internet with absolutely NO check on the homes they go to,because the people who sell them dont give **** about who takes them -they are only interested in the £ s d of it all
( showing my age now)-

just trying to lighten this a little as I am SO frustrated by what is happening ,day in and day out in this so called "animal loving" country
(My daughter ,Jane,has a rescue staffy ,Daisy,who absolutely HATES other dogs)
She was a stray so we have no info on her background

I was disappointed that SHE WAS D.A.
I visualised walking our dogs ( now "dog" as we lost our collie cross Lulu in January) with Daisy

Given the choice I know Jane would have wanted a non aggressive dog-she is now restricted as to where she can walk Daisy
Yet Daisy is the most loving laid back dog you could wish for

Why would you want a dog aggressive Daisy?
Who does that make happier-certainly not my daughter and certainly not Daisy!!!!!!!!

A friend I made through another forum site-who now posts on here lost her dog in April
-we" met" because we both had lost our dogs -me in January and her in April

She has now adopted a lovely female rescue staffy -
she debated LONG and hard about doing this and we E mailed each other every day about what she should do

I told he about Daisy and how she HATED other dogs as I knew that SHE would want a dog she could walk and in that way be able to meet other dog owners

Her new dog has proved to be great with all the dogs she has met and she has brought such great JOY to my friend who has now accepted that SHE is able to give the love she had so much of to another poor dog ,who was waiting for HE to come along

So my question remains
-why on earth would you want to add to the ever increasing and horrifying numbers of staffies in rescues by breeding????????

Oh and by the way I have worked for 10 years in Rescue many sleepless night
(and this was before the staffie problem we have now)
Maureen
MrsC
New Member!
Female 

27-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Interesting discussion..hi everyone, this is my first post. About an hour ago I was over the park with my lab Daisy (she's 1) and 2 STB's attacked her. I was not aware that they are known for being DA, I'm certainly aware now. However, I have to take some responsibility as she is one of those 'just being friendly' kinda dogs that I've read a few disparaging comments about. She really is embarrassingly friendly. She went over to these dogs (who were also off lead so I wrongly assumed they were friendly too). So I have been working on the assumption on the lead equals don't let you dog bother us and off the lead meaning happy to play. Clearly I've got that wrong so the million dollar question is how do I know who she can play with?! I was really shaken today and had to peel those dogs off her while being told they've never done that before.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Sorry to hear about Daisy. Usually if off lead it is assumed they are ok but most of us I think I speak for the majority of us always check first now before letting our dog greet even off lead dogs as we have at some point all been caught out.

So many people now even with dog aggressive dogs let them off lead. Its a bit of a minefield best to err on the side of caution.
MrsC
New Member!
Female 

27-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi Lynn

Thanks for the reply, very good idea! In the old days (ok, I'm not that old but I'm talking pre kids!) when I lived at home we had 3 dogs and they were walked over the same park roughly the same time each day. So of course you'd see the same people and dogs and everyone knew each other. Now with work, school run etc to factor in we have to fit the walks in at different times so often see different dogs all the time. I will be taking your advice and I'll stick her on the lead unless the owner's told me the dogs are ok (and they haven't started chewing on her leg!!).

Daisy is ok though, I gave her some extra biscuits!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by MrsC View Post
Hi Lynn

Thanks for the reply, very good idea! In the old days (ok, I'm not that old but I'm talking pre kids!) when I lived at home we had 3 dogs and they were walked over the same park roughly the same time each day. So of course you'd see the same people and dogs and everyone knew each other. Now with work, school run etc to factor in we have to fit the walks in at different times so often see different dogs all the time. I will be taking your advice and I'll stick her on the lead unless the owner's told me the dogs are ok (and they haven't started chewing on her leg!!).

Daisy is ok though, I gave her some extra biscuits!

My Lab is the same, he always wants to go rushing over to meet every dog he sees

Unfortunately there are dogs that are unfriendly and one cannot judge by breed, so I keep my dog on a Flexi lead at the park unless I know the dog and know they are friendly.

When we meet new dogs, I check with the owner, unless I can see the dog is already playing well with others. At that point I will let Dexter off leash to enjoy a play.

My brother's Lab had precisely the same thing as you - he's ten and he wandered over to greet some off leash dogs. One of them then mauled him to within an inch of his life

All this aside, welcome to the forum - pics of your Lab please ?
MrsC
New Member!
Female 

27-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Hi Tabitha, I'll have a go at getting some pics up. Give me time!! This is my first ever go on a forum and I'm not great with pc's. Might even have to resort to asking hubby for help (ugh!)
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Hi Tabitha, I'll have a go at getting some pics up. Give me time!! This is my first ever go on a forum and I'm not great with pc's. Might even have to resort to asking hubby for help (ugh!)

No rush

When you do come to post pics, then photobucket is a good way to do it. You can copy and paste the link code they give you specifically for forums etc.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Mother and daughter staff I know and love in rescue have just got a new home , but imagine that, even though the daughters da mother and daughter and perfect together.
MrsC
New Member!
Female 

27-08-2011, 05:35 PM
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb337/Daisywaisy1/

Has this worked?!! If so, you should see a pic of Daisy in the snow. If not, sorry but I'll go back to the drawing board!!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 05:42 PM
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb337/Daisywaisy1/

Has this worked?!! If so, you should see a pic of Daisy in the snow. If not, sorry but I'll go back to the drawing board!!

Lovely picture
Page 16 of 18 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 >