Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2007, 09:17 AM
chill out, just having a lafff!

followed your advice, googled....kinda justified my humour now i have found about out the willy warmer bit of the trim
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Nelson's Mum View Post
OK , why do poodle owners give them stupid hair cuts ??
They were originally clipped to suit the job they were bred for which involved water work. The coat was left in place over joints for warmth in cold weather and non joint areas clipped or shaved to aid bouyancy and movement in water [ so not too heavy / too slow in water ]. The show clip is a way to have the breed seen how would have looked as a working dog way back when, [ a homage to the original reason behind the purpose of the breed I suppose but a Poodle Show`er would be better commenting on that side of it as I`m just guessing thats why the breed has kept the clip for the Show ring ? ], but the clip and variations of it has become exaggerated over time - but then someone using the dog during hunting was probably more concerned with working ability aided by the clip than hours of grooming for the show ring.

Generally speaking, poodle coat care is quite intense on time as its of a type easily matted and as it does`nt particularly shed can be uncomfortable for the dog without the right attention.
Personally, if I had a Poodle, [ which would have been fully tailed had I had one before the ban anyway ], I would have the dog `pet clipped` [ short all over ].
I`m not keen on the look of the Show clip myself, I think it detracts from people in general, [ certainly non-doggy people anyway ], seeing the intelligence, bravery, and heart of the breed because of the visual image of `pampered airhead` to those who don`t know the origins of the show clips.

But I am Agility minded too so I think a pet cut is aerodynamically better anyway :smt044

Lovely to see obviously Show Poodles competing in agility though, that does enhance their reputation as more than being a pampered toy which some people perceive them as.

As has been mentioned, while modern Show clips are mainly for aesthetic preference these days, clipping a coat is not painful to the dog, and it grows back
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Which ever way you view it, Poodles were "traditionally clipped" and dogs were "traditionally docked" I dont believe docking is cruel, but if you want to view docking as cosmetic, then clipping as sure as hell is, and to be fair and honest, it does look ridiculous, not to mention dying coats, hairspray etc.. etc..
Dawn.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't use hairspray, nor dye as both are against KC regs!
Becky
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 10:26 AM
I am glad tail docking has been stopped. Have always hated it. I honestly cant see the reason for it except cosmetic. A tail is part of a way a dog communicates. I just cant see the point of cutting off a dogs tail in case it might be injured. That doesn't make sense to me at all. Why put poor pups through this. They are bound to feel pain.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 10:36 AM
I cannot see how cutting off something with a blood supply, bone, nerves and tissue is comparable to cutting off something that is dead, nerve free, with no bone or blood supply.
How is it comparable?????
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I don't use hairspray, nor dye as both are against KC regs!
Becky
I know that becky, but you know as well as I do its commonplace, likewise chalk in Bull Terriers.
Dawn.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I agree, one reason I wont do it. I want my dogs to be judged as a dog not on my 'pruning' abilities!
Becky
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
They were originally clipped to suit the job they were bred for which involved water work. The coat was left in place over joints for warmth in cold weather and non joint areas clipped or shaved to aid bouyancy and movement in water [ so not too heavy / too slow in water ]. The show clip is a way to have the breed seen how would have looked as a working dog way back when, [ a homage to the original reason behind the purpose of the breed I suppose but a Poodle Show`er would be better commenting on that side of it as I`m just guessing thats why the breed has kept the clip for the Show ring ? ], but the clip and variations of it has become exaggerated over time - but then someone using the dog during hunting was probably more concerned with working ability aided by the clip than hours of grooming for the show ring.

Generally speaking, poodle coat care is quite intense on time as its of a type easily matted and as it does`nt particularly shed can be uncomfortable for the dog without the right attention.
Personally, if I had a Poodle, [ which would have been fully tailed had I had one before the ban anyway ], I would have the dog `pet clipped` [ short all over ].
I`m not keen on the look of the Show clip myself, I think it detracts from people in general, [ certainly non-doggy people anyway ], seeing the intelligence, bravery, and heart of the breed because of the visual image of `pampered airhead` to those who don`t know the origins of the show clips.

But I am Agility minded too so I think a pet cut is aerodynamically better anyway :smt044

Lovely to see obviously Show Poodles competing in agility though, that does enhance their reputation as more than being a pampered toy which some people perceive them as.

As has been mentioned, while modern Show clips are mainly for aesthetic preference these days, clipping a coat is not painful to the dog, and it grows back
hi patch - pardon the pun, but your theory about clipping to aid bouyancy in water does'nt hold up, hair traps air when the dog goes into water , look at newfies , i hope nobody goes and clips them !!
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Hair cuts don't hurt
yes, provided the scissors or clippers don't slip !
Page 16 of 30 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »