Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: do you think 12 weeks is to young to neuter a puppy
yes 83 83.00%
no 12 12.00%
dont know 2 2.00%
sitting on the fence 3 3.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 37 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 02:54 AM
Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
I guess that's put me in my place and I guess that will be the end of me on this chat forum then....I wouldn't want to rub anyone up the wrong way....and I myself love crossbreeds and find it sad that responsible breeders find them undersirable...perhaps they want to save their business.....It was nice talking but think it best for me to retire from here!

Don`t leave just because of a different way of thinking on a topic - all views are valued for discussions and disagreeing on a topic does`nt mean you`ll be at war on another with anyone you might disagree with on something - believe me I`ve had battles on some subjects but have then gone to a different topic and absolutely agreed with the same people on something else, and have a good laugh and good natured ribbing around the forum
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 03:06 AM
I myself love crossbreeds and find it sad that responsible breeders find them undersirable...perhaps they want to save their business !
They simply like to preserve the breeds as they are, for the good of the breed for future generations.

One last thing......the breeder I bought my dog from is not irresponsible and takes very good care of what she breeds from and looks after them
Being a responsible breeder isn't about looking after them !, it's about preserving the breed by years of looking at their lines and looking into eradicating health issues, so to breed that breed to standard and continuing it for the future.

By all means, many people here will never agree on certain issues and fight tooth and nail on one suject then share out reppy points on another issue.

It's not personal, it's a chat forum, where discussions, debates and laughs take place.

I will never agree with Patch on the issue in this thread, but I still like to :smt019 her now again, just for good measure
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I will never agree with Patch on the issue in this thread, but I still like to :smt019 her now again, just for good measure
And you know how much I like collecting the raspberries, I work hard for them after all :smt023

And now, I really must get to bed, night all :smt058 nite Malady :smt062 :smt016 :smt003
Hobbit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2007, 06:22 AM
Okay I get the gist of it......but I'll wait to give my opinion until everyone knows me a bit better....I'm a bit of a people pleaser - I hate conflict...although my husband does say I'm argumentative!

Nice to know you all have a sense of humour - just what I need right now!

See you all tomorrow!
lisa@mayhew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
What I'm trying to explain on this thread is there is no difference between neutering a pup at 12 weeks -early neutering, to the standard age of neutering at 6 months or so, and to point out that it has been proven to be safer and kinder,
:smt001
Please explain to them (once you've had some sleep) as I'm obviously not doing a very good job
I understand what you're saying Anne, I think you've explained yourself very cleary and you're absolutely correct.
lisa@mayhew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Could the ones that are going purely as pets be neutered or neutering followed up if against early neutering?
Again I agree
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 01:04 PM
I ahven't checked out the links...no time, but out of interest are there any longterm studies on the social implications for animals neutered at 12 weeks?
lisa@mayhew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I ahven't checked out the links...no time, but out of interest are there any longterm studies on the social implications for animals neutered at 12 weeks?
"The research available on the physical, behavioral, short and long-term effects of prepubescent neutering in dogs and cats shows no adverse results. Based on this information, the American Humane Association supports this practice as a feasible solution to decreasing pet overpopulation and the tragedy of resulting deaths. Early sterilization practices are also endorsed by the American Veterinary Medical Association, the American Animal Hospital Association and the California Veterinary Medical Association."
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks thats great.
I wold like to see the evidence though rather than a blanket statement!
lisa@mayhew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2007, 01:56 PM
"This early age neutering sparked a storm of controversy, because in veterinary medicine the mantra is “We fear change.” Because of this controversy, many studies were undertaken to more fully evaluate the effects of early age sterilization in dogs and cats.

In the last 10-15 years, the following findings have emerged concerning prepubertal neutering.

1 Animals neutered prior to a full maturity live longer on the average- dogs live 1-3 years longer and cats live 3-5 years longer
2 There is a sharp decrease in certain cancers, particularly mammary cancer.
3 Prostatitis, perianal tumors, testicular cancer, perianal bernias, ovarian cyst, ovarian and uterine tumors and pyometras are examples of common medical problems impacted by neutering,
4 There are anesthetic agents and anesthetic protocols that are well documented for animals as young as 6-8 weeks.
5 Young animals recover much faster from surgery due to higher metabolic rates, less bleeding during surgery, and shorter overall surgical time.
6 There is even growing evidence that early age neutering has positive effects on socialization and behavior in many animals.
7 One clear physiological fact that has emerged is these animals tend to have slightly increased skeletal bone growth (taller) and stay leaner longer that their adult counterparts neutered at an older age."
http://www.plannedpethoodplus.com/ad...spay+my+pet%3F
Closed Thread
Page 16 of 37 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »