Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
- no such thing as a Normal class

when I joined it had ceased being just self defence and we were doing 'proper' Wanna say BJA? (or may have been BJS - the one that allows coke and strangle holds)
I only made it through 2 gradings and got my orange belt.
Cool, I've not been doing it that long, so am working towards my second one currently. I keep forgetting the names for the throws/holds I'm doing, its just something that ends in an i lol.

Yip, no such thing as a normal class, mine can get a bit confusing as 8 of the people in it share a name with someone else, 5 have one name and 3 another.

I thought it was only the junior ages that didn't/weren't allowed to use strangles and bonelocks, though I'm probably wrong there.

Anyway, just to get back on topic for an sec, I notice that none of the cm supporters have commented on the vid I posted in response to someone else earlier.
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2010, 09:34 PM
is that the video of the husky type dog???

if so i dont agree with strangling the dog!!! i never did but if they are used correctly i think slip leads ect are ok, thats all im saying he took it way to far there which is why im not a complete supporter, i just agree with some of his ideas. like pack animal type things and rules, boundries ect...

he should have gone about it differently, he put the dog in that situation and handled it not very well, i think the dog was going for him because it was uncomfortable and couldnt breathe. but other times he has done good and really helped the dog. imo!!!
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-10-2010, 09:44 PM
reply to video
he went wrong with that one. shouldnt have got into that situation. but he did end up in that situation and he had to see it through, if he hadnt he would of got bitten, and the dog would have been in a worse state than when it started.
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2010, 09:47 PM
he still got bitten though! dont know the background of the dog though so its hard to judge it but it diddnt look to nice.

i personally would have done things differently, not sure what though
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 11:02 PM
He purposely put the dog in that situation and set the dog up to fail so he could punish the behaviour. At no time was the dog rewarded for not reacting, just punished when he did react. Typical CM to be honest, all punishment and no reward. And the dog fought him. If my dog fought me like that he'd come out on top because he's so much stronger than I am. That's another problem I have with this sort of training, what happens when you're not physically capable of using brute force to get your dog to comply?

Now, I have been in that sort of situation in real life with my own reactive dog, it happens. Loose dogs get too close, you turn a corner and come face to face with another dog etc. The best thing to do imo is get away as quickly as possible. The dog learns nothing when it's that stressed out. When the situation does arise I don't even attempt to train, I just get Rupe out of the situation ASAP so he can begin to calm down. I body block and move into his space to remove him from situations like that. It's not ideal but then nothing is going to be ideal when it happens. Of course the best thing is not to let it happen in the first place but real life doesn't always go to plan.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 06:03 AM
Originally Posted by airedaleowner View Post
is that the video of the husky type dog???

if so i dont agree with strangling the dog!!! i never did but if they are used correctly i think slip leads ect are ok, thats all im saying he took it way to far there which is why im not a complete supporter, i just agree with some of his ideas. like pack animal type things and rules, boundries ect...

he should have gone about it differently, he put the dog in that situation and handled it not very well, i think the dog was going for him because it was uncomfortable and couldnt breathe. but other times he has done good and really helped the dog. imo!!!
But thats why he uses them, so he can strangle them! So they cant breathe them shut down so he can say they are now calm

I dont mind a slip lead, but not used for that & NOT used on a pup, infact not used for training at all, Only for conveience on a trained dog.
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2010, 08:56 AM
i already know everyone doesnt like the slip lead on a puppy!!! no need to keep repeating it!!!

he isnt exactly a small delicate little thing he is the size of a lab and very chunky!!! i still think they are ok to use just not like he did in the video.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 09:01 AM
i already know everyone doesnt like the slip lead on a puppy!!! no need to keep repeating it!!!

he isnt exactly a small delicate little thing he is the size of a lab and very chunky!!! i still think they are ok to use just not like he did in the video.
Does size really matter?
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2010, 09:04 AM
well if he was small and delicate then i could understand all this damage stuff you are saying. but he is bulkier and stronger and so the lead isnt exactly doing any harm. he isnt even pulling on it so i dont understand why its such a bad thing????
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 09:08 AM
well if he was small and delicate then i could understand all this damage stuff you are saying. but he is bulkier and stronger and so the lead isnt exactly doing any harm. he isnt even pulling on it so i dont understand why its such a bad thing????
But he is a baby.....he is still developing....if he is not pulling fine - but (I thought) earlier you said you had used it for correction.....
Page 16 of 24 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »