Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Gnasher---can I suggest that you add to your excellent education and try reading this.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/science...7-dog-usat.htm

rune
thanks for that most interesting link Rune. It has worried me I have to say in terms of e-coli.

I worm my dogs every 12 weeks with Panacur for a period of 7 days each time because of their repeated giardia infections (caused by the disgusting practice of farmers spreading human sewage on the crops at the back of our house). They therefore will be free from nasties such as giardia, lung worm, hook, tape worms, round worms, or the other nasty parasites that dogs carry.

We also worm occasionally with Drontal to cover such things as e-coli. However, I am not sure now whether Drontal will kill the e-coli ... does anyone know? I have googled Drontal and e-coli, but couldn't find anything, which is worrying me.

Certainly, if I thought that my dogs were carrying e-coli in their guts and that could be transferred from their faeces into the sea water, then I most certainly would not be burying their faeces in the sand, however deep and however wet. E-coli is present naturally in the soil, so I can't see the harm in sticking and flicking though.

On the other hand, dogs in the USA are very different in terms of their flora and fauna than dogs in this country. For example, giardia is endemic in the States, and at the moment it is still rare in the UK (although will doubtless get worse if this practice of spreading human sewage on the fields continues). Dog owners in the States are not as good as we are in the UK at worming our dogs, so it is perfectly possible that there is a problem with e-coli from dog faeces over there which would not exist her in the UK - that is assuming that Panacur or Drontal does kill the e-coli bacterium.

But thanks for that very interesting article, I have read it and I found it very interesting.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Actually, I HAVE read the whole thread, which has why it has taken me a while to reply.

As long as the plastic bags do biodegrade, whats the problem?
I often take my dogs poo home in bags and flush it down the loo because there are no poo bins.

Sorry, but I still think it's yuck.
I go on the beach all year round...high tide here is where the sea wall is. So the high tide line is right where kids play.
we do get the occasional nice day in winter and the beaches are full.
Even at low tide people are still right out (a mile or so), walking dogs, playing games, doing sports etc.
Surely the water can bring these things up the surface?

I didn't know salt killed parasites and eggs?
I know it kills slugs.....
Even on gorgeous days - yes, Devon in January was gorgeous this year - there were probably at the very most 30 people on this beach - 6 miles long!! And absolutely no children playing or digging in the sand. This beach has a large area of beautiful sand above the high tide mark, probably at least 30 feet even at the spring tides, so no way would anyone dig up my dog poo!!

No, the water does not bring the poo up - it is ground up by the action of the waves on the wet sand. I bury it deep!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
i'm not about to start comparing a mass murderer to not picking up dog poo ... sorry!

O Lord, this is hard ...

Madison, I'm not, I am merely trying to illustrate how just because something is easier, or because everyone else does it, it does not make it right.

I had to giggle though ...
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
O Lord, this is hard ...

Madison, I'm not, I am merely trying to illustrate how just because something is easier, or because everyone else does it, it does not make it right.

I had to giggle though ...
I agree completely, the easiest route isn't necessarily the best route in all circumstances ... but say for example, your poo burying on the beach caused the local council to ban all dogs from the beach no matter what the weather? this would not only affect yourself, but every other dog owner that uses that particular beach.

isn't the use of the beach worth biting your tongue over?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 04:02 PM
thanks for that most interesting link Rune. It has worried me I have to say in terms of e-coli.

I worm my dogs every 12 weeks with Panacur for a period of 7 days each time because of their repeated giardia infections (caused by the disgusting practice of farmers spreading human sewage on the crops at the back of our house). They therefore will be free from nasties such as giardia, lung worm, hook, tape worms, round worms, or the other nasty parasites that dogs carry.

We also worm occasionally with Drontal to cover such things as e-coli. However, I am not sure now whether Drontal will kill the e-coli ... does anyone know? I have googled Drontal and e-coli, but couldn't find anything, which is worrying me.

Certainly, if I thought that my dogs were carrying e-coli in their guts and that could be transferred from their faeces into the sea water, then I most certainly would not be burying their faeces in the sand, however deep and however wet. E-coli is present naturally in the soil, so I can't see the harm in sticking and flicking though.

On the other hand, dogs in the USA are very different in terms of their flora and fauna than dogs in this country. For example, giardia is endemic in the States, and at the moment it is still rare in the UK (although will doubtless get worse if this practice of spreading human sewage on the fields continues). Dog owners in the States are not as good as we are in the UK at worming our dogs, so it is perfectly possible that there is a problem with e-coli from dog faeces over there which would not exist her in the UK - that is assuming that Panacur or Drontal does kill the e-coli bacterium.

But thanks for that very interesting article, I have read it and I found it very interesting.
You seem to have missed salmonella out---how do you ensure they don't carry that? Test at the vets maybe?

rune
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Something that has just occurred to me ... after the last giardia infection, my boys were tested for e-coli, staphylococcus aureus, campylobacter, and another one beginning with c, and they were all clear.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You seem to have missed salmonella out---how do you ensure they don't carry that? Test at the vets maybe?

rune
Yes actually!!! See my other post - I'd forgotten salmonella, and there was another "c" that I cannot remember.

They also take Metronidazole when they get a bad attack of giardia - that is a very very strong ab which kills everything known to man, so i think I can safely say they are as germ-free almost as much as dogs kept in sterile conditions.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
I agree completely, the easiest route isn't necessarily the best route in all circumstances ... but say for example, your poo burying on the beach caused the local council to ban all dogs from the beach no matter what the weather? this would not only affect yourself, but every other dog owner that uses that particular beach.

isn't the use of the beach worth biting your tongue over?
How are the council going to know? Come on now, this is getting fanciful. From a distance, it would look like we were digging for worms. The only reason this man accosted us was because he actually chased us down the beach to catch up with us and tell us off!
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Since when did sea water kill parasites? Has anyone informed all the salt water fish parasites of this?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

26-07-2012, 04:18 PM
We should all care far more about the damage done to the planet, quite frankly!!

I do like the side of the biodegradable paper bags and cardboard shovels though - I will look into those. But if I can't get hold of any, I and my trusty spade will continue to bury faeces on beaches and in the woods.
Yet you drive 200 miles to a beach with you spade, or do you ride a push bike?
Page 16 of 26 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »